HOW COLD IS TOO COLD FOR YOU?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

HOW COLD IS TOO COLD FOR YOU?

Postby TWO GSPS » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:03 am

I AM NEW TO HUNTING WATERFOWL AND AM USING A GERMAN SHORTHAIRED POINTER. ARE ANY OF YOU GUYS HUNTING WITH THIS BREED OF DOG? IF SO HOW COLD IS TOO COLD IN YOUR OPINION? I LIVE IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA SO IT NEXT TO NEVER FREEZES LOCALLY BUT THE LOWS GET INTO THE 30'S. I JUST BOUGHT A 5MM NEOPRENE CABELAS DOG VEST AND WAS THINKING IF HE WORE THAT AND I DRIED HIM OFF WITH A TOWEL AFTER RETRIEVES HE'D BE ALRIGHT. I HAVE LEFT HIM AT HOME FRO THE LAST HUNT I WENT ON AND HE KNOWS I WENT. MY WIFE SAID HE WHINED AT THE DOOR FOR HOURS AFTER I LEFT HE WANTS TO GO SO BAD.WHAT ARE YOUR 2 CENTS?
TWO GSPS
hunter

Postby O_E_J » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:16 am

This too is my first year so I do not know how cold too cold is yet but I am sure my lab will tell me when it is too cold. At that point however she can have teh option of staying home or bucking up to the weather. So for me cold is not an issue, in fact I prefer the cold. Listen to your dog it will tell you when too cold is too cold. Take him to the park during the week early in the morning and see how he does that could tell you alot and in a more controlled environment.
OEJ
O_E_J
hunter

Postby TWO GSPS » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:35 am

OEJ
THANKS FOR THE ADVISE. I'M USING THE SAME METHOD YOU ARE BUT IF I KNOW IN ADVANCE THAT IT'S DEFINATELY TOO COLD THEN I'LL HAVE TO LEAVE HM AT HOME. I DO HAVE AN INSULATED KENNEL TO PUT HIM IF I HAVE TO SO ITS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD IF HE CAN'T STAY OUT.
TWO GSPS
hunter

Postby donell67 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:09 am

gsps you should not have any problem taking that dog out in those temps. specially with a jacket. i had a half shorthair half lab out in 25 below zero with the wind chill. he had a jacket on and had no problems. labs can handle colder weather than shorthairs. but you shouldnt have a problem.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby TWO GSPS » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:34 pm

DONELL67
I THINK WHERE I LIVE I CAN SAY IT WILL NEVER GET THAT COLD. THE COLDEST I'M TALKING ABOUT WOULD PROBABLY BE IN THE 20'S IF THAT!
TWO GSPS
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:38 pm

I'll second the advice on watching your dog. Every dog is different. Another thing is the action. If the action is fast paced then the dog is alot more likely to keep his mind off the cold, just like you probably.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby O_E_J » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:13 pm

In addition to keeping him busy that will also increase his body temps so he will be warmer. Keep in mind with it being colder and him working you will need to take breaks for food and water. Food is very very important. I will feed mine almost twice as much on hunting days just so she keeps on top of things, remember these are athelets and they need the higher card and protiens and sugars. I have also read that there are"power bars" for dogs specifically for field and high energy use. Bottom line is watch your dog you will know what he can and can not handle.
OEJ
O_E_J
hunter

Postby tome » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:19 pm

I'am on my 3rd GS. all lived to old age.These dogs wll do anything you ask of them..cold water or not.I care to much for the dog to watch it shiver from a cold water. they don't have a 2nd layer coat lile a lab. after teal thats it...the good news is..if they wine when they know you're hunting & their not...strong desire to hunt..a good thing.all mine have been house dogs..this breed..the more there with you the better they hunt for you....Good Luck
tome
hunter

Postby TWO GSPS » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:46 am

THE WEATHER IS WARMING UP TO THE 40'S AGAIN SO I GUESS THE OLD BOY'S LUCK HASN'T RUN OUT YET. THANKS FOR THE REPLYS
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY DOG.
TWO GSPS
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:42 pm

O_E_J
I have hear good things about those Purina Power Bars for dogs. I haven't tried them yet, but from what I have heard they serve their purpose.
gsphunter
hunter

Dogs and the cold

Postby Dep666 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:04 am

Using common sense is a biggie regarding dogs and the cold. My biggest time to hunt is the Split season in western NY(12/27 -01/11). I exclusively hunt the Niagara river. The water is barely over the freezing mark and the current to about 6mph. When my dog starts to really shiver , I turn on the heaters in the blind and in a matter of minutes he's all dry and ready to go. Those neoprene vests are the ticket. they keep is torso and vital organs worm and dry. If I get a day that is really cold then I periodiaclly take him for a walk,bring him to the truck for a warm up , or run him to get the circulation going.
Last year we had a day that was terrible. 30-35 mph winds, snow and about 5 degrees with the wind chill. Canvasbacks,Redheads,Bluebills and Goldeneyes were just pouring into our set. The dog worked his butt off, but when he got too cold I left the blind and made sure I warmed him up. My buddies say I might baby the dog too much. All I tell them is that he's not a tool , he's a member of my family and I'm not going to jeopardize his health just for a few ducks.
Good luck
Matt
Dep666
hunter

Postby mfetter » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:16 pm

I hunt my gsp in all weather. I bought a versatile dog because I am versatile. Again watch the dog when my dogs teeth start to chatter I either take him for a walk or call it quits. My gsp will not eat when I have camo on or he knows we are going hunting so I take a big spoon full of peanut butter and scrape it in his mouth. It was about 18 this morning and I think I was colder than he was and he had already made a few retrieves by sun up.

:thumbsup:
mfetter
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:28 pm

Matt you have some very sage advice there for all dogs when hunting :thumbsup:

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby mfetter » Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:55 pm

Thanks Admin I appreciate the compliment :smile:
mfetter
hunter

Postby TWO GSPS » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:04 pm

I BOUGHT THE 5MM DOG VEST FOR MY DOG AND HE STILL GETS COLD. HIS TEETH CHATTER WHEN WE ARE WAITING FOR LONG PERIODS BUT WHEN IT'S TIME TO RETRIEVE ALL'S FORGOTTEN CONCERNING THE COLD. WHAT ARE SIGNS OF HYPOTHERMIA FOR DOGS ANYWAY?
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HUNT WITH AN UGLY DOG.
TWO GSPS
hunter

Postby mfetter » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:55 am

Same as humans--excess shivering, confusion, slow reactions ect.....
mfetter
hunter

Postby zx2dxz » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:08 pm

gsp get cold real fast, thats the only downfall of them. but here is a site about hypo http://petplace.netscape.com/articles/artShow.asp?artID=1116
zx2dxz
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum