Are Weimaraners good waterfowl dogs?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Are Weimaraners good waterfowl dogs?

Postby KEH » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:21 pm

We want to get a Weimaraner for home and hunt. I primarily hunt waterfowl and pheasant in Northern Oklahoma. What are your thoughts on this breed as a hunter. Thanks!
KEH
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:44 pm

Weimaraners can be good hunting dogs.

Having said that....

You will probably have to spend a LOT of money and time finding one that has the propensity to be a good hunting dog. Due to their attractiveness the vast majority of the weimaraner breeders that you will find breed them for show or as pets. The percentage that breeds them to hunt is very small. So, in order to find one with a hunting pedigree you will have to look far and wide, and they are going to be more expensive. Of course you might know someone or just flat out luck out, that is why the short answer is YES.
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby KEH » Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:58 am

Thanks for getting back with me. I found a wonderful kennel in Oklahoma City with hunting parents (both the Dam and Sire believe it or not....not duck, but upland). I have a field trainer friend who feels that he can help me get the new pup on track for both types of hunting.
KEH
hunter

Postby duckaholic_16p » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:09 pm

i have a 10 month old female. I also have a 3 year old choco lab. I have not found as much time to work with my weim as i did my lab but she seems to know whats going on when it comes to quial. I have work with her on fetching and she is doing great. If you get one you had better be ready for a big baby. My weim is a huge baby, she wont leave me and must sleep as close to me in bed as she can. Also she cannot handle punishment, the lightest correction is like the end of her world. I like the breed and think with some work they could be duck dogs, however i dont think they could handle the cold. Hope i helped
duckaholic_16p
hunter

Postby weedsnager » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:41 pm

my weimer won't even go into the boat in the garage! big baby, hates water, hates cold!
weedsnager
hunter

Postby Takem' » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:18 pm

I have a 1 yo male. He so far has fetched up around 25 ducks for me. Doesn't like the cold much, but when the ducks start falling he forgets all about being cold.Its also nice to finish up a good morning of duck hunting w/ a nice midday quail hunt.
If you want a dog that spends all morning watching the sky for birds....Get a lab. If all you want is a dog to fetch up a weim is perfect
Takem'
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:27 pm

Is there anything more one could want to do other than to spend all day watching the sky for birds?

That's all I want to do...

:thumbsup:
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:37 pm

Take a look at a NAVHDA breeder. They breed for versatility for upland and water work. I don't know the names of any NAVHDA weim breeders of the top of my head but you should be able to find one. Duckaholic is right they are softer dogs and tend to mature slower than other breeds. Good Luck in your search.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Takem' » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:16 pm

Anyone seen ducks???I've only seen 4 in the last 5 days
Takem'
hunter

Postby KEH » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:04 am

Hey Takem...you have any pictures with your Weim in the field or blind...I'd love to see them. Thanks to all for the advice. I lookd forward to the hours of fun with my weim.
KEH
hunter

Postby Takem' » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:47 pm

i am working on getting a site up w/ his hunting pics on it.
Takem'
hunter

Postby big_countryks » Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:00 am

Have a female, Belle, GREAT for quail and pheasant. However, she shivers in the laundry room let alone out in the water LOL. Wouldnt dream of trying to let her retrieve ducks. This is my first year duck hunting ever...she rides along and we try and hit a few fields on our way home so she doesnt go crazy. Mines the same way Duckaholic, you cant keep her off the bed, and she literally lays right on top of me...hard to sleep with her elbows in my stomach, heh, but I wouldn't have it any other way, especially this time of year.
"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom..." (Sitting Bull)
"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15." (Ronald W. Reagan)
big_countryks
hunter

Postby Takem' » Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:09 am

Mine does great on ducks. Just don't wanna push em too hard to get in the cold water......let em take their time
Takem'
hunter

Postby KEH » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:34 pm

Haven't checked the sight much since bird season has ended. My new Weimaraner female is now 6 months (ZOE) and loves the field. She stays close and seems to have a good nose...caught her devouring some pheasant poop. I've had her in the water twice, and she doesn't seem to dislike it, although I get the feeling she could do without it. Right now she is more interested in my 2 year old Great Dane than just about anything...GREAT BIG CHEW TOY. My Zoe has that "bed hog" problem as well...but try a 120 pound Great Dane, a 50 pound (at 6 months) Weimaraner and a wife all fighting for space. It got so tight, I finally had to kick the wife out of bed.
:getdown:
No, just kidding...the Dane had to be relocated to the floor. Hey Takem, you have that sight up yet with pictures of your male? Bigcountryks...got any pics of your Belle in the field?
KEH
hunter

Do not waste your precious time on one

Postby CuzTheyFly » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:50 am

Get a lab, cause they just love to hunt ducks! And they are trainable!!!
===========> <=============
XXXX XXXX
CuzTheyFly
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:45 am

I don't own one, but my uncle used to breed them. I've heard and seen that they are great field dogs. I used to see a deputy buddy of mine out duck hunting with his wiem. He didn't look like he liked the cold water at all! I've also seen them as house dogs, some of the bigger males I've ran across do GREAT as guard dogs! My uncles big male, Hans, don't even think about getting stupid around him. You look at him or his family wrong, Hans will let ya know about it!
:salude:
Oh, and about big babys sleeping with ya, try a 100 lb. Pit male! It's like trying to move a 12 year old kid around. Forget it! The wife spoiled him from day one at 7 weeks old. Now 7 years later.
:laughing:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum