What did you and your pup work on today?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby mw46 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:30 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Was the old Brittany's morning in the country, and he didn't go fast, but he did go far. Hoping to enjoy our 16th hunting season together this Fall.

Wow, Im sure you do, but count your blessings :beer:
The coot fighter
mw46
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:32 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Was the old Brittany's morning in the country, and he didn't go fast, but he did go far. Hoping to enjoy our 16th hunting season together this Fall.

I hope so Rick, my britt gave me 15 wonderful years.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby Moultrie » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:17 pm

First time with water retrieves where she had to swim. She was hesitant to go past chest. Coaxed her into trusting me and swimming out to me. After that it was everything I could do to get her out.
Moultrie
hunter

Postby Phild » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:54 am

Ahh nice to see this thread still alive I kinda forgot about it. Not today but yesterday we worked on bird in mouth on marking.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby boykinhntr » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:11 pm

We worked on casting. Something similar to T drills and casting into cover.

Friday was a terrible session but today was one of the best!
boykinhntr
hunter

Postby cn44 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:30 pm

Yesterday we got to day 5 of Hillmanns puppy DVD. Today we went to a club training day and chased some pigeons.
cn44
hunter

Postby Phild » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:43 pm

Worked on T drill and then a few marks at my second field while continuing bird in mouth.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:23 am

yesterday went to the lake and got into a cove and worked on the mini t and treading water.

also may have had a bad experience with a goose. she got out of the truck and i told her to release to go air her self out well she found some 2 geese on the edge of the water and took off after them (i was getting bumpers and collar so wasn't pay attention) well it looked like she got about 10ft away before on of the geese started honking and flapping and she stopped dead in her tracks and then came running back. i only saw her running back but could see her skid marks in the dirt so im assuming that they kinda scared here but the training went find after that. just have to make sure the first goose she retrieves is dead as a doorknob.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby labman63 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:03 pm

Two pups on OB, two starting pile work, three started swim by today and one 43 day pregnant dog got a few fun bumpers.
labman63
hunter

Postby labsforme » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:15 pm

My "pup" worked on walking singles out to 200 yards plus and then did a 200 yard poison bird with a 300 yard blind.A little rusty.Got about 30 feet offline at about 100 yards ( I let her get too far out offline) and had to handle a couple of times to get back on line and then no problems.Then ran the mark.Backsided the gun but I'm working on her staying in the area of the fall and so I didn't handle and she worked it out quickly.
labsforme
hunter

Postby rinkor16 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:42 pm

Took Avery out for a swim. She's shaping up to be a great hunting companion.
Attachments
photo.jpg
rinkor16
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:34 pm

How many pieces of popcorn she could catch in a row. 33. And also, sit/stay. Working on trying to get her to where if im not paying attention to her, for a longer period of time.
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby SoupSandwich99 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:54 pm

I really lucked out and had the opportunity to train with Lanse Brown over the weekend. It was a fabulous experience that I would recommend to anyone who has the opportunity. I learned a LOT about how to read and teach dogs.
SoupSandwich99
hunter

Postby cn44 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:56 pm

Went uptown to run errands today and had the pup so did some socialization. Worked on some long sits, have it where I get to about 15 feet away before I start heading back to him. Day 6 of Hillmanns puppy is planned for tomorrow.
cn44
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:18 pm

since today was the last day i had my parents truck i went to the lake and did some mini t work. she wants to pop a little on land so moved right to the edge of the water to try and get rid of some of the popping. also since the water is not hot but not cold here (just right) but since the water is nice i could get alot of whistle stops and some corrections if she casted wrong. i know her inital line is not straight but really wanted to get her to stop and tread water and take the correct cast. the video is also maybe the 3rd time she had been sent and the first time she had been stopped on the whistle for this session.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR5qvhTVJVU
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Phild » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:20 pm

looking good bronco
Today Gauge and I worked on marks with a zinger winger and I learned that she is a breaker and a cheater lol. I think it was due to the new level of excitement and was getting better by the end of the night. But she needs work.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby cn44 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:03 am

Just worked on day 6 of Hillmanns video. Working on sitting for extended times with me being able to walk around and talk without pup moving from sit. Walked on lead. Threw 3 fun bumpers and went well then the deer crap was discovered and it felt like the whole session was a huge waste of time.
cn44
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:28 am

cn44 wrote:Just worked on day 6 of Hillmanns video. Working on sitting for extended times with me being able to walk around and talk without pup moving from sit. Walked on lead. Threw 3 fun bumpers and went well then the deer crap was discovered and it felt like the whole session was a huge waste of time.

training with distractions is always fun.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:49 am

krazybronco2 wrote:
cn44 wrote:Just worked on day 6 of Hillmanns video. Working on sitting for extended times with me being able to walk around and talk without pup moving from sit. Walked on lead. Threw 3 fun bumpers and went well then the deer crap was discovered and it felt like the whole session was a huge waste of time.

training with distractions is always fun.

Lotsa' fun!
So much fun in fact-

That the dog was sittin' there first thing this morning with a hand written note waitin' for me-

It said:

"You're late partner" "Been waiting here an hour" :yes:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ibedamn » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:04 pm

We worked on marking in a now drained impoundment from an actual blind with the birds falling into the still standing corn at distances of 40 to 100 yards. Plus one 150 yard blind through lite cover.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:45 pm

We played baseball yesterday with a single ring of bumpers in a 30 yd circle with 8 bumpers out. She has her casting down pat. Today we will move to a double ring of bumpers to work on go on's and come backs combined with directional casts. Yep, old book, and old methods on a soft dog. It is all reward training as well. Bella earns her dinner every week night and both meals on the weekends. She is excelling at every training challenge I throw at her. Training session have become an obsession for her. She is waiting at the gate when I get home, and runs right to the foot of the driveway and sits to wait for her first command while I get everything together for the trip to the field.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby MuddyTwelveGauge » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:59 pm

We did a deep triple and a blind water retrieve. Back to drills tomorrow, but today I wanted to have some fun
www.marshmutt.com "Keeping the Steel Flying and the Dogs Retrieving"
A Duck Hunting Chat Sponsor
MuddyTwelveGauge
DHC Sponsor

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:17 pm

finally got to get my girl on some good marks and at first we did a single followed by a double. ran a few other dogs then moved around a little so the marks were different and pull the trigger and she breaks no here and gets put up (no retrieve) run a few more dogs and bring her out again to run the double she broke on and first duck she is ok then after the second mark she breaks again so i stop her and back in the box to wait. so she is the last dog and we get a single and she does perfect so. tomorrow going to meet a pro and see some more marks because we have a test next weekend.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:36 pm

Had a club training session tonight. We worked on walking on the lead and turning right and left using HERE and HEEL. Worked on sitting with dogs walking past, and walking past dogs without turning into an idiot. Intro to decoys and not being skiddish or trying to grab them. Then after that I had another member throw some short fun marks with a pheasant wing at first then a frozen chucker. There was another puppy there along with mine and while tossing the chucker I saw a competitive glimmer in Kirby's eye and he took off after the bird harder than anything I've seen from him so far. It was a long night for a 14 week old pup. Proud of how he did tonight. His sit was as or more solid than a lot of the other dogs that are older.
cn44
hunter

Postby grouperdude » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:53 am

Just got into duck hunting this past season. So my year old black lab is getting a late start. Working with a e collar to get him crisp with the basics. This morning I took him out to get him accustomed to decoys and swimming through them.
Attachments
securedownload-5.jpeg
430801_10200112535953644_1055745864_n.jpg
grouperdude
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum