New Dog poodabador retrevier

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Re: New Dog poodabador retrevier

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:59 am

ohio mike wrote:
mr bill wrote:YUP, I made it up and I R sticking to it. :thumbsup:

Anyway, I have scheduled in the surgery for both tail and nuts, but I might hold off on the nuts for a while.

Go ahead and schedule yourself while your at it.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mr bill » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:31 am

ctdeathfrombelow wrote:Going to cross breed a Mastiff with a Lab now.

MASTIBADOR :wink:

lol... thats funny :lol:
mr bill
hunter

Postby mr bill » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:47 am

No joke, Im Bill. I dont know why Im being called Clyde. Yes Im here and at Labradoodle forums asking questions about my dog because we really did get one. I showed the picture of Rex and seem to be getting a bucket load of crap from people that use dogs to hunt because Im going to neuter him and have his tail docked.

I have had labs in the past and all had their tail docked and all were fixed. This is the type of animal I prefer to hunt with. Im hoping the new dog will be as good and he is showing progress that he might be. Also it might be nice to have a dog that doesnt shed. Rex didnt cost any more than any lab I have owned but he isnt a purebred either.

So to you guys that think I am somehow scamming you or feel the need to check me out for some reason all I can say is its your time to waste.

Anyway, good skyblastin

Bill
mr bill
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:52 am

mr bill wrote:No joke, Im Bill. I dont know why Im being called Clyde. Yes Im here and at Labradoodle forums asking questions about my dog because we really did get one. I showed the picture of Rex and seem to be getting a bucket load of crap from people that use dogs to hunt because Im going to neuter him and have his tail docked.

I have had labs in the past and all had their tail docked and all were fixed. This is the type of animal I prefer to hunt with. Im hoping the new dog will be as good and he is showing progress that he might be. Also it might be nice to have a dog that doesnt shed. Rex didnt cost any more than any lab I have owned but he isnt a purebred either.

So to you guys that think I am somehow scamming you or feel the need to check me out for some reason all I can say is its your time to waste.

Anyway, good skyblastin

Bill

Folks thought you might be Clyde because he appears in various forms and comes up with a lot of dumb $hit.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:56 am

What did you expect coming to a legit duck hunting forum with that labradonkey tail docking nut choping jaz. We don't mind answering questions but if you don't like what we have to say then stay on the doodle forum.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mr bill » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:55 pm

LaRedneck wrote:What did you expect coming to a legit duck hunting forum with that labradonkey tail docking nut choping jaz. We don't mind answering questions but if you don't like what we have to say then stay on the doodle forum.

Well , off the get go you seem ok , but after a bit the jerky shows up. If you dont have anything intelligent to say just shut up. That way you will seem smarter than you are and wont get beat down when you go to town.

Bill
mr bill
hunter

Postby Phild » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:28 pm

Bill seems like every new guy gets a hard time because they are well ....new. If you don't do your homework, ask redundant questions or take the best advice found on the internet (here) and run with it you get beat up on. Also if you don't have a lab or chessie or other standard retriever well you guessed it, it gets beat up on. Also if you talk about all these things and what gets you beat up on well I may just get beat up on too LOL.

Said it once and will say it again there is a lot of great guys on here with a lot of great info but you really have to wade thru the crap on the internet to get the good stuff. I know what I would do and many others here know what they would do all we can do is present you with our opinion and findings we have came across. It is still your pup and you should enjoy him. It is like the big drink of 151 proof rum all the advice in the world and still a guy will drink it down LOL.

Don't get too heated and take it for what it is others opinions.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Eric1542 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:42 am

We were recently down at a friend's place on the river. A couple down there had a 10 month old labradoodle and I have always been interested to see how this crossbreed would do. I will say the dog was a retrieving machine both in and out of the water. She had no fear and handled the strong Mississippi current easily. She was a bit sissy looking with her curls and the poodle posture but she was driven, focused and obviously intelligent. The water and muck would likely be a nightmare with her coat, but she was trimmed down and dried quickly.

One thing all the pure breed Nazis need to keep in mind is that every pure breed started as a crossbreed. First generation cross breeds generally receive heterosis or "hybrid vigor". Which in the long run means that a first level cross has a really good chance of being stronger, smarter and healthier than the pure breeds.

To answer the original poster's question. I would wait to neuter until he has received his full potential. Neutering male dogs seems to be more of a preference thing and I personally wouldn't neuter one. I would leave the tail and just trim it before hunting.
Eric1542
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:44 am

mr bill wrote:
LaRedneck wrote:What did you expect coming to a legit duck hunting forum with that labradonkey tail docking nut choping jaz. We don't mind answering questions but if you don't like what we have to say then stay on the doodle forum.

Well , off the get go you seem ok , but after a bit the jerky shows up. If you dont have anything intelligent to say just shut up. That way you will seem smarter than you are and wont get beat down when you go to town.

Bill

I am ok until someone doesn't take the advice given here and wants to explain themselves for three pages, I'll admit it i'm an butt most of the time and say alot of smartass comments. I'll admit I hate doodles. But it's frustrating because i'm sitting back thinking about other hunting dogs that have bushy tails that aren't dock like goldens yet you want to complain about ice and kuckleburs...just take what advice you've been given and move on.

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:21 pm

Eric1542 wrote:One thing all the pure breed Nazis need to keep in mind is that every pure breed started as a crossbreed. First generation cross breeds generally receive heterosis or "hybrid vigor".

That's always a weak argument cause I'm guessing most Labradoodles for instance - aren't being bred from prime Lab and Poodle working stock. In fact - bet most aren't bred for anything at all, except cash. That goes for all designer mixed breeds. Might make fine pets though.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby ohio mike » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:56 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
Eric1542 wrote:One thing all the pure breed Nazis need to keep in mind is that every pure breed started as a crossbreed. First generation cross breeds generally receive heterosis or "hybrid vigor".

That's always a weak argument cause I'm guessing most Labradoodles for instance - aren't being bred from prime Lab and Poodle working stock. In fact - bet most aren't bred for anything at all, except cash. That goes for all designer mixed breeds. Might make fine pets though.

Not to mention the thousands of dogs and pups destroyed in the culling process by the old time breeders. To develop a new SPORTING BREED of the caliber of a Lab or Chessie most likely will get you a michael Vick type sentence. Things ain't what they used to be.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby mr bill » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:21 am

We took Rex in and had the tail cut off at the 4th vertibrea and also had 2 dew claws removed. Nuetering will be happening in about 6 months. So far he seems fine and is licking his tail stub occasionally but not chewing or tearing the stiches. In about 9 days the stiches and bandages will come off and off to the river we go.

The only traing he gets right now is sit and stay.

Bill
mr bill
hunter

Postby Small Block » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:13 pm

Certainly different and interesting.........or is it ....interesting and different?
Small Block
Small Block
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:11 am

Locked&Loaded wrote::lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
This dog breed differs from a labradoodle how?
A Labradoodle is when a male Lab mates with a female poodle.
The poodabador is when a male poodle mates with a female Lab.

You can tell because a labradoodle has a Lab head and a poodle body.
The poodabador has a poodle head and Lab body.
The poodabador is far superior to the Labradoodle and has won more titles. (joking)

Hunts with poodles....where are you?
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby nvwaterfowl » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:29 am

It's still a crossbred. But it is the best of both worlds. The most intelligent of breeds the poodle and the hardest swimmer the lab.
I have a 1 yr old poodle in training. she is at 50 lbs now probably close to full grown. But remember that poodles don't not fully mature until they are almost 2 yrs old. I am taking my time in her training because I don't want to push her she should be ready for next hunting season. I would suggest for mr bill to get the dog a hair cut. Take him to a groomer and have them cut his hair a half to one inch long all around depending on were you live. He will make a great dog when he gets all the puppy out of him,
and good luck.
nvwaterfowl
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:04 am

nvwaterfowl wrote:It's still a crossbred. But it is the best of both worlds. The most intelligent of breeds the poodle and the hardest swimmer the lab.

Or the worst of both worlds which from a probability perspective is very high.

Be interesting to see your Poodles pedigree and the line behind it.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby mr bill » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:48 pm

Rex at 5 months with tail docked and dew claws removed. He didnt act any different after the surgery so Im not sure if there was any pain involved. He didnt like the bandages on his front leg after about 10 days because he is growing at least a pound a day.

Bill
mr bill
hunter

Postby mr bill » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:49 pm

mr bill
hunter

Postby cootlover » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:21 pm

That's a good looking dog I'am getting one this spring so it don't shed in the house. who cares what kind of mutt it is as long as you don't have to go get your own duck's :biggrin:
cootlover
hunter

Postby mr bill » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:05 pm

Thanks, we like him. No shed in back of the suv is nice. :biggrin:

Bill
mr bill
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:58 am

I was at a boat ramp a week ago and a duck boat had just cruised in from finishing a hunt just like us and the boat the guys had was a new Gator Trax that I wanted to check out, it was a bad arse rig and had a suped up mud motor. At the front of the boat was the whitest poodle I had ever seen (he did have a vest on it). I said to him thats the first poodle I had ever seen during duck season. It came out that he got the poodle because his little boy had allergies. The white poodle was not nearly as good looking a dog as the pictured poobador. Being the fact that the dog was a white poodle I suspect his wife had more to do with it than his kids allegies. Really was kind of comical the guy had a monster truck with a lift kit huge mudder tires and he himself was about 6'3" 270 and looked like he could carry two kegs of beer under each arm, but that poodle was scrawny looking. Me and my buddy would not have believed it had we not seen it.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:20 pm

Cute pup. I hope you enjoy him. Oh ya, I have noticed there is more than one "Clyde" on this post. Just my opinion. Duckdon
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby mr bill » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:46 pm

Ok, so Rex is about 15 months old now. This dog is nothing like the labs I have owned. He obeys and has been easy to train but is not doing well swimming. He is also kind of timid and he acts like a scardy cat some of the time. He won't go into the river past his neck to retrieve.
As far as being a great pet that will get your slippers, newspaper and maybe a beer he is fantastic. He is really easy to train for most things. He would make a great service dog and I think thats what he was breed for. He rarely barks. Doesn't shed. Walks and heels very well. Can tell the difference between objects to fetch. Poops on his pad and urinates in the same areas. I think if I had a shower stall I could easily train him to potty there. Doesn't get excited about much. Loves to be near us what ever we are doing. He really is a remarkable dog but I would not recommend a labradoodle to any one that seriously wants a hunting dog that will retrieve in the water. Get a lab.

We will keep trying and see how he does this duck season.
mr bill
hunter

Postby gonehuntin' » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:00 pm

Lord a'mighty, that is an ugly enough tail. And I thought a dog's nuts were ugly! A poodle's tail is straight. A lab's tail is straight. Where's that pig-tail come from? I guess you have to whack it off, cause with all the different directions it goes in, wouldn't make much of a rudder. :biggrin:
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Postby KaceyDucks » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:48 pm

mr bill wrote:
HNTFSH wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:On a serious note, I definitely think you should neuter yourself.

mr bill wrote: On an even more serious note "What a nutless thing to say." :huh:

Bill

Hey Bill - on a really serious note can you answer my question? :hammer:

Sorry, I forgot what you asked after you told me to neuter myself. lol :beer:

Bill

yes neuter your dog so that he becomes a big p***y and won't have the drive to hunt. You have no clue what you are talking about. Maybe you should reconsider the ownership of any animal and also the 'friends' that you are consulting on dog ownership.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants." -- Thomas Jefferson
KaceyDucks
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum