What did you and your pup work on today?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:29 pm

rivercountry i sent you a pm

yesterday was an off day we have worked hard for well over a week straight with a pretty hard weekend so we both deserved it.

but today we were back at it and found a little channel blind (mostly running water) about 6ft wide and 15yards long and worked on that and she did really good and i had to be quick to correct if i needed to cause she was flying never seen her move this quick before. but only a couple of corrections for cheating the bank. then went somewhere else and did some wagon wheel casting or 8 handed casting what ever it is called and with alot of attrition we worked through every cast even the angled in cast. plan on running the channel blind again but from the other side and some more casting in the same exact spot till she has it down good there then to a new place and work on it.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:23 pm

What a wild and windy training day today. Consistant 25 mph winds with stronger gusts.
3 wingers; #1 100 yards away, bird thrown with the wind into 24 inch tall grass.
#2 140 yards, angled in towards us but still carried with the wind off a rise into mottled tall grass.
#3 140 yards across the wind away from us down into a invisable pocket out of sight. Dog had to run straight into the wind.
The Pearl handled them all exceptionally well, ran great to the area of fall and used the wind to nail them quickly.
Next did some walking singles with two throwers one up wind and one down wind in tall grass. 4 birds total. again great results.
Next moved the mat to change up the pattern of the wingers. #1 became long, #3 became short but still landing out of site.
Again the little ladies performance was impressive.
Then the blind retrieves, Welllllllllll the first one shall I say was not to impressive. About 60 yards straight with the wind.
The wind took her right off line and then sit whistle refusals made it ugly but we got it.
The second blind she did much better on. I think she understood the sit whistle corrections from the first one, and had time to think about it while the other dogs ran. it was cross wind about 60 yards. She sucked to the wind took a perfect whistle ( my timing is getting better) short over cast, whistled, back to the retrieve. Then a couple of fun tosses and alot of good dogs we put her away on a very high spirit. :thumbsup:
I think we learned alot today and pretty happy with the outcome.

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:41 am

got an offer i couldnt pass up. it was to start helping a trainer train some young dogs when he goes out of town for tests. so learned a couple of nights ago on how he works on hold and last night i started working with the dogs. this is Mason who was actually quite a joy to work with.

krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:29 pm

Today didn't have to work with the young dogs so took my pup out and ran two diff set ups. The first on land thrown as singles and inline long first then the short to get her to check up. Then ran a blind under the arc of short mark and past the area of the long. She did great with it with only one cast refusal. Then water in the afternoon with a double. Memory bird landing on shore and then the go bird splashing but almost 80 yard swim. She held her line with a strong cross wind on the go bird lined up for the memory and took off on line hit the shore and went right so had to handle to that bird then ran a seasoned leve blind with a couple of fallen trees that she had to go over and all of the water run off a dog stand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:56 pm

Well, I made the 23 hour drive down to Georgia to apprentice with a pro down here. I'll skip all the work of client dogs etc and stick to my personal dog. Been cleaning up a lot of bad obedience habits I've been too lax on since hunting season.

Today ran a setup of singles. Long bird on left was approx 175 yds. First real mark dog has seen since before hunting season. It was suspect but with some help he got the bird. Middle bird was 75 yards angled back. Smoked this one. Short bird (right side) was 40-50 yards. Again stepped on that bird.

Been down since last Thursday and finally getting some nice weather. Hopefully get in the water soon.
cn44
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:14 am

cn44 wrote:Well, I made the 23 hour drive down to Georgia to apprentice with a pro down here. I'll skip all the work of client dogs etc and stick to my personal dog. Been cleaning up a lot of bad obedience habits I've been too lax on since hunting season.

Today ran a setup of singles. Long bird on left was approx 175 yds. First real mark dog has seen since before hunting season. It was suspect but with some help he got the bird. Middle bird was 75 yards angled back. Smoked this one. Short bird (right side) was 40-50 yards. Again stepped on that bird.

Been down since last Thursday and finally getting some nice weather. Hopefully get in the water soon.

who are you working with? and you can reply in a PM if you dont want it public.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:22 am

yesterday worked on some marking in the early afternoon nothing super hard but was starting to push the limits with the 4th mark. marks 1 & 3 were nothing just about stepped on them. mark 2 had a little hunt but not bad.

then in the late afternoon ran a three blinds that were from 70 -115yards. ran the two outside blinds then the middle blind. she did good only 1 blantent cast refusal and not a single whistle refusal. and got to get her from balking my cast not sure what is up that cause it just started a few days ago.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:40 am

I think I wore this girl out this weekend. Saturday went to the clubs picnic and ran 3 set ups. Trained on holding blinds and walk ups.
The marks were easy for her. Sunday 5 hours of training and conditioning. The wingers were throwing some really nasty marks, down into pockets out of site. Trying to get her to run past the 2nd birds scent to the go bird real tight. The suction got her the first time. Change and reset and we got through it. Had it in her head she didn't need me on a couple of water blinds and got terrable whistle sit response past 50 yards. Plus she broke once on a double that was thrown 20 yards from her. We worked on that alot untill we got through it. All in All I feel we made great progress this weekend. We will both sleep good tonite.
Pooped Pearl 004.JPG

That # 4 Bronco looks long....how long was it?
Neet you guys are working for trainers.

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:33 am

spry it looks long but really wasnt all that long maybe 120yards i think the pic makes it look long because it was taken with my phone and i use a blind pole with an old under shirt as the stickman so it isnt that big of a profile. it was a tough mark with 2 being so close and losing sight of the mark with the down and up a hill part.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:37 am

little bit of blind work yesterday. run B1 first, run the mark, then run B2, throw the mark again and run B3 last. Belle did pretty darned good on this little set up and the best part was with out the collar on cause i forgot it at the house and didnt realize i had forgotten it till i was already set up. but she only had one whistle refusal the whole time and one scallop on B3 and that was kinda my fault cause i lined her a little wide on B3, shouldnt have lined her wide just run at it but as normal i was worried about stupid things and she has seen a blind behind the gun quite a few times.

krazybronco2
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:37 pm

We ran a three finished level marks. The first was a slight angle across a large pond and he nailed that mark. The second mark was across the corner of the first pond into a second training pond and falling on a small grass island 15 yards in. He picked it up with no problem. The third mark was just off the corner of the second pond into a corn field. He over ran it by about 30 yards but worked back into it fairly quick and picked it up. Then we ran a really tight down the bank blind that had alot of pull and he struggled alot more than I really wanted to see. I hate to say it but it took some pressure to get him through it. It was alot tougher blind than normal, he had to swim by two mounds on his left and 10 yards off the bank on his right. All of the marks were over a hundred yards and the blind was about 150 yards with half of that on land. All in all it was an ok day but a long ways from some of the great days he has shown me in the past but, hey tomorrow is a new day.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby labman63 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:22 pm

Water! yesterday was the first day we did a lot of water marks. Water is still a little cold but I couldn't stand it any longer. Ran all 9 dogs on some real nice water marks. Today is yard work and FF,FTP with the young ones and blinds for the two oldest dogs.
labman63
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:13 pm

Since I have been working for my trainer and the stupid work schedule I have not been able to train belle but did find out today she smoked a walk up triple. And then did some water blinds were he set up a pile and started working his way down the shore so she had a harder angle entering and exiting and said she did really well, her initial line could
Have been better but not bad for her first angled entry's on blinds

krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:11 pm

It was a good quick evening for us. Went to the training fields below the house ran some Y drills 100 to 150 yd.
And the little lady was on her game. Then ran 4 blinds 50 to 75 yarders. She responded to her whistle sits perfectly!
And lines were tight only casts needed were left and right backs. So tonite was a step forward again, now if only tomorrow won't be two steps back on the whistle again.....only time, patience and training will tell......

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:24 am

labman63 wrote:Water! yesterday was the first day we did a lot of water marks. Water is still a little cold but I couldn't stand it any longer. Ran all 9 dogs on some real nice water marks. Today is yard work and FF,FTP with the young ones and blinds for the two oldest dogs.

Dave, You got any dogs ready for the NRC Spring Hunt Test at Kinston over Easter Friday and Saturday? If so, hope to see you there.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby labman63 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:56 pm

I have 4 or 5 to run but I think I'm skipping Kinston. I'm running 3 weekends in a row and might have everybody titled by then. Depending on how it goes in Emporia and Cheraw will determine what I do. wouldn't mind coming down to train with ya one day tho.
labman63
hunter

Postby labman63 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:59 pm

Just remembered why I'm not running Kinston. Running a derby that Friday in Va with Dash(hopefully)
labman63
hunter

What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:20 pm

Worked with three dogs early this morning working on hold daisy (blf) is on the ground working on hold and she is awesome I love working with her she is just so ready to please it isn't even funny! Huck and mason (both ylm) are still on the table working on hold and should be on the ground starting next week.

Then went with the Danny to work the older dogs and ran a channel blind a walk up then a pretty decent water blind with a strong cross wind pushing the dogs toward shore. And they all did great. The worse was belle and I say that cause she was scalloping on the long water blind. But she did line the channel blind. But I have to say for a dog that would nearly get in the water on a water blind just a month and a half ago she is flying into the water now not as hard as a mark but pretty dang close.

krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:31 pm

Went shed hunting today. No sheds but he got bridy after getting on a couple of pheasants early and that was his intent the rest of the hike. He could have run right over sheds and I would never have known.
cn44
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:23 pm

Today was another windy! day. So bad we didn't use the wingers for fear they would tip or throw crappy birds.
Just ran the Pearl on some walking singles. 1st one just over 100 yards with a few dips, gullys and grass. 2nd
about 80 with more uneven terrain. She did her job well. And on her blind she was much better on whistle sits.
Worked on that every evening last week and it has payed off. A lady we trained with was playing with her new camera
and took this video of Pearl running her marks. My partners showed me some things I need to do. But cool for me to watch and learn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pvM0Bd5lag&feature=youtu.be

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:08 am

That’s some beautiful scenery in the background Spy.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:42 am

Very nice spry

Yesterday since belle as been with Danny she and I are trying to get on the same page. Ran some singles on land. And she was acting like a retard she broke on the first mark put her up then ran her again and was steady but then wanted to play with the duck so got put up again then a walk up and she did fine. Later we went and ran some water marks and she did well on them with the strong cross wind she is really learning to put her shoulder into the wind and keep her self on line for the bird. But can't do anything today because it is pouring down rain all day. And I don't mind training in a drizzle or even a nice rain but not when it is raining cats and dogs

krazybronco2
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:11 am

We have taken the weekend off.

My old girl has a tumor, so she will be having surgery tomorrow to remove her spleen. I'm hoping for the best.
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:35 pm

Good luck CatSquirrel,

I hope it all goes well. The Pearl and I will send prayers your way.

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:03 pm

Spry Yellowdog wrote:Good luck CatSquirrel,

I hope it all goes well. The Pearl and I will send prayers your way.

Spry

Ditto - best wishes. How old is she? Pics good. :thumbsup:
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum