Germany's versatile breeds

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: Germany's versatile breeds

Postby Griffdom » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:36 pm

I agree that GSP's can be very versatile. There is a reason that they (DK) are still the number 2 breed in Germany in terms of popularity. The DD is most popular. I have a field trial GSP and she not too versatile. If I get another I will be getting one from NAVHDA lines or a DK. Glad to see your success. How cold do you feel comfortable taking your GSP out duck hunting?
Griffdom
hunter

Postby Idaho Savage » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:23 pm

My $.02:

I have owned labs in the past and after my last chocolate, Paco, died, I did a lot of research and ended up getting a Griff. Like many here have pointed out, make sure you're getting a VHD bred for hunting! My Griff, Steve, came from a long line of hunters and his dad was a NAVHDA VC Champion, so I knew he had pretty good odds.

Griffs, like many dogs, can vary in weight. I wanted a large one due to the extreme cold we get here in Idaho. Steve is now 80lbs, so he's pretty big for the breed. Many are 60 - 70.

My main decision to get a versatile breed was because I spend a lot of time both waterfowling and upland hunting. Seldom do I go duck hunting without chasing roosters, huns, quail or chukar on the drive home. I figured versatile breeds like the Griffon would make good retrievers, but probably not lab-caliber.

Boy was I wrong.

Steve simply out performs any lab I've ever owned. Their drive is unstoppable, they are extremely intelligent and their nose is like nothing I've ever seen. Steve holds, retrieves and handles very well, has a soft mouth and actually endures cold temperatures better than any lab I've ever had. Back to the nose: It's quite evident that these dogs use their nose more than most retrievers. When Steve is out on retrieve, he holds his head high while swimming, scanning above the ripples but also honing in on scent. He's three and he's already had several "head dunks" on submerged birds and birds under banks. He will stay out on retrieve until I call him back...they are beyond driven. In short, I couldn't be happier because I get all this, then get to watch him track and point upland birds like a GSP. No more worrying about keeping a dog in range. I just let him out and literally follow him around fields, etc. If he finds a bird 200 yards out, he'll simply point it and hold until I get there.

That all said, be aware of the following: These are high energy dogs. Steve needs to work or exercise every day. They are prone to separation anxiety--Steve is actually perfectly fine if we leave him at home, but if he can see us working in the yard, etc., while he's inside, he'll go ape crap barking and whining. They simply want to be with you all of the time. They can be protective of their people: Steve has a ferocious bark and is an excellent watch dog but he never bites or mouths. He can be intimidating to people who don't know him or whom he doesn't know. And they can be stubborn. He took a little longer to house break, etc. Finally, they are one of the most affectionate dogs you've ever met. My GF loves him like a child as he loves to be hugged, cuddled, etc. and LOVES his people.

Do NOT even consider a Griff as a kennel dog. It simply won't work--they need interaction and a kennel situation would be a disaster.
Idaho Savage
hunter

Postby wpevey » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:49 pm

Griffdom wrote:I agree that GSP's can be very versatile. There is a reason that they (DK) are still the number 2 breed in Germany in terms of popularity. The DD is most popular. I have a field trial GSP and she not too versatile. If I get another I will be getting one from NAVHDA lines or a DK. Glad to see your success. How cold do you feel comfortable taking your GSP out duck hunting?

yeah I consider her more of a DK than a GSP b/c of her blood lines. Smartest dog I've ever owned.

I live in Louisiana so it does not get very cold here, mabey 3-4 hunts where its freezing at daylight? On days where its like that I usually have a little heater in the boat that helps out (both me and her lol). But as long as I can keep her out of the water and wind between retrieves she is fine. I keep a towl with me also and towl her down occasionaly. She is a inside pet as well so it makes her a bit sensitive lol, if she was aclimated to outside more She would never have a problem. In 5 seasons I left her once b/c of cold, it was in low teens and I had to break ice to launch the Pirogue and all the way into the marsh.

My trainer is from Texas originaly and used to running GSP's, he has told me they hunted them in everything the put the labs in and never had an issue. I think if they are acclimated they can hang pretty good with a vest on.
wpevey
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:25 pm

corncob wrote:
chad85 wrote:Don't forget the jagdterrier
FIFY
pound for pound baddest dog there is i have 4. versatile? i dont think they qualify IMHO

What do you hunt with your jagd's? Boar?

Versatile? I don't know, depends on ones definition, but from what I understand people hunt all kinds of things with them in Germany. I once heard a guy say ' jagd's are not pets, they are weapons.' His little girl was seriously bit in the face by his before he got rid of it.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby chad85 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:53 pm

People use Jagd terriers for retrieveing I haven't had any luck doing it just to fur crazy I have hunted mine on coons and she does pretty good on the tree. I guess it's from her parents being imported from Serbia. I'm not coon hunting no more so I'm selling her or I really want to trade her for a Boykin spaniel pup. So if u guys see any let me no
chad85
hunter

Postby verg » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:52 pm

no offense but..show me a 25 lb goose and I'll show you either and drunk or a liar...probably both! :wink:
verg
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:15 pm

Not quite a Canada, but a distant relative. It's certainly 25 lbs.

giantgoose.jpg
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Dog Forum