german shorthair

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

german shorthair

Postby Boathunter » Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:26 am

I have a 5 month old german shorthair that i am in the process of training. Hes a huge white and liver guy named Bocephus. I am inquiring as to what are the best ways to teach soft mouth as well as how to prevent gun shyness. I am hoping to use him on ducks, doves, quail and pheasant. First gun dog and would appreciate any help you can offer.
If men couldn't hunt, what would we do? ...Golf?
Boathunter
hunter

Postby mfetter » Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:16 pm

I have a GSP that I use for everything as well. I try to stop using him for ducks when there is more ice than water.(Even then he will go with me I just limit his time in the water). ANY WAY You asked a few complicated questions so I will go in order.

I wouldnt have him around gun fire untill he is so fired up about birds that he cant see straight. When this happens and it is a different age for all dogs I would hold a bird in front of him(Pigeons work best(high flyers)) let him get excited and then throw the bird allowing him to chase when he is WAY off fire a single shot HITTING the bird(MAKE SURE THAT YOU HIT THE BIRD) the bird falls the dog gets the bird and now the gun is the best thing is the world.

As far as soft mouth you are going to HAVE TO force fetch the dog. This is a long drawn out process that shouldnt be done untill the dog is mature enough to handle the amount of pressure that you are going to put on him for this process. There are many great videos that describe this process.

The best thing that you can do is to take things slow. If you start to try to speed things up you will make mistakes.

Another thing that you should do is join a bird dog organazation like NAVHDA. They will help you with any problems that you have and it will give you an idea of what to expect from your pup and at what age.

There is another good forum that I strongly suggest you belong to and it is versatiledogs.com

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
mfetter
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:43 pm

I am more cautious than mfetter with my GSP. She is more than willing to go duck hunting in cold weather, but they are not made for it. They don’t have the under coat of a water dog and as the name indicates, they have short hair. I guess it is that “right tool for the right occasion” thing.

GSPs are made to be on the move. They cover the ground and with the short coats, they are able to throw off the heat and hunt for hours on end. Unfortunately, those are not good traits for a dog that must swim in icy water and then sit still.

When the weather turns cold, I either leave the GSP at home or head to the fields for quail and pheasant.

Aside from that, GSPs are my all time favorite. Very smart and very clean (hardly shed at all). I also love the fact that the mud and burs pretty much fall off of them.

Our GSP has the run of the house, is a great family dog, hangs out in my office and runs with my wife and me. But when turned out in a frost burned field, is all bird business.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby TWO GSPS » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:26 pm

BOATHUNTER
I AGREE WITH SOME OF THE POSTS ABOVE BUT HAVE A FEW THINGS I WOULD DO DIFFERENT. FIRST OFF I HAVE 2 GSP'S THAT I HAVE TRAINED WITH THE HELP OF OTHERS IN A QUIAL UNLIMITED CLUB THAT I BELONG TO. IT DEFINATELY WILL HELP YOU OUT TO TRAIN YOUR DOG WITH HELP AND EVEN SOME PROFESSIONAL ADVISE/TRAINING WHEN YOU ENCOUNTER THINGS YOU CAN'T FIGURE OUT ON YOUR OWN.YOU FIRST MUST START YOUR DOG'S TRAINING WITH BASIC DOG OBEDIENCE. FOR A POINTER THIS WILL MEAN: COME OR HERE WHEN CALLED,STAY OR WHOA WHEN TOLD AND UNTIL RELEASED,HEEL UNTIL RELEASED,FETCH THE BIRD,RELEASE THE BIRD, GET 'EM OR WHAT EVER COMMAND YOU WISH TO DESIGNATE TO SEARCH FOR BIRDS. MANY POINTING DOG TRAINERS WILL TELL YOU TO NEVER TEACH YOUR DOG TO SIT BECAUSE SOME WILL SIT INSTEAD OF STAND WHEN THEY POINT, BUT IF YOU'RE PLANNING TO DUCK HUNT YOU HAVE TO FORGET THAT BIT OF ADVISE(I DID AND MY DOGS NEVER SIT ON POINT). I WOULD ALSO TRY TO TRAIN YOUR DOG TO BE STEADY TO WING AND SHOT(NOT BREAK IT'S POINT UNTIL TOLD TO FETCH A SHOT BIRD), IT WILL PREVENT AN ACCIDENTAL SHOOTING OF YOUR DOG IN THE FIELD.I PREFER TO USE A WHISTLE WITH HAND SIGNALS SO LATER ON IN THE TRAINING YOUR DOG WILL UNDERSTAND COMMANDS WITHOUT VERBALLY ISSUING THEM.THESE WILL TAKE TIME AND SHOULD ALL BE ACCOMPLISHED BEFORE YOU EVEN THINK OF ENTERING A GUN INTO THE EQUATION. YOU CAN START OFF A DOGS INTREST IN BIRDS BY ATTACHING WING CLIPPINGS (WHICH YOU CAN GET FROM MANY PLACES SUCH AS CABELAS, ETC) TO DUMMIES FOR HIM/HER TO RETREIVE. YOU SHOULD START OFF GUN TRIANING WITH A CAP GUN (BUY THEM FROM A TOY STORE) AND SLOWLY WORK YOUR WAY UP IN GUN SIZE ACCORDINGLY. YOU WILL TRAMATIZE YOUR DOG IF YOU ATTEMPT THIS WITH A 12 GA. I HAVE SEEN IDIOTS DO THIS AND IT MAKES YOU WANT TO BEAT THE IGNORANCE OUT OF SOME OF THEM. I SAW 1 IDIOT WHO THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A GREAT IDEA TO SHOOT TRAP NEXT TO THIER TIED UP PUPPY. THAT DOG WILL NEVER HUNT, BELIEVE ME.WELL I GOTTA GO SO I'LL LEAVE YOU WITH MY LAST BIT OF ADVISE AND THAT'S LOOK ON THE INTERNET TO JOIN A HUNTING CLUB(QUAIL UNLIMITED,DUCKS UNLIMITED,PHEASANTS FOREVER,ETC.) OR RUN YOUR DOG IN A FEW TRIALS(AKC,NAHVDA,NSTRA, ETC.) IN YOUR AREA. YOU WILL MEET A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO CAN HELP YOU OUT AND GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW HUNTING PARTNER! PM ME IF YOU NEED SOME ADVISE OR HELP.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY DOG.
TWO GSPS
hunter

Postby tome » Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:09 pm

I'am on my 3rd GS...30 yrs. w/ the same breed..I start a puppy 3-4 mo..w/ noise while they eat.. we move to a starter pistol in the 30 yrd range from the dog...when we are over that hump....to the gun club ..on a lead..way away from the shooting lines..I let the pup do whatever it wants..have fun..in the field w/ a wing and the starter pistol..by now the dog should not mind noise..we move to release birds that i work the dog up tp .. point ..release.. shoot...let the dog go after the bird..the dog is having fun..not gun shy.actually associates a shot w/ having fun..over this hump..steady to shot..along w/ basic commands..you have a rough broke dog..the rest is how polished you want to make the dog. these dogs are easy to train ..smart w/ the desire. Duck hunting is a warm water thing..they don't have a second coat..i don't want to see them shiver..get a lab if you want a cold water duck dog. Good Luck
tome
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum