Duck Hunting Forum banner

I finally found her!!!

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Duck_Popper 
#1 ·
After a lot of searching I found my pup. I went through months of trying to find a started dog and that didn't go well. Ended up finding a started dog and after 5 days I had to return him. Then I played the "sad kid who got his ball taken on the basketball court" to the wife and got her to agree to getting a puppy. So I searched and searched and searched for the right litter. Finally, I was referred by a member here on DHC to Nera, the President of Sac River Hunting Retriever Club. She was so kind, helpful, and informative. In the end I wanted a female, so she referred me to Ken Mayte, the secretary of Sac River HRC. We kept in contact over the last week or so and I decided to pack up the wife and kid to make the 3 hour trip to Redding tonight. I spent almost an hour at Kens home, played with the 8 puppies, talked about hunting, he weighed the pups, showed us all the paperwork, even did some drills with his girl "Halle", and we finally came to a decision.

She is 4 weeks and 4 days old. I introduce to DHC "Teal". She is a gorgeous female and wouldn't leave us alone. Her father is Lance from Top Dog Retrievers. Her mother is "Halle" and a great hunter and dock dog. (17.6 is her longest jump I believe) Teal was the biggest girl at 7.4 with a lot of playful personality. All the pups were sleeping and she was jumping around on them trying to play.

I am excited to start the journey of training my first pup. I have a great support team from a trainer to great people of Sac River HRC. If anyone would like more info he has not advertised them yet but I can't tell you how beautiful the entire litter is.

The countdown begins to pickup.

See less See more
#5 ·
Well here she is!!

"Teal" is 10 weeks 4 days today. The gentlemen who we bought her from, whom has also became a friend, was kind enough to keep her a little longer for us. We had a busy last few weeks with prior commitments.

Yesterday she got her second set of shots and weight in at 22.8 lbs.

She is just in time for my ladies birthday. It will be a long road but I will be documenting my every journey, showing pictures, posting videos, and asking for some help.

I have taken the advice of many and joined the HRC in my area and have purchased the training program I wish to follow, which was also suggested to me by a DHC and fellow HRC member.

Let the good times roll.

Can't explain how happy and excited I am.

#6 ·
sweet puppy!

I got mine at 1yr old from the breeder, that got returned, so I missed the whole puppy stage.....somewhat LOL

how much weightdid it gain in 6 weeks? cause u said 22lbs, and my black lab remi will b 2yrs old in a week and she is only 47lbs, and we feed her origin and just over 3 cups a day and treats, but her mother and father were 60lbs and her brother from another father is about 60 too.

I love the pic's and I will b a lab person forever!!!!

#8 ·
Hey we should run our dogs together this year. This is going to be owen's first year @ 10 months old. :grooving:

#10 ·
wanapasaki said:
Hey we should run our dogs together this year. This is going to be owen's first year @ 10 months old. :grooving:
Great looking pup. I think mine will be a little young this year. I will see what the trainer thinks. She is going to gun intro middle of October while I go to cabo. She will be 4 months old. Maybe January I can get her out. Would love to run our dogs if you are in the area.

#11 ·
First training question:

Everything I have read and what my trainer has told me, put a leash or lead on the pup anytime they are out of the crate to get him or her used to it. Well how many leads and leashes do I have to go through until she learns it is not a toy? I have told her no. I have snapped it out of her mouth. It's like she knows but just looks at us like "yea right" and goes right back to doing it. I have learned my lesson by not by another $34 lead from sportsmans, just buy the cheap leashes for now

Any help would be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.