Training Lab To Use Dog Blind

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Training Lab To Use Dog Blind

Postby GunDawg420 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:53 pm

:help:
Alright I've gotta feeling I'll probably get a lot of crap for asking this question, but here it goes....I've gotta 3 year old black lab, I followed the Water Dog book by Wolters as my training guide. She is very good hunting out a normal duck blind or out of a boat, or off shore, but she has never had any training hunting out of a dog blind, I just never thought I would need it. Well now I just got invited on and booked a spring snow goose hunt out in South Dakota. Im super excited about this trip and I see this hunt as a once in a lifetime hunting trip, and what is a hunting trip of a lifetime without your bestfriend and best hunting partner!?!?!? So I have 2 months to train my dog and get her used to hunting out of a dog blind...Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks guys!
If you're too busy to go duck hunting, then you're too busy!
GunDawg420
hunter

Re: Training Lab To Use Dog Blind

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:59 pm

It's the same as Place or Kennel. Along with not breaking. Did you TRAIN Place or Kennel?
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:03 pm

Get the blind NOW, and start getting your dog acclimated to being in it for periods of time...steady while inside too.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Labs » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:06 pm

First of all, congrats on your first snow goose hunt...you will have a blast. Second, IF this is a guided trip, you may or may not get to use your dog, so make sure you have that all cleared before you go.

Training a dog to use the field blind is pretty easy...I assume that you already have the blind and it is big enough for your pooch to fit into...

Question: Is your dog steady? 100% Steady? A snow goose hunt is not the place to find out, I can guarantee you that....

1)Set the blind up out in your front lawn...or in your basement, if there is too much snow.
2) Let you hound check it out...sniff it, look at it, whatever...
3)Tell your dog to "kennel"...as I can only assume that you use this command for your dog to "kennel" at home...some people use "load up"...whatever your command is.
4)Let the dog be in the blind with it's head sticking out....no other stimulus, yet...make your dog sit there for an extended period
5) Once the dog is used to being in the thing, walk around the blind...let it get used to some movement.
6) Walk around the blind with your shotgun in your hands...more stimulus
7) Blow on your calls with the dog in the blind...more stimulus
8) Set up your layout blind next to the dog's field blind and the the hound get used to hearing your blind open up for a shot...this is the place where your dog is likely to break...

Please note, all of this won't be accomplished in one session. Read your dog and see how they handle the new stimulus, but is should go pretty quick...
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby labtrainer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:52 pm

I think Labs assumed that you would progress to:
9) Let the dog see Marks fall (preferably from a hidden bird boy) ......more stimulus
10) Maximum stimulus: call and shoot Marks from your layout while dog remains steady in dog blind.

Great advise in the above replies. Hope you have a great time! :thumbsup:
"Keep your eye's on the horizion"
from my Dad on my first duck hunt!
labtrainer
hunter

Postby Labman_1967 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:42 pm

I train my dogs the down and kennel command. Some dogs will not go in a dog blind even if they know the kennel command very well. They are nervous about getting inside something they are not familiar with. I have used treats in the past, I have also threw a happy bumper inside the dog blind and once the dog has been inside several times I will give a sit command once inside the blind. After a few times of this the dog was comfortable going inside the blind on the kennel command. After I have the dog going inside the blind on the kennel command and laying down on command, I like to throw retrieves from the blind. This way they associate something very positive with the blind and they love going inside.

To help keep a steady dog while hunting from a field blind. I always will call my dog to me and send them on a retrieve from there. I feel if you send your dog for a retrieve right from the field blind you will entice breaking. Good luck and I hope you have a great hunt in South Dakota.
Labman_1967
hunter

Postby Labs » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:11 am

labtrainer wrote:I think Labs assumed that you would progress to:
9) Let the dog see Marks fall (preferably from a hidden bird boy) ......more stimulus
10) Maximum stimulus: call and shoot Marks from your layout while dog remains steady in dog blind.

Great advise in the above replies. Hope you have a great time! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: ...however, based on the time of year, and the fact that he has a short window, I didn't think he would be able to get those last two points in by the time he was ready to leave.... :wink:
Labs
hunter

Postby Labs » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:15 am

Labman_1967 wrote:ITo help keep a steady dog while hunting from a field blind. I always will call my dog to me and send them on a retrieve from there. I feel if you send your dog for a retrieve right from the field blind you will entice breaking. Good luck and I hope you have a great hunt in South Dakota.

With this, you send a dog for a mark from a point that the dog didn't mark the bird from...can cause all kinds of problems...good thing the snow geese are white....

I keep the dogs field blind right next to my layout, so there is no calling the dog over. The dog is sent directly from the dog blind. You may also need to keep your thumb on the ecollar remote and maybe not shoot a couple volleys to ensure steadiness....

Labs
Labs
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:29 am

swampbilly 1980 wrote:Get the blind NOW, and start getting your dog acclimated to being in it for periods of time...steady while inside too.

Yup!! Just sit it up in the yard or house and get the dog in it... Then start doing some simple marks with dog in the blind... They will put 2 and 2 together!! Like said use place or kennel or spot whatever you use for the "place" your dog is suppose to be when you are hunting!
Attachments
qwe 001.jpg
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:33 am

Lots of great suggestions above. :thumbsup: Start training!
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Labs » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:40 am

Cmon, willie....make the pic authentic.... :wink:

Labs
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:14 pm

dont know how big you are or how big your dog is but have you tried working out of the layout blind my brother in law puts his dog in the layout with him and seems to work well.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:24 pm

krazybronco2 wrote:dont know how big you are or how big your dog is but have you tried working out of the layout blind my brother in law puts his dog in the layout with him and seems to work well.

I have no problem saying this.... THAT IS THE WORSE IDEA EVER!!!! A dog moving around in a layout blind with you and a gun... :hammer: :hammer: Huh what could go wrong.. :huh: :huh: Dogs belong in dog blinds! Not in a layout blind

Note not the first time thats been mentioned here and not the first time its be called a bad idea
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby Labs » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:22 pm

i_willie12 wrote:
krazybronco2 wrote:dont know how big you are or how big your dog is but have you tried working out of the layout blind my brother in law puts his dog in the layout with him and seems to work well.

I have no problem saying this.... THAT IS THE WORSE IDEA EVER!!!! A dog moving around in a layout blind with you and a gun... :hammer: :hammer: Huh what could go wrong.. :huh: :huh: Dogs belong in dog blinds! Not in a layout blind

Note not the first time thats been mentioned here and not the first time its be called a bad idea

X 2!
Labs
hunter

Postby labtrainer » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:52 pm

Yeah, I gotta agree, the dog belongs in it's own blind, beside and slighty behind the gunner.
Out of the line of fire and behind the muzzle blast :thumbsup:
"Keep your eye's on the horizion"
from my Dad on my first duck hunt!
labtrainer
hunter

Postby GunDawg420 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:17 pm

Wow lots of great ideas n good advice, thanks a lot fellas!
I've only had one afternoon to start the training since my original post. Started last night with the blind in the living room, she was very nervous and cautious about going inside at first. But after a lil coaxing with treats n her favorite bumper shes now going in and laying down no problem with the "kennel" command. I did a minute or two of duck calling while she was in the blind and she held steady. She gave me the "what F are you duck calling in the house for look" but all in all she stayed put in the blind and I'd like to say we are off to a great start! How long do I keep up the fun acclimation phase before I start in on more serious hunt situation training?
If you're too busy to go duck hunting, then you're too busy!
GunDawg420
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:31 am

i_willie12 wrote:

i will mention that to him for next season and his birthday is coming up so buck may be getting his own blind!!!
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:10 am

GunDawg420 wrote:Wow lots of great ideas n good advice, thanks a lot fellas!
I've only had one afternoon to start the training since my original post. Started last night with the blind in the living room, she was very nervous and cautious about going inside at first. But after a lil coaxing with treats n her favorite bumper shes now going in and laying down no problem with the "kennel" command. I did a minute or two of duck calling while she was in the blind and she held steady. She gave me the "what F are you duck calling in the house for look" but all in all she stayed put in the blind and I'd like to say we are off to a great start! How long do I keep up the fun acclimation phase before I start in on more serious hunt situation training?

Start now! Once dog is use to going in then start training.. They will put it together fast! :thumbsup: Just go out in the yard, put her in her blind, you get in your blind.. LAy there blow the call, sit up in your blind, come flying out of it like normal without shooting... Have a helper throw some bumpers.. Just think about the stuff you do in a layout blind while hunting... They just have to get use to you laying on the ground next to them and retrieving out of them.

Note is alot easier to keep the dog steady in the blind if you dont allow the dog to break or get happy feet from day 1!!!! Keep them in it Dont let them slip
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby brokermike » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:09 am

Any other advice here? My lab is pretty big (80lbs) and seems scared shitless to get in her dog blind. She kennels to her dog crate on command without problem, but won't go in her blind.

I've tried enticing her with treats, she sticks her head in but won't go any farther

I tried putting her food bowl in there at breakfast time this morning, she wouldn't eat

I tried putting her dog blind in her wire crate and giving her the kennel command, she sat outside her wire crate and tried to figure out how to climb on top of her camo blind.

It is the biggest camo dog blind I could find,Field Bully, with flaps on both sides.

Our lab is pretty soft, so I'm trying positive reinforcement before any other alternatives.

Thoughts?
brokermike
hunter

Postby Labs » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:52 am

brokermike wrote:Any other advice here? My lab is pretty big (80lbs) and seems scared shitless to get in her dog blind. She kennels to her dog crate on command without problem, but won't go in her blind.

I've tried enticing her with treats, she sticks her head in but won't go any farther

I tried putting her food bowl in there at breakfast time this morning, she wouldn't eat

I tried putting her dog blind in her wire crate and giving her the kennel command, she sat outside her wire crate and tried to figure out how to climb on top of her camo blind.

It is the biggest camo dog blind I could find,Field Bully, with flaps on both sides.

Our lab is pretty soft, so I'm trying positive reinforcement before any other alternatives.

Thoughts?

I see the issue...are you kenneling your dog in a wire crate all the time? Do you have a plastic crate for transporting in the car? If not, you need to get her used to being in a dark or partially lit crate....

then, you could brush up your dog kennel. My buddy didn't have a dog blind for our first field hunt together, and I told him to just camo up the kennel...we used just the top 1/2 of the kennel to keep the profile down, and he went in without issue. I would break the kennel in half, and lay it out on the lawn....tell her to kennel up.
Labs
hunter

Postby brokermike » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:10 pm

yes she is crated in a wire crate. In the truck she rides on the seat :oops:

I will darken her wire crate and kennel in that a few times and then I'll try drag her wire crate outside and work on both ideas

Thanks
brokermike
hunter

Postby Labs » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:13 pm

brokermike wrote:yes she is crated in a wire crate. In the truck she rides on the seat :oops:

I will darken her wire crate and kennel in that a few times and then I'll try drag her wire crate outside and work on both ideas

Thanks

Just put a blanket over her wire crate so she cant see out except for the front...I would put her in it first, then cover her up...then let her get used to going into it covered....should help....
Labs
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:10 pm

Labs wrote:
brokermike wrote:yes she is crated in a wire crate. In the truck she rides on the seat :oops:

Thanks

Just put a blanket over her wire crate so she cant see out except for the front...I would put her in it first, then cover her up...then let her get used to going into it covered....should help....

I tried that once, but I ended up finding blanket in my pups poop.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby Rutin » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:52 pm

Simply train, train, train and build a solid foundation that "kennel" (whatever word you use) means stay steady and stay in the blind until released.
Sargent Taylor's Hevi-Shot (Sarge)
Great Ballz of Fire (Maverick)
Rutin
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:12 pm

Nice photos - I wish i could get a few of my new pup, but he's so spastic everything is a blur!
Duck Diver
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum