New Dog poodabador retrevier

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Re: New Dog poodabador retrevier

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:52 pm

HNTFSH wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how the bobbbed tail is gonna help his dog not sink when its hair ices up.

Ice floats so do swimming dogs. The Poobadabadoobedobeedor is just gonna be a lot slower swimming all iced up. That and he should jingle like a wind chime when he climbs out of the water.

Mr Bill. Good luck with the pooch, and the tail wagging thing is the silliest comment I have ever heard about a dog. If that was a major problem. Every lab and Chessie on the planet would have a docked tail. I have as of yet to see one serious waterfowling dog breed with docked tails.

To the poster on tails as rudders. The tail is far more important for balance on land than as a rudder in water. Water being a very dense medium means that any minor corrective action a dogs tail could make would be irrelevant. If you watch your dog run it generally rolls it's tail in tight circles to help maintain balance. If you watch one retrieve in water the tail is invariable straight back to streamline the dogs swimming form and minimize drag.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Labs » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:15 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
mr bill wrote:Come on, your saying it wrong !!! REX is a poodabador retriever. Retreiver makes it a manly beast. :biggrin:

Bill

That's made up. I couldn't find it in the 'Working Retriever' descriptions. It's a Poodabador. But funny as these cross bred dogs keep getting different names for some reason. Learned here you can't call a Weimador a Weimador. It's a Labaraner. :lol3:

Dammit....and I have been calling them silver labs this whole time.... :biggrin:
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby Labs » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:36 pm

mr bill wrote:Ok, so Rex is about 15 months old now. This dog is nothing like the labs I have owned. He obeys and has been easy to train but is not doing well swimming. He is also kind of timid and he acts like a scardy cat some of the time. He won't go into the river past his neck to retrieve.
As far as being a great pet that will get your slippers, newspaper and maybe a beer he is fantastic. He is really easy to train for most things. He would make a great service dog and I think thats what he was breed for. He rarely barks. Doesn't shed. Walks and heels very well. Can tell the difference between objects to fetch. Poops on his pad and urinates in the same areas. I think if I had a shower stall I could easily train him to potty there. Doesn't get excited about much. Loves to be near us what ever we are doing. He really is a remarkable dog but I would not recommend a labradoodle to any one that seriously wants a hunting dog that will retrieve in the water. Get a lab.
We will keep trying and see how he does this duck season.

This is a great point...Mr Bill have another 10-13 years with a dog that won't get out and hunt for him....and as an earlier post suggests, I would want to see the poodle's pedigree...there aren't many out there that are proven hunters...aka, have a MH, MHR, or HRCH titles...
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:42 pm

mr bill wrote:He really is a remarkable dog but I would not recommend a labradoodle to any one that seriously wants a hunting dog that will retrieve in the water. Get a lab.

I'm listening....
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Previous

Return to Hunting Dog Forum