Self Trained Pics and Stories

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Self Trained Pics and Stories

Postby gsimmons2 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:56 pm

I am an amatuer trainer, and im doing it all on my own, i will post some pics tomorrow, but so far, my dogs name is moose, hes a yellow lab, and hes 7 months old, i plan on starting FF within the next few weeks. I just want to hear other stories of self trained pups and even partly self trained, feel free to share any pics also. thanks!
gsimmons2
hunter

Re: Self Trained Pics and Stories

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:33 am

Here's a pic of the very first dog I ever "train-ed":

:yes:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby sharris » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:59 am

For my first FF attempt I ended up hiring a professional trainer to help. I paid for 1 hour private training sessions every Sat. morning for a month and then did my "homework" with my dog during the week. The trainer basically trained me to train my dog. The only two real issues I ran into that the trainer promptly corrected was the dog's collar was not on tight enough so I didn't have enough control of her head/ear and I was not using the right amount of pressure to get a quick response. It saved a ton of money and gave me the satisfaction of doing it myself. I am active in my HRC group which has also helped with questions/issues I have run into. The biggest piece of advice I can give you is get help when you need it (either via a HRC or trainer); it will save a lot of time and frustration. FF was a relatively easy process for me to go through because I have an easy dog and I didn't screw it up along the way.
HR Annie Git Your Gun
Bird Retrieves for 2014-15 Season
Duck: 20
Dove: 4
sharris
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:06 am

swampbilly 1980 wrote:Here's a pic of the very first dog I ever "train-ed":

:yes:

I dont get it, I thought all of your dogs are like that? :huh:
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:13 am

quacknstack6 wrote:I dont get it, I thought all of your dogs are like that? :huh:

You could've stopped the sentence when you typed:

"I thought" :wink:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:46 am

i sent mine off for 4.5 months to get FF and CC and to see alot of marks. she did great through all the training with Danny was doing pretty simple doubles even a few taught triples and had started 3 handed casting and things like that. when i got her back in april we went back and worked alittle on casting them moved into the 3 handed casting. then she came into heat and that stopped alot of our training because the next part was coming into the single t and alot of pressure was going to be applied so we stopped so after coming out of heat we started over and have worked our way up to disiplined casting and some lining drills. also bought some wingers to get her training balanced out so now we do some drills one day weither it be lining drills and some walking baseball (same day and kinda back to back but in different places) or disiplined casting then the next day will do some marks normally singles right now or a shorter double with the winger as the memory and a hand thrown mark as the go bird.

also normally sat and sunday she will get both marks and dirlls since i have the day off and we still meet with danny on sat mornings for the marks and then drills in the afternoon and on sunday drills early when it is cool and some marks in the afternoon.

i will say if you train alone quite a bit try and find someone that can throw some birds for you every other day or at least 3 times a week. since i have done this the last week and a half my dogs additude for running drills has become alot better and seems like she is learning alot faster as well. also changing the drills up a little bit has helped so like running a couple of sessions of single t then the next session do a WW drill (lining drill) then the next couple of sessions run the single t again. this introduces new things and keeps the dog from getting so bogged down running the same drill day in and day out and makes training alot more fun for you and most importantly the dog.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:50 am

swampbilly 1980 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:I dont get it, I thought all of your dogs are like that? :huh:

That really hurt, no more dog forum for me. I thought you guys had changed. :crying:
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:55 am

quacknstack6 wrote:
swampbilly 1980 wrote:

That really hurt, no more dog forum for me. I thought you guys had changed. :crying:

Yeah-
It's really bad here.
A lot different than your last 15 pages of "DHC almost has 3 million posts" ain't it? :wink: :hi:
:beer:
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby quacknstack6 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:10 pm

swampbilly 1980 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:
swampbilly 1980 wrote:

Yeah-
It's really bad here.
A lot different than your last 15 pages of "DHC almost has 3 million posts" ain't it? :wink: :hi:

:lol3: I havent been able to train for the past year, Labman has been doing that for me. Being overseas puts a damper on training pretty quick. I still checked in on yall to make sure no one got hurt or needed a hurt feelings report. It seems to me that Crash needed one yesterday and I lost my form. You guys are ruthless though, a guy cant even mix a lab and chessie without being ostracized :lol3:. I will start posting here more often because I am sure dog questions will start to arise very soon.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:03 pm

Really? I was gonna post a cockapoodlerott mix thread. I am working on a new breed and figured the folks here would love to help me pick the bloodlines. The dog will be able to kill burglers, retrieve birds and be amped up like a 12 year old on Watermelon drank. It will be cute and fluffy with Rott coloring.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:06 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:Really? I was gonna post a cockapoodlerott mix thread. I am working on a new breed and figured the folks here would love to help me pick the bloodlines. The dog will be able to kill burglers, retrieve birds and be amped up like a 12 year old on Watermelon drank. It will be cute and fluffy with Rott coloring.

Well the question is Scaup-
Will the dog chew a far left liberals' ankles off, up to his knee caps,..if not-
It's a useless irresponsible breeding :yes:
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:45 am

quacknstack6 wrote:
swampbilly 1980 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:
swampbilly 1980 wrote:

Yeah-
It's really bad here.

:lol3: I havent been able to train for the past year, Labman has been doing that for me. Being overseas puts a damper on training pretty quick. I still checked in on yall to make sure no one got hurt or needed a hurt feelings report. It seems to me that Crash needed one yesterday and I lost my form. You guys are ruthless though, a guy cant even mix a lab and chessie without being ostracized :lol3:. I will start posting here more often because I am sure dog questions will start to arise very soon.

I can promise ya' it's just not this forum that'll shoot flack about "backyard breedings" , it's every forum at least, I've seen thus far, that's got any teeth to it :yes:

Youre working w/Labman-
You've got a good man :thumbsup:
Have a good one.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Duck Diver » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:56 am

Field trial amateur status? (not hijacking, referring to 2nd or 3rd post on this thread)

When you get help from pro, like hourly does this remove your status? I dont know much about FT, or will probably never pursue it...but i like to know these things.
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:11 am

Duck Diver wrote:Field trial amateur status? (not hijacking, referring to 2nd or 3rd post on this thread)

When you get help from pro, like hourly does this remove your status? I dont know much about FT, or will probably never pursue it...but i like to know these things.

Amateurs can run in Open or Amateur, pros only in Open (qual or derby as well). Because of this, the AFC title requires more points than does the FC title. It's the Stake you are running in and not who trains or trained the dog. ie the "handler" of the dog, not who trains.

In AKC hunt tests, all are considered the same, pro or am, because the dogs are judged against a standard, not other dogs.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Coffey » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:28 am

With my chessie I did all of my own training. I started with the walter books same as you but when I was ready to move to FF and collar conditioning and more advanced training I bought the Lardy videos. they are expensive but worth every penny. I also joined a local HRC club. I train with them sometimes but not really interested in doing the hunt tests. I did not have any problems at all with FF. I taught HOLD very early and that really helped a lot.
Coffey
hunter

Postby sharris » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:37 am

tenfingergrip wrote:
Duck Diver wrote:Field trial amateur status? (not hijacking, referring to 2nd or 3rd post on this thread)

Amateurs can run in Open or Amateur, pros only in Open (qual or derby as well). Because of this, the AFC title requires more points than does the FC title. It's the Stake you are running in and not who trains or trained the dog. ie the "handler" of the dog, not who trains.

In AKC hunt tests, all are considered the same, pro or am, because the dogs are judged against a standard, not other dogs.

Thanks for answering the question. I never thought about it, but I am not running field trials either. I spayed my girl and just run hunt tests for fun and to keep me actively training in the off season so I have a good duck dog ready to work in the fall.
HR Annie Git Your Gun
Bird Retrieves for 2014-15 Season
Duck: 20
Dove: 4
sharris
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:01 pm

I do all my own training and handling.

If you're a student of the game and work hard you can be successful. Or at least I've heard :lol3:
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:56 am

CatSquirrel wrote:I do all my own training and handling.

If you're a student of the game and work hard you can be successful. Or at least I've heard :lol3:

haha i will confirm or disprove your theory after this coming HT season is over.
krazybronco2
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum