"Coal" - A work in progress @ 19 weeks

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

"Coal" - A work in progress @ 19 weeks

Postby Duck Diver » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:50 pm

I got my puppy this week. He's a ball of energy and fun.

Last edited by Duck Diver on Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Duck Diver
hunter

Re: First Lab - Coal

Postby Rutin » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:28 pm

Good looking pup
Sargent Taylor's Hevi-Shot (Sarge)
Great Ballz of Fire (Maverick)
Rutin
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:34 am

A little video from last week doing some of his first retrieves.

http://youtu.be/4Gl9WuoG4IA

I think he understands here, but comes at his own will sometimes. Doing great w/ sit. Not so well w/ kennel, its a fighting match to get him into the crate and door shut sometimes.
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby AveryB » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:44 pm

I had trouble at first with the kennel with Avery, but it helped to lead her in with just a piece of food that you normally feed her, and just to that a few times and give one or two pieces once in the kennel every now and then. Also put a toy he likes in or something.
AveryB
hunter

Postby GarDuck » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:06 pm

Spectacular have fun!
GarDuck
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:47 am

He is starting to make a game out of getting him into the kennel. He will sit like a champ for a piece of food, but when i hold the food into the kennel he starts chewing my hand and makes a wrestling match out of it. If i toss it in, he ignores it.

I read some stuff yesterday on the chewing/biting. My older mom lives with me and takes him out for lunch - he is destroying her hands. I tried no/no bite for like a week and he only responds a little. I'm trying to hold his muzzle and sometimes pin him with hand on throat. (just started this yesterday 2-3 times)

I read all this stuff about keeping his attitude positive and up - but he's getting out of hand with the biting/chewing. Only 9 weeks old today, but still.

There was a long post on biting/chewing, with lots of suggestions not sure I picked the right two. He seems to respond to them, but was biting me again this morning. How stern/aggresive should i be toward him to get him to stop? After i get his shots tomorrow i'll get him around some other dogs, maybe that will help?
Duck Diver
hunter

Re: First Lab - Coal (1st time trainer!)

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:04 am

It's ok to use treats to encourage pups and get a conditioned response on obedience such as 'kennel, sit, here, etc'. With 'kennel', probably the easiest to get compliance, just place a treat inside the kennel where he can get to it without going all the way in and say "kennel", next just a little further, etc, etc. Soon he's all the way in and coming back out. Then toss it in. Don't shut the door yet. Wait til he'll go in expecting the treat from "kennel" then close the door and give the treat. etc, etc Takes about a day. Make it a place he wants to go. (I use Puperoni sticks cut into small 1/4 lengths, walmart has their brand that are cheaper)
Nice looking pup. Have fun!

Please make sure you've got a good program to work with for your and the pup's sake!
If you bleed like I do, get you a good pair of gloves. I use a pair of welder's gloves when working with puppies!!
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:07 pm

I've got evan grahams smartworks. I'll have to rewatch where the lady does the intro to kennel.

I need to spend more time on kennel and not just tossing a few treats when its time to put him up. Thx for feedback.
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:33 am

I'm not doing well with the house breaking. Any tips would be in appreciated. I've read the new puppy post here and trying to following it, but adjusted feeding / water a bit. Perhaps my problem.

My breeder told me to feed 3x per day. I've been feeding about 3/4 cup 3x per day. Can i reduce this to twice (larger amounts) with a 10 week pup and see better results? The article also says remove food/water. I've been giving the pup a lot of access to water. I try to make sure he's given ample time after he drinks to pee. Can I seriously only give the pup water 2-3x per day and it be healthy for him? I live in Virginia, its 85-90 already and will get hotter in the next month.

There is no lack of taking this dog out to air. I mean, all hours of the night i'm taking him out. And constantly through out the day myself or someone else is letting him in and out.

I took him to the vet last week for 9 week shots and he had worms. I told the vet he was pooping 5-6x per day and he said too often and probably due to the worms. He's been treated w/ strongid (something similar if thats not the name) and then vet told me to wait 2 days and start him on Heartguard. So I don't know how big of an inpact this is on getting the pup house broke.

He goes straight from the crate to outside often. Like every 1-2 hours, except during the night where he probably gets let out every 3-4 hours. I'm still cleaning piss and crap out of the crate 4-5 X per day. I was using a box to partition half the crate. He finally destroyed that even after turning it, so for the past 2-3 days I have no divider. I need to address that this morning or get a small crate.

I realize its only been 3 weeks. New strategy or just keep giving it time?

*edit about kennel* - its 10x easier to coax him into the kennel w/ out the divider. I can throw food in farther, but i still want to shorten it again to get him confined a bit.
Thanks for help.
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:02 am

Sounds like too much food and water and crate size are the main problems.
1. Get a smaller kennel to start with he should not be going in the kennel at all. The smaller the kennel the less trouble you will have. At that age I used a very small puppy crate and never had an accident and, of course he will grow out of it but he will learn to not mess in the kennel as he grows.
2. Cut his feed back to x2 a day and I would leave to portions the same for now. My pup weighs in at about 75 pounds and he only gets a 1 1/2 cups twice a day. (Not really a pup anymore just turned a year old)
3. Don’t leave water out around the clock, puppies have really small bladders and love to drink but they can hold it a lot longer than you would think. Make sure you give him adequate water but if you don’t monitor it he will drink and piss everywhere as you have found out. His feet should not hit the ground when he comes out of the crate till he is outside and understands the bathroom is outside. I have a bell hanging on the door and I would ring the bell with my pups’ nose and tell him good dog every time I took him out and eventually he began to ring it himself to go out. He did learn how to game it and just wanted to go outside and look around but, a serious bathroom break is usually accompanied by short whimper.
Some the other guys on here might have a little better advice but, these are the things that worked for me I hope it helps. Good luck with your pup he is cute little feller.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:45 pm

Duck Diver wrote:I'm not doing well with the house breaking. Any tips would be in appreciated. I've read the new puppy post here and trying to following it, but adjusted feeding / water a bit. Perhaps my problem.

My breeder told me to feed 3x per day. I've been feeding about 3/4 cup 3x per day. Can i reduce this to twice (larger amounts) with a 10 week pup and see better results? The article also says remove food/water. I've been giving the pup a lot of access to water. I try to make sure he's given ample time after he drinks to pee. Can I seriously only give the pup water 2-3x per day and it be healthy for him? I live in Virginia, its 85-90 already and will get hotter in the next month.

There is no lack of taking this dog out to air. I mean, all hours of the night i'm taking him out. And constantly through out the day myself or someone else is letting him in and out.

I took him to the vet last week for 9 week shots and he had worms. I told the vet he was pooping 5-6x per day and he said too often and probably due to the worms. He's been treated w/ strongid (something similar if thats not the name) and then vet told me to wait 2 days and start him on Heartguard. So I don't know how big of an inpact this is on getting the pup house broke.

He goes straight from the crate to outside often. Like every 1-2 hours, except during the night where he probably gets let out every 3-4 hours. I'm still cleaning piss and crap out of the crate 4-5 X per day. I was using a box to partition half the crate. He finally destroyed that even after turning it, so for the past 2-3 days I have no divider. I need to address that this morning or get a small crate.

I realize its only been 3 weeks. New strategy or just keep giving it time?

*edit about kennel* - its 10x easier to coax him into the kennel w/ out the divider. I can throw food in farther, but i still want to shorten it again to get him confined a bit.
Thanks for help.

I have almost never seen a pup eliminate in the crate unless it had a physical problem, or was forced to by being crated too long, and the only one I saw in that circumstance would take a crate apart as she grew because of the fear of being confined in a mess. That is probably why he destroyed the divider and is reluctant to go into the crate. It sounds like this pup cannot control bladder/bowels, and to confine him in a smaller area is just plain cruel. He isn't just doing this to be a PITA, dogs are very clean creatures and will housebreak themselves if given the chance.

The last thing you should do is restrict water, that can cause a retention cystitis (and he may very well already have it), which will guarantee a worse problem, and can ascend to the kidneys if not treated promptly.. Are his stools firm and formed? I don't know what you are feeding, but you might want to upgrade to a more concentrated food if physical problems are ruled out. Did your vet check for coccidia and giardia? Did he check for cystitis? How was the pup housed by the breeder, and what did she worm him for?

This pup should be in and indoor/outdoor run until you can figure out what the problem is.
The lab and golden think: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; they must be gods."
The Chesapeake thinks: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; I must be a God."
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:53 pm

Well,

I bought a much smaller crate. After 30 or so hours no mess in the crate yet. I have reduced access to water, but I still think he is getting a decent amount. Basically pick his water bowl up after he walks away from it.Still feeding and watering 3x per day. I put it back down if he's been playing hard. Although I would much rather an animal have unlimited amounts of water at will.

@dawnsearlylight

No clue if the vet tested for giardia or coccidia, cystitis. I visit him again in a week, or I could call tomorrow to ask. The pups were supposedly raised in the house. Outside of that I'm not sure what the exact living conditions were like.

For food, I'm feeding Eukenuba Large breed puppy. He still was soft for the first week+(not liquid, but frosty like?), and has slowly gotten better to where I would say its formed now.

New vet, so perhaps I didnt ask for the right tests. He said he hads worms but otherwise healthy. And I left after paying...

I had dogs as a kid, but really not dealt w/ dogs/vets/health issues on my own.

If he wasn't doing a LOT better with the new crate I would be more concerned w/ the issues you raised. I'll give more feed back in a day or two. TY for replies
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:32 pm

Coal is now 11 weeks. He'll be 12 weeks on Friday the 5th. Just got his 3rd set of shots from the vet. Another dose of dewormer.

He is doing better at the crate but certainly not perfect. New crate helped. I believe feeding him in the crate might have helped some. Mostly I am learning to read him better when he's outside the crate, on the porch. A few mistakes but a LOT better.

He is going into the crate very easily now. Although he never rarely goes in unless he hears a treat hit the floor. (just giving him 1 piece of his puppy food). When he's not too excited, he will sit and stay put for as long as I want. I can back up move behind him etc. But if he is excited like in public he completely ignores me.

Teaching him "down" and he will flatten out and lay on his belly, but never to my voice. He has to see my hand touch the floor before he lays himself out in search of the treat. Not sure how to work this out, repetition seems like its just making him wait for the hand to hit the floor before he lays down.

Still haven't taken him to swim yet. Trying to find a spot thats not loaded w/ dogs for fear of parvo etc. Just started doing a little longer retrieves. Here is a video. Any feedback would be welcomed. I'm brand new at this and only hunted over a retriever for the first time last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPzXmTpPWqQ&feature=youtu.be
Duck Diver
hunter

Re: "Coal" - A work in progress @ 11 weeks

Postby OmegaRed » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:34 am

How's Coal doing?
That rug really tied the room together...
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Duck Diver » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:55 pm

Ill get some pics up in the next few days -

He's doing well. The crate training is with only 1 issue in the past week or so and I take fault for that. It's tiresome as he whines at 2am for me to take him out, but he does his business quick and goes back in.

Still a bit hard headed w/ "here". I'm going to spend a lot of time on that this week. I probably moved forward with other obedience before I should have.

The retrieves are short and simple. He likes it, and charges out hard. Needs a tug now and then to return to me and not the bird boy. Usually flares just as he gets to me, so he stays out of reach. He moves so fast its hard for me to keep the rope taught as he charges in.

Walking on a leash is getting better. He was pulling like mad, but trying to fix that. It seems a slow process. I find myself simply stopping and waiting for him to stop pulling. He does and sits w/ the leash tight. As soon as I move he takes off ready to pull again.

I saw a video on heeling where they lured the dog at heal w/ some treats. I've tried this just a few times and it might be helping some w/ the pulling. I see a little improvement, but not a lot. Mostly if I walk at a powerwalk, i can keep him beside me and I praise him for doing so. But if i go at a normal pace he is out in front of me 95% of the time.
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:23 pm

Duck Diver wrote:Ill get some pics up in the next few days -

He's doing well. The crate training is with only 1 issue in the past week or so and I take fault for that. It's tiresome as he whines at 2am for me to take him out, but he does his business quick and goes back in.

My pup is 9 weeks and I haven't woken up 1 time to let her out in the middle of the night. The first night we had her, no accidents. And I figured until she started having trouble I wouldn't bother.
Are you giving treats and/or praise when he goes outside to eliminate? Do you have a word that you say that he associates with going outside? (I say outside)

Still a bit hard headed w/ "here". I'm going to spend a lot of time on that this week. I probably moved forward with other obedience before I should have.

Check cord and praise. Short 5 minute training sessions twice a day - he'll catch on quick.

The retrieves are short and simple. He likes it, and charges out hard. Needs a tug now and then to return to me and not the bird boy. Usually flares just as he gets to me, so he stays out of reach. He moves so fast its hard for me to keep the rope taught as he charges in.

Walking on a leash is getting better. He was pulling like mad, but trying to fix that. It seems a slow process. I find myself simply stopping and waiting for him to stop pulling. He does and sits w/ the leash tight. As soon as I move he takes off ready to pull again.

I saw a video on heeling where they lured the dog at heal w/ some treats. I've tried this just a few times and it might be helping some w/ the pulling. I see a little improvement, but not a lot. Mostly if I walk at a powerwalk, i can keep him beside me and I praise him for doing so. But if i go at a normal pace he is out in front of me 95% of the time.

Don't let them pull, and don't supply constant pressure. Use a light but sharp tug, combined with heel when he comes back to where he needs to be. Then praise and repeat as needed. He'll catch on quick. Don't be afraid to stop, turn, turn around etc. He'll get the picture that he needs to be paying attention to not get closelined.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Duck Diver » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:36 pm

Great tips Omega -

The first few weeks were a disaster with the crate training. I dunno if it was me, the size crate, the worms, or just my dog didnt want to catch on as fast. I vented my frustration on the forums and had several suggestions. I ended up getting a much smaller crate (he ate the divider twice in the larger crate) and almost immediately he started doing better.

But i take this dog out a LOT. I mean, he whines and out I take him. And he goes 95% of the time, I can tell when he's just crying to get out and play. Someone had suggested earlier when I was having trouble the dog could be sick for not holding it long. I dont know, only 1 accident lately, but he's getting let out non stop.

Coal is going to be 14 weeks friday.
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:03 am

Duck Diver wrote:Great tips Omega -

The first few weeks were a disaster with the crate training. I dunno if it was me, the size crate, the worms, or just my dog didnt want to catch on as fast. I vented my frustration on the forums and had several suggestions. I ended up getting a much smaller crate (he ate the divider twice in the larger crate) and almost immediately he started doing better.

But i take this dog out a LOT. I mean, he whines and out I take him. And he goes 95% of the time, I can tell when he's just crying to get out and play. Someone had suggested earlier when I was having trouble the dog could be sick for not holding it long. I dont know, only 1 accident lately, but he's getting let out non stop.

That "someone" would be me. If you think he has to go out too frequently, you are probably right, and that is one of the signs of a physical problem. If that is the case, you have not resolved the fundamental issue, you are merely dealing with the symptoms by letting him out more often. What does your vet say??
The lab and golden think: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; they must be gods."
The Chesapeake thinks: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; I must be a God."
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:21 am

The vet said, oh he has a small bladder as a pup, never tested him and that was that.

I changed dog food, gradually, 5 days @ 75/25 then at 50/50 he got full diarrhea. I put him back to 100% old dog food, stool improved for like a day or so and then 2 more days of diarrhea. I have an appointment at 11:00 today to see if anything is wrong other than the food. Wish i had never changed food, reading too much on the internet. I went from Eukenuba large puppy to Orijen large puppy. Now back in Eukenuba.

That being said despite the diarrhea he only went in the crate once. And there was a miscommunication as to if he had just been let out - i thought he was crying to come out and play. Then last night he pee'd in the cage - I had him out at 10:00 - 11:30 - 3 am and 6am. It's nuts, but each time he comes out and pee's or poops (i know he's not feeling 100% atm)

I'll tell the vet how often i'm taking him out. And report what he says.
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:26 am

Dawnsearlylight wrote:
Duck Diver wrote:Great tips Omega -

That "someone" would be me. If you think he has to go out too frequently, you are probably right, and that is one of the signs of a physical problem. If that is the case, you have not resolved the fundamental issue, you are merely dealing with the symptoms by letting him out more often. What does your vet say??

Could be as simple as a UTI if it's #1 and brand of food if #2. Lot's of puppies have soft stools with certain brands of puppy food. Sometimes a change is needed. If at 14 weeks he seems like he "cant" hold it, then it's possible that he can't.

As far as letting him out all the time, I would also make sure that you aren't letting him out everytime he cries. It's hard on this one to give over the internet. You don't want the dog to realize that when he cries, he gets out of the crate. That being said, you also don't want to have to constantly clean up his kennel. I like to make sure that they are in the crate at times when we are in the house doing normal things (doing dishes, cleaning up, watching tv, going in and out of the house). That way it's not a set pattern of when I get put in the crate, master leaves. Then when you have time to dedicate 100% attention to him (should be at least 10 minutes for every few hrs crate time) you can take them out, make sure they eliminate and then play inside. That way you are curbing your chances of them going in the house, they are still getting play time and also realizing that we don't do business in the house.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:49 am

Duck Diver wrote:The vet said, oh he has a small bladder as a pup, never tested him and that was that.

I changed dog food, gradually, 5 days @ 75/25 then at 50/50 he got full diarrhea. I put him back to 100% old dog food, stool improved for like a day or so and then 2 more days of diarrhea. I have an appointment at 11:00 today to see if anything is wrong other than the food. Wish i had never changed food, reading too much on the internet. I went from Eukenuba large puppy to Orijen large puppy. Now back in Eukenuba.

That being said despite the diarrhea he only went in the crate once. And there was a miscommunication as to if he had just been let out - i thought he was crying to come out and play. Then last night he pee'd in the cage - I had him out at 10:00 - 11:30 - 3 am and 6am. It's nuts, but each time he comes out and pee's or poops (i know he's not feeling 100% atm)

Yeah, well, they all have small bladders as pups, but it should grow just like the rest of him. You say he is not 100%, have you temped him?? Did you ever find out what kind of worms he has, and has he been checked and dewormed if necessary since the first time? Is it possible he is indulging in a "dietary indiscretion"? If not take a stool sample and find out if the vet is checking it for giardia and coccidia as well as worms. I would also get a urine sample; no disrespect to OmegaRed, but I have dealt with plenty of UTI's in pups which do not have free access to outside (such as an indoor-outdoor run)and develop retention cystitis , and there is nothing "simple" about a UTI if it goes untreated and the infection ascends to the kidneys. By your own admission you are concerned that this is not normal and the pup is not up to par, you need to get proactive in eliminating physical problems before you start treating this as a behavioral issue. JMHO
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:26 am

Dawnsearlylight wrote:
Duck Diver wrote:The vet said, oh he has a small bladder as a pup, never tested him and that was that.

Yeah, well, they all have small bladders as pups, but it should grow just like the rest of him. You say he is not 100%, have you temped him?? Did you ever find out what kind of worms he has, and has he been checked and dewormed if necessary since the first time? Is it possible he is indulging in a "dietary indiscretion"? If not take a stool sample and find out if the vet is checking it for giardia and coccidia as well as worms. I would also get a urine sample; no disrespect to OmegaRed, but I have dealt with plenty of UTI's in pups which do not have free access to outside (such as an indoor-outdoor run)and develop retention cystitis , and there is nothing "simple" about a UTI if it goes untreated and the infection ascends to the kidneys. By your own admission you are concerned that this is not normal and the pup is not up to par, you need to get proactive in eliminating physical problems before you start treating this as a behavioral issue. JMHO

None taken. I just meant a urinalysis is cheap and so is treatment if necessary. Antibiotics and a few weeks time.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Duck Diver » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:31 pm

So i got back from the vet.

His stool was so bad this morning i didnt collect any. In hind sight I probably should have just brought in the liquid poo the best I could.

Anyway, he was "empty" they said and tried twice to get a sample. the 2nd time he had a small amount to smudge and checked for whatever he checks for. Honostly - I dont know what he looks at under the microscope. I have to assume I'm taking my dog to a vet and he's doing his job.

So he says he can't see anything, but I told him all about the food change, and that I had had him to a pond near my house. He asked if around any birds. I did have him w/ a pigeon but that was like 1-2 days ago.

So...He has me fasting the dog. he gave me some (sold) bland canned dog food. I'm to give small portions, handfuls, every 3-4 hours for 2 days. (after 24h fast) I have some powder stuff to mix into it thats supposed to help w/ settling of the stomach. He gave me a pill that treats giardia, but also said its can counter some other problems, although not as well. After the can food, i'm to start him back on the original dog food.

He gave me a syringe to bring a sample if he still has diarrhea on friday. The worms he had were round worms. He didnt rule out the cause of this diarrhea but he didnt feel strong that it was the issue because the pup didnt have diarrhea the first few weeks he had worms.

That should fix this weeks diarrhea problem I hope. As to if the pup has some infection or something we are missing thats causing him to go to the bathroom 3x per night I dont know.

I have a shot appointment for the 24th. And like I said I go in friday if he's still got diarrhea.

I can feed and water and love the dog. Even take him to the vet, but I didnt go to vet school - so i'm just rolling w/ what i'm told.

If i think he still is going too often I'll ask for a urine test on the 24th when i go in.
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:02 pm

DD, thank you for the update, I've been wondering how you made out. You don't have to assume the vet is doing his job, there are incompetent vets just like there in any profession. Don't ever be afraid to ask questions (like what he is seeing in the stool sample). There is no such thing as a dumb question when it comes to your pup's health, you are the only advocate he has.

If the vet asked about being around birds, he was probably thinking salmonella or coccidia, guardia could come from the pond. Roundworms should not cause the problems he is having, I have seen pups with such a high roundworm load they were vomiting them, but still had decent stools. I assume the vet temped him, did he show you how to check for dehydration (which is always a concern with diarrhea), and tell you to always have water accessible, including in the crate? Does Coal seem to him to be growing normally?

If he still seems to be urinating too often, I would get a sample in now. Keep us posted, hope the munchkin gets squared away soon, if only so you can get a good night's sleep!
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:42 pm

Intro to water video. Mostly i've just had him in a kiddie pool and 1 time on the edge of a pond, but it dropped off fast so I didnt let him go out.

He finally went for a short swim just after I stopped filming this. He tried to breath underwater and quickly came out. He seems to like it, i'll go back again soon.

http://youtu.be/iyXxNwetedw
Duck Diver
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum