What did you and your pup work on today?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby rivercountry » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:19 pm

Good luck CatSquirrel I hope everything turns out well and keep us posted.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:39 pm

No training this weekend. I was able to get him in a test at the last minute but then could not get the time off work. I sent him on to the test with another handler and he pass finished on Saturday. Said he smoke the marks, blind and honor on land with no trouble. Then ran the water series and ran good on marks and diversion with no handles. He scalloped the blind once but nothing to really get in trouble.
Today they said it was raining pretty hard and the judging was tight. Said he smoked the marks with no handles but scalloped on the blind a few times and the judges marked him down for cast refusals. Got the call to honor on lead so no pass today. No worries though you win some and lose some. We know what we need to work on and we will give it another try next weekend. Still really proud of my boy at 21 months old though and I feel like he has a lot of potential. Just a few little issues that need cleaning up to get him where he needs to be.
rivercountry
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:37 am

Went to the close field for a bit of drill work. After two sends could just tell her heart wasn't in it today.
We have been training and running so hard the last few weeks she told me she wanted a day off.
She got what she asked for. Just a couple of blinds with her rotton duck and home we went.
I really wasn't in the mood either guess we both needed the rest day.
Just gotta know when to run em, and know when to kennel em I guess......

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:41 am

Spry Yellowdog wrote:Went to the close field for a bit of drill work. After two sends could just tell her heart wasn't in it today.
We have been training and running so hard the last few weeks she told me she wanted a day off.
She got what she asked for. Just a couple of blinds with her rotton duck and home we went.
I really wasn't in the mood either guess we both needed the rest day.
Just gotta know when to run em, and know when to kennel em I guess......

Spry

Had plans myself yesterday and when we hit the training ground the 28 degree temps with 40 mph winds changed my mind.

Instead headed out to the small farm and took a walk with a few cold blinds planted. Let dog run around, get a snoot full of stuff and looked for sheds. Love a pine forest on those cold windy days.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:34 am

my cousin
in Ohio who comes out here elk hunting has been telling me how weird the weather has been there this year. flooded and freezing one day balmy the next. Arnt you normally alot warmer by now?

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:31 am

Spry Yellowdog wrote:my cousin
in Ohio who comes out here elk hunting has been telling me how weird the weather has been there this year. flooded and freezing one day balmy the next. Arnt you normally alot warmer by now?

Spry

HA! Yes we are. Less fluctuation for sure. Hell - couple weeks from April and I haven't sprung for a fishing license yet!
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby cn44 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:46 pm

Ran marks yesterday. L-R ran as singles 120 yards thrown L-R then 75 yards thrown R-L from behind a small bunch of trees. Stepped on both marks as they were pretty easy. Then moved left gunner to run a momma poppa double from behind the tree patch repeating the 75 yard R-L mark as the memory bird. Ran the double clean. Came in and locked in on the memory bird. 5-8 inches of snow expected tonight and tomorrow after a nice 55 degree day today.
cn44
hunter

Postby cn44 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:55 pm

6 inches of snow today. No training.
cn44
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:09 am

Cn that is crazy we will be around 80 degrees by the weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:37 pm

We did simple in and out water marks today. Guinness did well, especially on a tough keyhole dts water blind we ran before our marks.

Today was our first day back as I had to let my old girl cross the bridge Monday. She was a great girl and will be sorely missed.
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby razorback » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:25 am

CatSquirrel wrote:We did simple in and out water marks today. Guinness did well, especially on a tough keyhole dts water blind we ran before our marks.

Today was our first day back as I had to let my old girl cross the bridge Monday. She was a great girl and will be sorely missed.

Very sorry the hear that.
razorback
hunter

Postby razorback » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:28 am

For those of you in the water already, what temp do you feel comfortable putting your dogs in?
razorback
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:04 am

Belle is back for a couple of days of training with me for our test this weekend. Talking to the trainer that I have been working for said if she runs the way she has the last 3 days she is going to smoke a seasoned test. So ready just got to get her focused with me and we should be good.

Also bought a new training/hunting truck to replace my focus.

I needed something for weekends and long trips for hunt tests and hunting so just went brand new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:17 am

Very sorry to hear CatSquirrel, But a good dog lives forever in memories.
Nice Bronco your travelin in style now.
I did it yesterday, signed us up for our first hunt tests ever. I'm doing JH and in this case it stands for Junior Handler.
After 6 picnic training days, and many days with my master dog buddies i have a feel for the line, but never ran in a real test.
The Pearl is almost ready to run senior level but i'm not. I expect her to be compleatly underwhelmed and that makes me more
comfortable. And may allow me more time to work a station or something. While we wait we will keep working on her handling
in the water since thats what were missing the most. Should be fun.

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:08 am

My condolences to all who loved her, CatSquirrel.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:01 pm

CatSquirrel, I am really sorry to hear you lost her. Sounds like she was a good one but, I am sure she will live on in the blind for many years to come.
rivercountry
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:06 pm

Nice truck Krazybronco2 I bought the same truck back in January after the wreck that nearly took my dog. Only difference is I bought the crew cab and well worht it. You gonna love it. :thumbsup:
rivercountry
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:15 pm

Need to find a narrow woods trail to drive with tree branches on both sides hugging the paint.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Duck Diver » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:41 pm

Tossed a wood duck out for 3 single marks w/ my lab today.
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby cn44 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:19 pm

Had a club training day today. 3 marks were setup to run could choose to run as singles, double and single, or a trip. I ran Kirby on them as singles just because his line manners are a little lacking when he gets jacked up around an exciting environment. Then the big dogs came out to run some blinds. I got to handle one of them, he's a GRHRCH so it was pretty easy. I can't wait to get a dog of my own to that level. It's going to be fun.
cn44
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:50 pm

Today we had to train alone. So i figured cold blinds were in order and some in the water.
Still pretty cold and windy but shes a duck dog 1st and needs a few cold swims to refresh her memory.
Here is a pic of the 3 water blinds. Wind out of the north west (black arrow) ran the blue one first.
She hit the point as expected but whistle sat good and took the back cast exceptionally well, I let her come in under
it and use the wind the rest of the way.
Red one second, hit the land again but again took a nice whistle. got off course with that cast but kept swimming.
Finely stopped and took the right over,what amazed me was she took the in whistle to the point, came in down wind on
the land and scooped it up.
Yellow one third, she started off ok then cheated the angle on her exit and the wind did the rest. No whistles used.
Not really good but ok considering we havent done any water since duck season. And hunting her as much as I did really loosened
her up training wise. Spent most this spring getting her back to where she was before hunting.
water blinds 3-22-14.jpg

Then we did 6 land blinds with walkups from a holding blind to the mat. She is coming along nice on this, her manners to the mat
are night and day from 2 months ago. But she had never even seen a holding blind or mat 2 months ago.

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby cn44 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:16 pm

Setup and taught the first leg of a bucket drill I learned. It's basically teaching pattern blinds with bags or buckets on a stake then removing bucket after dog learns the blinds.
cn44
hunter

Postby Jimmy82 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:23 pm

Well it wasn't me and the dog, it was the wife and the trainer and the dog. And it wasn't today, but last week lol. The trainer introduced my Viz to ducks and chukar (birds she's never seen before), she hesitated at first but realized a bird was a bird eventually. Also got her working on her point, with a solid lock up on the last bird of the day! If internet didn't suck so bad out here I would try to put a video up, but you'll just have to use your imaginations. :grooving:
Jimmy82
hunter

Postby cn44 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:32 pm

I was snow good hunting today so no training, but yesterday I ran the first leg of my drill cold then taught the second leg. Tomorrow going to run first and second legs cold then teach third leg.
cn44
hunter

Postby labman63 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:17 am

2 dogs FF, 2 FTP, 3 OB,ran a couple blinds for 1 dog and worked the pup on a checkcord for a few minutes. didn't have a lot of time today,on night shift. I'm off for the next 4 days after tonight(wed) and a few training partner and I are gonna shoot flyers Thursday afternoon and run some blinds. HT this weekend in Va and next weekend in Cheraw SC
labman63
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum