Young Puppy Trouble

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Young Puppy Trouble

Postby NoShow » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:11 am

have a four month old black lab puppy. hunted with her parents. great dogs. she is coming along with her ob great. eager to please after a good wearing down running and playing. she was retrieving a dummy for two or three retrieves down an alley i made behind her lot. great hold when walking and was bringing it to me after figuring she couldnt go anywhere else. now she has lost interest. with this come out better after force fetch? wat should i do?
NoShow
Newb

Re: Young Puppy Trouble

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:07 pm

1 SLOW DOWN!!!!! 4 month old puppy!!! Shouldnt be doing anything but having fun right now!
2 You shouldnt be running pup around to wear them out before training
3 you are more than likely throwing to many bumpers that is why pup is losing interest! Less is more only 2-3 retrievers a session maybe a day!! You dont wanta over do it and make it boring
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:50 pm

What I.wille said.......
She may be starting to push in her adult teeth so her mouth is sore.....Little young but that will be next.
Might also just take the pup for a few walks at the river....no pressure....no training....just have fun. Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby NoShow » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:08 pm

i guess im corrupted by the start early training. i ve just been doing sit, here. and throwing a couple bumpers every few days. what raised my concern was the first bumper i threw yesterday she didnt even pick up. and i didnt think about those puppy teeth. thanks so much for the help.
NoShow
Newb

Postby Duck Diver » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:12 pm

My pup just hit 4.5 months old and having the same issue with losing interest.

I'm giving him a break from bumpers, but my wager is on the teeth. Because he has charged hard for the marks up until the past week. Also he's leaving half of his food the past couple times i've fed him. I poured some water on it and he gobbled it up.
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby Boatman » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:25 am

Learn your pup. Always try to stop before they want to. If they loose intrest on the third throw stop next time on two throws. If you think they a teething work on OB only.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby highflyer82 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:29 pm

I have the opposite, I have a 16 week old that wont stop retrieving, I cant walk 5 feet without him trying to rip the bumper out my hand. I suggest getting him/her on some live pigeons. Works like a charm. I follow the Hillman program and its amazing how fast the pups pick up. good luck
highflyer82
Newb

Return to Hunting Dog Forum