New Dog poodabador retrevier

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: New Dog poodabador retrevier

Postby GarDuck » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:21 am

DO the opposite of what your thinking get him neutered at some point maybe not yet your call and keep the tail! Your lack of willingness to get burrs out of his tail is not worth the surgery...

Also when i tried to pronounce Poodabador it sounded kinda french and i cant help thinking something pooed on a labrador.
GarDuck
hunter

Postby mr bill » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:38 am

Its not about tail cleaning. Its about the tail getting iced over because of the type of hair this dog has. I guess we could shave his tail but that might look real funny.

If I wait to much longer on the tail it could be more painful and harder to heal.

Bill
mr bill
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:41 am

mr bill wrote:Its not about tail cleaning. Its about the tail getting iced over because of the type of hair this dog has. I guess we could shave his tail but that might look real funny.

If I wait to much longer on the tail it could be more painful and harder to heal.

Bill

The hair on the tail is different than the hair on the body?
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby mr bill » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:42 am

[

On a serious note, I definitely think you should neuter yourself.[/quote]

On an even more serious note "What a nutless thing to say." :huh:

Bill
mr bill
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:43 am

mr bill wrote:Its not about tail cleaning. Its about the tail getting iced over because of the type of hair this dog has. I guess we could shave his tail but that might look real funny.

Bill

I think that no matter what you do with that dawg you will always be dealing with "might look real funny." Just sayin...
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:02 am

Locked&Loaded wrote:On a serious note, I definitely think you should neuter yourself.

mr bill wrote: On an even more serious note "What a nutless thing to say." :huh:

Bill

Hey Bill - on a really serious note can you answer my question? :hammer:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:40 pm

mr bill wrote:If I wait to much longer on the tail it could be more painful and harder to heal.

Bill

A vet told you that? 'Cause that pup's already way past it being a simple matter. At this point it's hard to imagine the operation becoming any more complex for the doc or miserable for the dog later on than it already will be.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:52 pm

Not to mention while the dock-tail may be sticking up through the ice the body will be under water.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Phild » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:40 am

I do not know much but I do know that a dog that swims needs its tail to help him steer like a rudder on a boat. Not saying that a docked dog can't but it sure helps. He is really too old and would be very painful for him. Just think you have had a part of you that you were use to using for some time taken away, you have to learn things all over again.

I wouldn't if it were my dog.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:12 pm

Phild wrote:I do not know much but I do know that a dog that swims needs its tail to help him steer like a rudder on a boat. Not saying that a docked dog can't but it sure helps. He is really too old and would be very painful for him. Just think you have had a part of you that you were use to using for some time taken away, you have to learn things all over again.

I wouldn't if it were my dog.

Later
Phil

Thats what I thought...don't cut that damn dogs tail off. Its bad enough he's a somethingdoodleoranother.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mr bill » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:56 am

You guys realize that Im not cutting off his tail for looks and the tail isn't the same thing as cutting off his toe. Tails get cheat grass, cockleburrys in them and if waged or steped on at the wrong time can alert prey of our where abouts. Im not a tail fan for hunting dogs.
Also, advice I recieved yesterday suggests that I should neuter him sooner than later to keep his ability to concentrate on training.

Thanks
Bill
mr bill
hunter

Postby mr bill » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:58 am

HNTFSH wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:On a serious note, I definitely think you should neuter yourself.

mr bill wrote: On an even more serious note "What a nutless thing to say." :huh:

Bill

Hey Bill - on a really serious note can you answer my question? :hammer:

Sorry, I forgot what you asked after you told me to neuter myself. lol :beer:

Bill
mr bill
hunter

Postby GarDuck » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:39 pm

It appears that everyone's advice has fallen on deaf ears
GarDuck
hunter

Postby Phild » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:02 pm

GarDuck wrote:It appears that everyone's advice has fallen on deaf ears

Guess so, kinda like taking your kid cor a circumcision at 3 years old if you ask me. I have never read anywhere that neutering at a young age would help with concentration and training.

From retriever net

On balance, it appears that no compelling case can be made for neutering most male dogs, especially immature male dogs, in order to prevent future health problems. The number of health problems associated with neutering may exceed the associated health benefits in most cases.

On the positive side, neutering male dogs
• eliminates the small risk (probably <1%) of dying from testicular cancer
• reduces the risk of non-cancerous prostate disorders
• reduces the risk of perianal fistulas
• may possibly reduce the risk of diabetes (data inconclusive)

On the negative side, neutering male dogs
• if done before 1 year of age, significantly increases the risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer); this is a common cancer in medium/large and larger breeds with a poor prognosis.
• increases the risk of cardiac hemangiosarcoma by a factor of 1.6
• triples the risk of hypothyroidism
• increases the risk of progressive geriatric cognitive impairment
• triples the risk of obesity, a common health problem in dogs with many associated health problems
• quadruples the small risk (<0.6%) of prostate cancer
• doubles the small risk (<1%) of urinary tract cancers
• increases the risk of orthopedic disorders
• increases the risk of adverse reactions to vaccinations

Another good article

http://www.coteaukennel.com/1-Final%20Neuter-spay.pdf

Not much on attention and training.
But it is your dog do as you wish, mine is female and I named it a male name against everyone I talked to ( a tad different) but its your dog.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby mr bill » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:14 am

Thanks Phil, the article did make me research a bit more. While neutering has been debated with many opinions on both sides I am going to neuter Rex. However, after giving it some thought, I will wait until he is 8 months old instead of 5 months old. As far as the tail, it can be amptutated at 8 months as well according to the vet. Many vets will not do the procedure but vets that hunt dont have a problem with tail removal at all. My vet said its no problem. Other hunting dogs we have owned had tail removal arround 6 month.

Neutering makes for less distracted dog. I have been with guys who have dogs that want to pee on everything and are really distracted to the point they scare prey.

Bill
mr bill
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:16 am

mr bill wrote:Thanks Phil, the article did make me research a bit more. While neutering has been debated with many opinions on both sides I am going to neuter Rex. However, after giving it some thought, I will wait until he is 8 months old instead of 5 months old. As far as the tail, it can be amptutated at 8 months as well according to the vet. Many vets will not do the procedure but vets that hunt dont have a problem with tail removal at all. My vet said its no problem. Other hunting dogs we have owned had tail removal arround 6 month.

Neutering makes for less distracted dog. I have been with guys who have dogs that want to pee on everything and are really distracted to the point they scare prey.

Bill

that's the training not the testicles.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby mr bill » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:54 am

At just under 5 months Rex will heel, sit, stay, down,fetch and is potty trained to crap on a mat. He is now learning hand signals and will sit, stay , heel and fetch after 60 seconds of watching my hand signal. Im tossing the decoy behind objects and he is to sit for 60 seconds and get the decoy. At this point he is having problems with finding the decoy if I toss it behind a bush and make him wait. He sees my signal and goes to the bush but doesnt seem to want to go to the other side and get the decoy. It might take a better treat like a piece of meat zip tied to the decoy.

Thanks for responding. The opinions of other dog hunters is good to have.

Bill
mr bill
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:03 pm

mr bill wrote:It might take a better treat like a piece of meat zip tied to the decoy.

:lol3: I still say that Clyde is alive and well.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:53 pm

Well I did google Poodabador and only came up with two site references. This and a Labradoodle forum. A forum also visited by Mr. Bill. All that really tells me is he indeed created the breed name.

As far as tying a piece of meat to a decoy and tossing it behind the bush, I don't know.

I'm still trying to figure out how the bobbbed tail is gonna help his dog not sink when its hair ices up.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:16 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:
mr bill wrote:It might take a better treat like a piece of meat zip tied to the decoy.

Poo-da-bador..... :rolleyes: :hammer:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:53 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:

Let us pray so for the dog's sake.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby mgerlach » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:10 pm

i really hope this is a joke, but if its not at least he is getting his mutt fixed. we dont need mixed breed retreivers imo.
mgerlach
hunter

Postby teamMASSacre » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:51 am

I don't believe in my limited experience that neutering at an early age is beneficial. On the tail docking I know it is best to be done at a very early age, like said before. I do wish you the best of luck with your new pup and many good times. as far as the comment about mixed breed retrievers goes, I think there have been tons of great hunting "mutts" from accidental breedings. I do disagree with people breeding these dogs on purpose and charging people through the nose for them. Again good luck
teamMASSacre
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:02 am

mr bill wrote:YUP, I made it up and I R sticking to it. :thumbsup:

Anyway, I have scheduled in the surgery for both tail and nuts, but I might hold off on the nuts for a while.

Man you've got that 100% backwards! And FWIW leave the tail alone and trim it.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:06 am

Going to cross breed a Mastiff with a Lab now.

MASTIBADOR :wink:
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum