DOG'S WITH ATTITUDE'S!!!

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

DOG'S WITH ATTITUDE'S!!!

Postby duckdog » Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:29 pm

Ever since I got my yellow lab, I've had a great time with him, the first time I took him duckin, after bieng fully trained at a year, he did awesome. I have had to only fire up the boat after a duck once, because he could'nt get the duck (more of my fault than his :oops: ) Shortly after that I went hunting with the friend that I purchased my dog from, and he brought my lab's father. It worked out alright that day did'nt lose a duck. Problem was that the father would get snippy with his kid when he brought duck's back in, they would'nt fight or anything like that, but he would just give him a little growl and my dog would quiver like a cat, like he knew not to mess with the old man, and mine out weigh's him by 20 lbs. Glad he don't like to fight, but we had to have there duck's in seperate pile's so they could gaurd them. Ever since that day weve tried hunting them together about ten different time's, it just does'nt work they will keep there distance from each other, like a couple of big babie's. Even after we hunted them together, for about a week after that my dog would act like a jerk. Like he was saying how dare you take me out around that SOB, these are the only two I've seen do this, been out with both of them on seperate ocassion's with other dog's and theyre fine just together they can't stand each other. What a couple of big babie's. Any one else experienced attitude's like this with there best friend's. :laughing:
duckdog
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:36 pm

Try socializing them to one another in controlled, non-hunting environments. Over a little time, they should come around to one another and realize the other is not out to get them or their stuff.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:22 pm

It almost sounded like you were describing humans. :laughing:

It has very little to do with father/son thing, rather it has everything to do with an Alpha dog and your dog is being submissive. My worry will be when your dog gets to be 3 or 4 years old and maybe will not take the crap any more and an all out fight for who is dominent happens.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Return to Hunting Dog Forum