What did you and your pup work on today?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby SC_YellowDawg » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:44 pm

FF work this morning and then working on "place" on the boat sitting in the yard this afternoon
SC_YellowDawg
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:03 pm

Took the kids up into the mountains this morning to watch deer and train in the cool air at 9000 ft.
Saw 14 bucks growing there velvet covered antlers and ran 2 set up for the dogs.
My buddys MH dog preformed as expected made evey mark and blind look easy.
My JH dog did well ran 2 nice doubles at 100 yards, Took a walk up bird 20 yards infront of her
and marked the other nicely. Left the diversion bird alone on her way back in and retrieved it after delivery.
Her blinds were ok some mistakes but she took the whistle and casts good to get the bird.
Set her a poison bird at 35 yards on a 100 yard blind. She did suck right to it whistled the sit and took
a perfect right back off it to the far bird. Just a nice morning for all of us.
The Junior, Master and Puppy partying
Tac-Pearl-River 019.JPG

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:21 pm

had some help today so ran an inverted triple as singles. she completely screwed the first mark but stepped on the last two marks and then ran a blind on the back side of the short gun and the back side of one of the long guns not bad but needs a little more work on both the marking concept and also a blind backsiding 2 guns
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby labman63 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:29 pm

Started swim by today with one dog. Finishing up T with another this week then on to SB. FF 3 young'uns. Wagon wheel for Dash.
labman63
hunter

Postby kkelly » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:53 pm

The pup and I worked on simple retrieves. Tossed a paint roller down the hallway for the first time and he loved it. It was great to watch his exuberance.

We also worked on sit and here. Looking forward to him growing and getting better and better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kkelly
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:53 am

took her now 14 weeks old for walk on lead and shot mallard over her.older dog did retrieve with wee girl tagging along..made big fuss of them both when I received bird. first time shot has been fired close to wee girl and didnt phase her at all
Attachments
IMG_1987.JPG
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:44 am

Abcd marking drill g4&g5 was a mama papa. Belle did really good taking really good lines and just about stepping on the marks other than g1 we had a extended hunt on g1 for some reason

krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:45 am

With the youngster: Double T handling, which she lost her brain on and totally trashed (after doing it perfectly yesterday).:rolleyes: Redeemed herself on the water triple, throws 1 and 2 inline into cattails, go bird a shackled live duck thrown right off the line, which dove on her several times (first time she saw that). Figured out the diver, then nailed the other marks. She is steady for all the falls, but it would be be nice if she waited for me to send her after she delivers the first bird, just hands it to me and takes off for the next one. :rolleyes: She is the most impatient creature I have ever worked with, and way too confident in her own abilities, if there is such a thing. Can't wait to hunt her.
The lab and golden think: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; they must be gods."
The Chesapeake thinks: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; I must be a God."
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby kkelly » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:49 am

Took my 10 week old pup out to the river for the 4 or 5th time yesterday. I've been patient with him and learning how to swim. I threw out his bumper in deep enough where he'd have to swim and bam! I've got a swimmer!! Took him for a walk afterward and he was ready for more swimming. Can't wait to see him retrieving birds next year.

kkelly
hunter

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:18 am

Today we had a BAER test to make sure the hard headed bastard could hear.
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:08 pm

Westtennduckhunter wrote:Today we had a BAER test to make sure the hard headed bastard could hear.

Probably can't hear because you yell all the time.
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:34 am

kkelly wrote:Took my 10 week old pup out to the river for the 4 or 5th time yesterday. I've been patient with him and learning how to swim. I threw out his bumper in deep enough where he'd have to swim and bam! I've got a swimmer!! Took him for a walk afterward and he was ready for more swimming. Can't wait to see him retrieving birds next year.

cool :thumbsup: good to hear someone else has a swimmer too...been reading of a few guys with issues of late.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:20 am

Ran a pinched double yesterday with a blind. Belle put her nose on both birds just smacked it and didn't do to bad on the blind. Image

krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Labs » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:56 am

walk up triple, with a double blind....then, a out of order flyer triple with a blind....poison bird thrown enroute to the blind...will post up pics later...definitely a big dog set up...=)
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby labman63 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:06 am

Ran Emma (7 months) on 4 marks this morning. All over 250 yards, longest was 355 yards. Normal stuff for the rest of the gang,FF, FTP and swim by.
This is pic of first two.
labman63
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:19 am

Just back from vacation and ran a pretty big triple with 125 yard hot blind down the point about 40 yards off the line of 2nd mark. He ran great lines to all three marks but 3 whistled the blind. The big dummy should have ran it one but decided to scallop the first cast so I sat him and gave a verbal correction and he took the next two cast perfect. Then threw a diversion on the return from the blind and ran a couple honor drills.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:29 pm

this was this afternoon after it rained so it was humid and hot so not the best conditions to train in but it was short and sweet. over under marking concept but to push Belle a little harder threw it as a delayed double with a blind after the first mark. everything was perfect till the memory bird and the dumbest handler in the world showed up again and didn't line the dog up properly and she backsided the gun.
http://youtu.be/PrQG9CjEhSs
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Rich- » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:12 pm

I've been focusing on improving my GSP's swimming. In the past week he has improved greatly. I took him to the lake today and worked him on some retrieves and figure he should be up to par with where he should be in the next 2 weeks.

Rich-
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:11 pm

Couple of technical AA level water quads with double retireds. Generally, the big dogs did well.

I'll post pics tomorrow or kraxybronco can get them off FB and post them. I'm way too tired to mess with photobucket. We have aerials and eye level views from the line.
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:49 am

Guess i will be nice to the squirrel. its not like i do a lot at work anyways

krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:07 pm

Haven't posted in a while. Been busy training all summer. Here are a few setups I've taken pictures of.

Today's water blinds. Left is an angle entry up over a Y shaped peninsula and back into water. Drive up a hill to bumper. Middle blind is what it is. Wide open, go get bumper. Right blind is a fairly square entry, over a peninsula, back into a slice of water. Bumper just on shore. Distances are approx 140 left, 125 middle, 130 right. Ran right, left, middle.

A setup we ran a couple weeks ago. First mark is left to right on a peninsula about 50 yards away. Second mark is left to right 175 yards. Get wet, up over first peninsula, back into water, over tip of second peninsula (depending on throw from BB, some cleared the peninsula and dogs stayed wet) and another swim. Bird was about 15 yards up on shore.

This blind was for the younger dogs (senior level) after the set of marks. Angle entry about 75 yards.

Been running big derby doubles on land the last week and a half. Started by long (250-350 yard) memory bird with a short (100-150 yard) go bird. Had to run tight to the backside of short gun to get to memory bird. Last few days we switched and ran it out of order, long go bird, short memory bird. This caused a lot of trouble for most of the dogs, even some qual dogs had trouble.
cn44
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:25 am

Nothing big this morning cause the fish ponds were packed with people so the ponds I could have used were not good cause of the sun but did do one water blind at 140yards belle did really well with the strong crosswind into the bank. Image

krazybronco2
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:50 am

Kraxybronco,

It would be nice to move your line left and put Belle on and off those points (if possible).
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:32 am

Not sure if it will help anything. But A pro that leases this field and allows me to use it cut some strips for what looks like single t so I'm going to use it while I can to do some cheating singles on land today was just my hand thrown cause wingers would have launched them to far but getting a bird boy this week to throw for me and work on this a little more. Image

Let me know if this is not a great idea the cut strips are about 5ft wide if that helps any

krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:19 am

Here's a lining/blind drill I ran yesterday.
cn44
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum