What did you and your pup work on today?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby krazybronco2 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:59 pm

over under thrown as singles with a blind under the arc of the short bird and outside the area of the long bird. belle did ok but not as well as i would have expected. she had a hunt on the short bird and had to help her on the long bird (sound from the electronics). but the blind looked really good just one scallop.

krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:39 pm

We had a interesting morning training today. The place i was planning on going was closed because of a state sponsered event.
So down to the pond below the house we went. There were 3 scout troops camping out in there tents in the fields we normally use.
We were there at sun rise and the campers were still sleeping so I decided to use there tents as diversions in her blind retrieve work. She ran well going through the opening between tents. i did get a head to pop out when I whistle stopped her infront of the door to one, cast her over one, then back between a pair. Then some walking baseball between tents. Some good swimming with
diversion bumpers coming out of the bushes while she was returning with a retrieve. She handled herself quite well with it all and I was happy with her effort.

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby Down South Gratton » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:27 pm

Worked on some open water retrieves and then did some blind retrieves in my flood fields due to all this rain we have been getting. Slowly getting her ready for teal season.
2012-2013 duck season 25 ducks
2013-2014 duck season 65 ducks and 2 geese
Down South Gratton
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:08 pm

I trained with a Ditzy Blonde today. :huh:
Just one of those where her mind wasn't in it. She got the job done but with a lack luster performance.
Sure glad these days are becoming fewer and fewer as she matures.

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:23 am

Simple ABCD drill had to keep it a little mild cause the person I was training has a big fluffy golden with caderacts. So the long marks were father than 125 yards the short marks were around 60yards. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
krazybronco2
hunter

What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:55 pm

One of our better days today! Hip pocket thrown as a singles g1 96yards g2 188 yards and the blind was 155 yards. Belle smoked the marks. Stepping on the short bird and then taking an almost perfect line to the long bird just a few yards right of the bird. And 4 whistled the blind. Blind didnt have a lot of suction but had a slight influence from long bird and also a mulch mound row that she had to get over that was about 20 yards infront of the blind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby labman63 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:55 pm

FTP with 2,ob with 3, blinds with 2. Done by 8:45 to beat the heat
labman63
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:57 pm

16 hour old, rained on, blood tracks.
Ran both the pup and the 2 year old on lead. Both on separate tracks. Both did great staying on the track well and finding the moose hide at the end.
Then did a few 100 yard plus blinds and called it a day.
Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:06 pm

Since the weather presented us with a double-header of temp and humidity both at 90, SoS and I staggered down to my nice cool spring-fed pond, where we worked on our team swimming and mud pie making skills. She did very well at both, seeing as how it was her first time. After that SoS marked and tried to retrieve a low-flying helicopter. Eat your hearts out y'all. :biggrin:
The lab and golden think: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; they must be gods."
The Chesapeake thinks: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; I must be a God."
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby labman63 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:07 am

Got to training grounds at 6:01 this morning. Ran my 7 month old on her first real white coat marks at 125 and 175 yrds. Awesome job. Ran Betty on her first marks since pups were born( 5.5 weeks ago) plus 2 blinds,she never missed a beat. Training partners ran 4 dogs on long double and a blind. Done by 7:30. Came home and did yard work with the rest of the gang. heading for the lawn mower before it hits 99 deg today. Oh yeah. I did all of this with right arm in cast and sling. Had torn tendon cut and reattached in elbow last Tuesday,only missed two days of training. Wife is mad at me lol

PS still have two males available out of Rambo/Betty litter. Picked up and carried a duck around yesterday at 5.5 weeks old. Have pic to prove it.
labman63
hunter

Postby cn44 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:57 pm

Today, did some swimby this morning, then ran a tune up drill in the afternoon. A lot of getting wet in corners and crossing points and swimming down the shore.
cn44
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:35 pm

trained with some members of our local club and had a couple of singles and blinds on land. first blind was behind the gun not bad couple of whistles and the mark was at 112 yards the blind was 150. the second mark was a key hole mark with a blind under the arc and this was the best part of our whole day cause she lined the blind. the mark was 114 yards and the blind was 170 yards. and finished up with a single water mark that had along angled entry with the mark landing on an island. belle did ok with the entry and had some trouble with island but stuck in the area and dug it out. didn't range the distance on the water mark cause the bottom dropped out on us soon as the second bird was brought back.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby labman63 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:10 am

Land marks and blinds for the big dogs, OB and FTP for a few more. I have 3 dogs waiting on FF but have to wait to get this dang cast off next week. On right back casts I have been turning sideways and throwing my left arm to the right...been working good so far.
labman63
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:53 pm

Cast? You been Force Fetching Pitbulls?
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby labman63 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:51 pm

Nope, torn tendon I have been getting shots in for years finally had enough. It was so bad they had to cut it loose and cut the bad part off and stich it back to the bone.

e="HNTFSH"]Cast? You been Force Fetching Pitbulls?[/quote]
labman63
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:00 pm

labman63 wrote:Nope, torn tendon I have been getting shots in for years finally had enough. It was so bad they had to cut it loose and cut the bad part off and stich it back to the bone.

e="HNTFSH"]Cast? You been Force Fetching Pitbulls?
[/quote]

uuuuuueeeewwwww!!!!!
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby dysco » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:45 pm

I'm taking all the help I can get.
dysco
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:21 pm

Club training day. ran the first mark as a single the next 2 marks as a double with a diversion after the go bird. noed her of the diversion to pick up the memory bird. and then pick up the diversion. wanted to get her to work with me and go where i send not where she wanted to go. she was hot after the marks so tied her out and then came back and ran the blind. got some nice corrections today cause she wanted to switch on the double and then trying to get the diversion when sent for the memory bird. and the biggest correction was when she went retard and we were in the holding blind and a guy was working his 4mo pup on some short marks and she heard the winger go off and she took off out of the blind for the bird but got her stopped before she could hit the water.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby labman63 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:31 pm

Land double at 150 and 200 yrds, three blinds off and behind the double white stickmen at 350,320 and 225 yrds. Water double at 150 and 200 yrds. Cool part was I got to watch and throw for two FC's. Lining a 350 yrd blind still amazes me! going to train with them again tomorrow.
labman63
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:20 pm

ABCD drill and Belle did great stepping on all 4 marks didn't get a pic but the weather was awesome one of the coolest afternoons we have had in a long time.

but i did can screw up an easy task it took me well over an hour to re string 2 wingers but they now have new rubbers and it will launch bumpers a mile and ducks pretty good.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby drhawkins » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:44 pm

New here. Following the Bill Hillmann Puppy Video. My pup was 8 weeks old 2 days ago. Today we walked on a leed, practiced sit, and did 2 retrieves down a hallway.
drhawkins
Newb

Postby woody3691 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:10 pm

We just finished left/ right backs a few days ago and started combination of left back and right over today.
woody3691
hunter

Postby labman63 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:13 am

Taught blinds at 300 yrds. Walking singles for the young'uns.
labman63
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:44 pm

started off with some cheating singles on the point only one correction need to work on some longer entries. but this was the blind we ran after the cheating singles off the same point. angled entry, square exit and had to cross a road about 15yards before the end of the blind it was also right around 160yards so not long but starting to push belle harder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRKoWGdfvEE
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:42 pm

back for some more water to run in cause i don't get to train in water as much as i like but started with the blind that was 190 yards with a few factors involved. first was the wind blowing slightly into the shore the second was a log she had to try and go over (i should have tried harder to get her to go over where i wanted her to go over but wasn't sure she could climb over it cause it was so high out of the water) and the last was the shore once she got past the log. not easy at all. when she got done with the blind came back for a wipeout bird marking set up so long bird thrown down a row of trees and then the wipe out bird and a diversion bird in her face on the way back from the memory bird.

have some issues to iron out with water blinds the biggest being the popping issue for some reason she has started to pop a lot. not sure if it is because we haven't run a lot of water blinds lately or if she is really just the confused. but got a nice correction on the wipe out bird for the butt coming off the ground.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKNM3dSbT1I
krazybronco2
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum