Sending my pup off...

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Sending my pup off...

Postby rinkor16 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:58 pm

When I bought my pup, Avery, back in February, I never thought that I would end up sending her off to get professionally trained. I'm dropping her off on August 15th for 3 months, possibly 4. This is a pretty big investment for me and I'm very excited to see the results. Just want to say thank you for all the advice you guys have given me to help me get to this point. As a first time trainer, you guys have definitely been helpful... Especially when I have had dumb questions :lol3:

One last question though. Should I start hold? Or let the pro do it?

I'm also going to use this thread to update my pups progress with FF and CCing and all her progress after that.
Attachments
photo.JPG
rinkor16
hunter

Re: Sending my pup off...

Postby i_willie12 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:25 pm

let the pro do it thats what they are for!!!! Easy for us to start from ground zero than try and fix mistakes good intending owners have done to the dog.... Especially Hold and FF and Ecollar intro
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Rutin » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:31 pm

You wont regret it... I was torn on the same decision a few months back and will be getting my pup back the first week of Aug. Missed him like h3ll the first few weeks but now its going to feel different having him back. Let the trainer do his job, and if you picked a good one you will be very pleased.
Sargent Taylor's Hevi-Shot (Sarge)
Rutin
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:15 am

The only thing I would suggest is spend as much time as you can with the trainer watching how he trains your dog. The more you understand how the dog was trained the better you'll be able to run him on your own. In my own case the more I learn, the better my dog gets.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby rinkor16 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:23 pm

ibedamn wrote:The only thing I would suggest is spend as much time as you can with the trainer watching how he trains your dog. The more you understand how the dog was trained the better you'll be able to run him on your own. In my own case the more I learn, the better my dog gets.
It's a 2 hour drive to the trainer. I plan on making the trip every few weeks.
rinkor16
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:46 pm

And miss an entire hunting season with your dog? Just not for me, but good luck. Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby rinkor16 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:02 pm

Duckdon wrote:And miss an entire hunting season with your dog? Just not for me, but good luck. Don
I'll have her back in November, which still leaves 2 months of duck season.
rinkor16
hunter

Postby iamlegend » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:05 pm

What trainer did you decide on if you don't mind me asking?
iamlegend
hunter

Postby rinkor16 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:06 pm

iamlegend wrote:What trainer did you decide on if you don't mind me asking?
I chose to go with Dennis Hayre out in Lodi. He was recommended to me by quite a few people.
rinkor16
hunter

Postby rinkor16 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:59 pm

I dropped Avery off this morning. Talked with Dennis for a bit. He had me throw some marks in the pond to watch her. I was a little nervous because I figured she would be too distracted. As soon as the bumper hit the water she took off after it. I'm definitely excited to see where she'll be in 3 months.

Watching her stand there behind a fence while I was backing up was a little heartbreaking. :sad:

I'll be back soon though.
rinkor16
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:43 pm

Yeah, its a sad day dropping them off. I just had to keep tellin myself she will be hunting every single day having the time of her life. She will be having too much fun to miss you.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:17 pm

B.E.Nelli wrote:Yeah, its a sad day dropping them off. I just had to keep tellin myself she will be hunting every single day having the time of her life. She will be having too much fun to miss you.

its hard but in the long run you and avery will be able to work as a team once you get her back, but once the trainer says its ok to come up and see avery work with the trainer as much as you can and learn everything you can from the trainer watch him run younger and older dogs and again ask as many questions as you can when you are there.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby DkKiller » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:34 pm

krazybronco2 wrote:
B.E.Nelli wrote:Yeah, its a sad day dropping them off. I just had to keep tellin myself she will be hunting every single day having the time of her life. She will be having too much fun to miss you.

its hard but in the long run you and avery will be able to work as a team once you get her back, but once the trainer says its ok to come up and see avery work with the trainer as much as you can and learn everything you can from the trainer watch him run younger and older dogs and again ask as many questions as you can when you are there.

Yep.

Always an exciting day when the pup goes off to school for sure. :thumbsup:
Definately work with your trainer hopefully you handle your dog at some point and he can train you as well. getting a couple days out with other dogs and handling other pups is great training for you. You get to see all sorts of levels and different tendencies. At first it's WAY over the top but eventualy it begins to sink in. good luck with your pup!
DkKiller
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:40 pm

also before long you will be looking for any info you can find to make your pup the best you can do and don't be afraid to call the trainer if you run into a road block he will know your pup better than anyone here and can most likely help you through anything you run into.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby rinkor16 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am

I went to see my pup yesterday.

Dennis (the trainer) has been working on basic obedience, working her on the e-collar and started hold and fetch. First thing he says to me is, "She's very high energy and not a lot of focus". I just laughed. Definitely sounds like the head ache I've been dealing with. He showed me his process for doing fetch and hold. He was telling me that her pain tolerance is extremely high and he has to put her ear on the buckle of the e-collar to get her to react to the pressure. It was definitely nice to watch him work on fetch and hold. I'm very glad I'm not doing it. She's incredibly stubborn.

He said he's very pleased with how birdy she gets. He also said she has a hard time focusing on returning the bumper because she's so easily distracted. But when it comes to birds, she's very focused on it.

I'm going to return next week to do some training with her and then every 2 weeks from there on out.

By the way, she's massive. Dennis brought out another pup that was a 2 year old female and my dog is significantly larger.
Attachments
Avery.jpg
rinkor16
hunter

Postby QuackkAddictsTX » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:04 am

Going to be a nice dog! I sent my chesapeake bay out to a trainer in June of this year and I couldn't be happier with what the trainer has done as opposed to what I could do. She comes back two weeks before duck season starts so I couldn't be any more excited!
Attachments
image.jpg
When times are tough and flocks are small, just take your time and kill them all.
QuackkAddictsTX
hunter

Postby Pipemaster » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:19 am

OP,

I too have my 7 month old Pup in with Dennis. She is probably a week or so behind your dog. Similar response from Dennis in regards to attitude. "Very birdy but stubborn." I have visited her three times and it seems as if she is slowly progressing. It's nice to have a "here" command work. I am picking her up tomorrow for a scheduled vet appointment Saturday and am anxious to see if her progress has picked up.
Attachments
image.jpg
Pipemaster
Newb

Postby rinkor16 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:46 am

So it's been almost 2 months for my pup and she's moving slowly. She's very resistant to give in. The basic obedience is great, but the force fetching is moving very slow. Dennis said he's definitely being taught to be patient with her :lol3:

rinkor16
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:21 pm

rinkor16 wrote:So it's been almost 2 months for my pup and she's moving slowly. She's very resistant to give in.
but the force fetching is moving very slow. Dennis said he's definitely being taught to be patient with her :lol3:

That is the hardest thing to tell clients is guessing how long this process takes!!! Every dog is different Some pick up FF in 5 days some take a dang month! :mad: I always tell clients lets assume your dog learns slow... That way if we get done early great!
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby rinkor16 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:51 pm

So it's been over 3 months and I visited last Saturday. Finally some major progress! She still acted very stubborn with the bumper and decided to take the pressure almost every time. When he brought the bird out though, there was no need for pressure. She was all over it.

Going to be picking her up the 11th for a mid day hunt. It will be my first time taking her out. Hopefully we'll get on some birds.

By the way, I tried to order a Tri tronics Classic 70 G3 Exp from Cabelas (it's on sale)... Apparently I can't have it shipped to California because the battery and charger isn't efficient enough to meet California standards.
rinkor16
hunter

Postby gunshow » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:07 am

I'm so close to committing to sending my pup away but like you I'm having second thoughts due to cost and time away.
I can afford it but it's not cheap and I fear that 4 months away would not be good for our relationship at such a young age.
I've had her for 6 weeks and she's 3 1/2 months old.
She would leave for Texas (from MN) just after Christmas and I'm afraid she wouldn't remember us when she got back. Is there a valid fear of re-acclimating a dog back into a family after being away that long? I won't be able to go to Texas during her training either. Also, is that too young to send? How old was your pup when you sent him?

I have to decide soon as the trainer is holding his last spot for me.
gunshow
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:18 am

Dude, she will remember you don't worry. It will hurt your heart way more than hers!
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby gunshow » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:10 am

B.E.Nelli wrote:Dude, she will remember you don't worry. It will hurt your heart way more than hers!

Right :crying:

Any update OP?
gunshow
hunter

Postby rinkor16 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:14 am

So Avery's first hunt went great! I ended up with 4 birds and my brother with 5. Mostly spoons, but a few widgeon and teal as well.

She was too excited and I couldn't get her to sit still long enough for a picture.
Attachments
Avery.jpg
rinkor16
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:37 am

gunshow wrote:I'm so close to committing to sending my pup away but like you I'm having second thoughts due to cost and time away.
I can afford it but it's not cheap and I fear that 4 months away would not be good for our relationship at such a young age.
I've had her for 6 weeks and she's 3 1/2 months old.
She would leave for Texas (from MN) just after Christmas and I'm afraid she wouldn't remember us when she got back. Is there a valid fear of re-acclimating a dog back into a family after being away that long? I won't be able to go to Texas during her training either. Also, is that too young to send? How old was your pup when you sent him?

I have to decide soon as the trainer is holding his last spot for me.

You want to send her to a trainer @ 3.5 months?! Let her be a puppy. Wait till she is about 10 months or so..
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum