"Coal" - A work in progress @ 19 weeks

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Re: "Coal" - A work in progress @ 15 weeks

Postby tenfingergrip » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:41 pm

Outcome of Coal's vet visit on the 24th? Better? Diagnosis?
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:43 pm

Stool was solid/formed. Finished the meds. I'm thinking it was the change of food though.

Gave a urine sample, said everything was good. Fecal was clear, so finally rid of the worms.

Got a couple vaccines and went on our way.

Not sure what to think - He's not going in his cage, but he gets let out often.
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:49 am

Duck Diver wrote:Stool was solid/formed. Finished the meds. I'm thinking it was the change of food though.

Gave a urine sample, said everything was good. Fecal was clear, so finally rid of the worms.

Got a couple vaccines and went on our way.

Not sure what to think - He's not going in his cage, but he gets let out often.

Good news.
I just pooped my pants.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Duck Diver » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:49 pm

http://youtu.be/mBDubiF587s

16 weeks, learning his way around the water!

Fun stuff for me, looks like the pup likes it too -
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby Yukon Cornelius » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:24 pm

DD,
Thanks for creating this online "diary" of your experiences with your pup. I've got a chocolate male that's a couple weeks younger and it's comforting to read that someone else is having some of the same issues with their pup that I'm having with mine. Like you, this is my first gun dog and it's encouraging to know that some of his behavior is common to his age and not something to get overly concerned about. Please keep the updates/pictures/videos coming.
Yukon Cornelius
Newb

Postby Duck Diver » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:51 am

YC,

Glad you are enjoying the posts!

My little devil remains extremely full of energy. Loves to bring in sticks and chew them despite having about 20 chew toys. 99% crate trained at this point. Any accidents I get could have been prevented by being more aware as an owner, imo. Fights going into his crate a bit still. For a while I had it mostly worked out, but too often I get him to go in and shut the door. I need more time where I treat him in and let him come in and out w/ out closing him up.

Exercise - The past few days he's had some solid exercise periods. It's really pooped him out and he slept for 3/4 of the day after being at the dog park for 45 minutes. Was him, 2 labordoodles and a corgi. He got to jump, fight, chase etc for 45 minutes. Seems to be doing a lot better around other dogs now. As much as I like the dog park for socializing, I wont be going back anytime soon. He's off leash and ignores me more (tons of distractions and smells) And its directly across the field i've been using to train. The training session after he played there a day prior, i had rotated my stickman and they had backs to the fenced dog park. He was distracted the whole time and it wasn't his best session.

He still comes totally unglued near small children. About ages 2-8. They want to pet him, or he wants to go to them and he pulls so hard on his leash and tries to jump/scratch that I have to hold him around the chest to restrain him. Not sure how to get him to calm down on this, perhaps with age. Perhaps I need a nice 6 year old kid that wants to be a chew toy for a few hours -lol.

Question for the experienced:

On land retrieves now and then he does a slow approach to the bumper. Doesnt really give up, but almost stalks it. First time I thought he couldnt see the bumper. Then I thought too far (had a few at 40 yards). But yesterday, we tossed some 15-20 yards, first 2 bumpers he charges so hard he falls over trying to pick them up. The 3rd he ran out 10 feet and then started to move super slow toward the bumper. I encouraged w/ some yelling/excitement and he picked up the pace. This 3rd bumper was thrown close to a tree line, but not in it. It was on short grass and very visible and close range.

Why does he do this? Is this lack of drive? Too much training? Something else?
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby rinkor16 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:28 pm

Duck Diver wrote:Question for the experienced:

On land retrieves now and then he does a slow approach to the bumper. Doesnt really give up, but almost stalks it. First time I thought he couldnt see the bumper. Then I thought too far (had a few at 40 yards). But yesterday, we tossed some 15-20 yards, first 2 bumpers he charges so hard he falls over trying to pick them up. The 3rd he ran out 10 feet and then started to move super slow toward the bumper. I encouraged w/ some yelling/excitement and he picked up the pace. This 3rd bumper was thrown close to a tree line, but not in it. It was on short grass and very visible and close range.

Why does he do this? Is this lack of drive? Too much training? Something else?
My pup used to do the same thing. She would slowly approach the bumper and pounce on it. Just her being a puppy.

She doesn't do that anymore though.
rinkor16
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:34 pm

sounds like you could make a pointing lab out of coal :thumbsup:
could be a puppy thing but I think its not a bad thing at all the slow down and look approach, if it stays with him it will be interesting to hear how he goes on the likes of quail or hard sitting ducks that dont get up till the last possible moment, it would be easy to "read" coal if he always does the "slow down" thing when on red hot scent tells you to" get ready boss a shot may be needed"
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Dog Forum