Training Age

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Training Age

Postby dldavis3 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:49 pm

I have a lab pup who is 3 months old. I was wondering when the best time to start getting him in the water after a scented dummy. He listens well he will sit, stay, lay, and fetch. This is my first hunting dog and I want him to get started right. Thanks
dldavis3
hunter

Postby mossbergman » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:20 am

Well.... that can be hard to answer as each 1 is different. you kinda want the dog to show you that its interested in the water. Weather can play a big part in that decision too. If it is cold introducing them to water can traumatize them at young ages if they arent ready. If your a warmer weather state though 3 or 4 months can work just remeber that young pups need to be started of real easy not more then 10 feet or so out the first couple sessions, and make sure you read him good so you know when to quit while still on a positive. I have also found the best way to get em goin is for you to go into the water and have em come to you. Hope that helps heh just dont force it.
mossbergman
Newb

Postby hounder » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:39 pm

Moss is right. I got in the water in my waders and kept splashing a canvas dummy. My pups stood on the bank and whined but couldnt stand the tremptation and jumped in. Ever since then I cant keep them out of the water. Good luck with the pup
hounder
hunter

Never too early

Postby grantc2 » Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:09 pm

I dont think you can ever start a pup too early as long as you and the pup are having fun!
Be sure to visit www.gundogforum.com

The NEW Gun Dog Chat Site
grantc2
Newb

Return to Hunting Dog Forum