What did you and your pup work on today?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby cn44 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:21 am

We have freezing rain this morning with 3-4 inches of snow expected this afternoon into night. Probably won't be teaching that 3rd leg today or training at all.
cn44
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:57 pm

Finally got to run my dog today after a week of FF with the three dogs I have been working with. Just three blinds on was short maybe 80 yards. The second was somewhat tight the short blind but was one of the longest blind we have ever run (somewhere between 250-300 yards). She did pretty good then the third blind was around 200 yards but not easy for my dog cause it was running through the edge of a bowl so every dog was falling down the hill but mine fell off the hill bad and just couldn't recover even after running it a few times she just didn't want to hold the hill. So something we need to work on not that we will be running 200yard blinds in a test but might is we go hunt out west

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Duck_Popper » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:13 pm

Today we worked on whistle sits. And remote whistle sits. Got up to the length of a basketball court with her. Calling her all the way to me once. Then heeling her. Sitting her, walking to the other end and recalling her and then sitting her half way. Was a little rocky at first but the 3rd time she got it. It took me walking towards her with my hands out in front and whistle.

Then we went to establishing the pile. Been working on that for 2 days now but she really does not like it. About the 3rd one she is just over it. I praise her when she does well but on the 4th one I say dead bird. Back. She will just sit there. I actually have to start my motion towards the pile saying back and giving her collar a little tug. Not sure what to fit here but I am going to read on it tonight.

After that my fiancé met me at the park and we did some walking marks. Up to about 125 yards. She loves that. She gets happy when that comes around. She has great lines and drives hard. Just the "work" she is just over it and gets stubborn.
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby cn44 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:34 pm

Duck_Popper wrote:
Then we went to establishing the pile. Been working on that for 2 days now but she really does not like it. About the 3rd one she is just over it. I praise her when she does well but on the 4th one I say dead bird. Back. She will just sit there. I actually have to start my motion towards the pile saying back and giving her collar a little tug. Not sure what to fit here but I am going to read on it tonight.

Not sure how far you are in training etc. but usually a "no-go" is corrected with you stepping forward with a heel and nick from the e-collar. But only if dog is ready for it. Give a little background on what you are all through with the dog and how old it is.

If you have given that info already and I missed it my apologies.
cn44
hunter

Postby Duck_Popper » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:01 pm

cn44 wrote:
Duck_Popper wrote:

Not sure how far you are in training etc. but usually a "no-go" is corrected with you stepping forward with a heel and nick from the e-collar. But only if dog is ready for it. Give a little background on what you are all through with the dog and how old it is.

If you have given that info already and I missed it my apologies.

Hey Cn44. My dogs name is teal. She is 9 months old. Been through obedience. FF. CC. And she can perform basic single marks up to 125 yards. She has no holding issues or mouthing. I am working on enforcing the whistle which we made some great progress yesterday. However she does "no go" on the dead bird back about the 3rd time.

We have done the walking fetch before this as well. So based on my trainer, and training instructions, this is my next task at hand.

You may ask well get a private with the trainer or call, well she already went back to Oregon. A month ago. I wanted her to give me a solid foundation for a gun dog and she did indeed. She fins usher obedience. Did the Ff and Cc. No I am taking pride in finishing her.
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:57 pm

Duck popper I would get her going first before stopping on the whistle. Which after establishing the pile you start forcing to the pile. If u are using a program us it for forcing to the pile and if not get one and learn how to force to the pile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:11 pm

Today was the last picnic of the year for one of my retriever clubs. So they ran it by the book except for allowing training aids if you wanted. Was a very challenging but fair test I thought. And only the strong survived. Of course we had our 30 mph winds again. (weird weather) and a hunting retriever needs to work in any conditions. The first land mark was 80 yards into some grassy cover,
she had a bit of a rough time on it with the wind but stayed in the area and got it. The live flyer at 120 she nailed with style same with the third one just hit it perfect. They allowed 3 birds if you wanted.
Then the water setup got many dogs. 1st off a hill into water over a grassy island and up more water 20 yards back on land. had to run through decoys on the second water entry. The little lady just shined, straight run to the bird and back to heal waiting on the next bird.The next 2 were straight forward, Down the hill off the mat across 40 yards of runnable water onto land 40 more yards.
She nailed them again with perfect handoffs. I walked off the mat a proud papa.
One of two juniors that made the grade today. :thumbsup:

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby labman63 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:14 pm

Water marks and blinds. Lot of re-entry stuff.
labman63
hunter

Postby rebelmdb69 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:28 pm

Today I introduced my pup to water and reinforced sit and lay down with distractions.
rebelmdb69
Free Pass Moderator

Postby cn44 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:49 pm

Had a nice day today, 60 degrees, so we found some splash water and ran some marks then set up for a photo opp. Cell phone picture since we forgot the DSLR at home.

Tomorrow will be another setback. Winter storm watch. Possibilities of 5-10 inches of snow after some freezing rain.
cn44
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:37 am

cn44 :thumbsup:

spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby labman63 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:31 am

Worked on half of JH title on a 10 month old yesterday in Va. Next half next week in SC hopefully.
labman63
hunter

Postby cn44 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:53 am

Weather has been great so far today. Taught the third leg of the drill we have been running this morning. Then came out and ran it cold later. He locked on with his eyes great and ran hard on all 3 legs.
cn44
hunter

Postby rebelmdb69 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:48 pm

Second time in the water this time with longer retrieves <30yds but actually having to swim. I think she is doing great for being 10 wks. ImageImageImage
rebelmdb69
Free Pass Moderator

Postby Tim Terrell » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:25 pm

House-training!
Ethyl (YLF) will be 8 weeks old on April 1.
I'm working on getting-by with a LOT less sleep.
--Tim
Tim Terrell
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:25 am

The last 2 days Tripp has been working on Stay, lay, and place. He's probably 80% on them
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby cn44 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:49 am

Well no training today. Yesterday afternoon we had a tornado which 2 hours later turned into a blizzard warning. Been a real fun spring trying to get out and work.
cn44
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:52 am

Tim Terrell wrote:House-training!
Ethyl (YLF) will be 8 weeks old on April 1.
I'm working on getting-by with a LOT less sleep.
--Tim

Once you get that behind you, it's all downhill sledding.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:51 pm

We just continued on sit and lay (100%), stay 80%.

We also continued on place. Using. 2 elevated boxes about 10' apart. From there I was able to use hand signals and point to the other box and say "place". He did great.

He very into training, keeping it fun and he has a blast
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:39 pm

The winds of the weekend have brought us rain and snow. So tonite was a evening of mud running.
Kinda felt like hunting, wearing coats and chest waders. Called in some mallards too. Was good blind etiquite work. She watched and never wiggled.
She ran a nice WW drill in the muck and a number of cold blinds, some long Y drills. Wore her butt out fighting the elements.
But my wife will be happy with a tired dog :thumbsup:

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:27 am

Mud hogging:

At this stage of our game, most "Spring training" revolves around conditioning. We'll do a little of this or that retrieving work to keep the wheels fairly tight, but most of the focus is just on seeing that the coyote goes into his mid Summer lay-off fit as can be, so he'll be ready for the September teal that come soon after. Feel blessed that he's an endorphin junky who'll push through all manner of misery largely just for the pleasure of doing so.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:28 am

rick someone is having way to much fun!
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby labman63 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:29 am

That's awesome Rick,looks like he's having a blast.
labman63
hunter

Postby cn44 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:59 pm

Those are some great pictures! Love to see the personality in these dogs.
cn44
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:47 pm

Love it! Now thats a mud bath.

Spry
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum