Chesador's listed for sale on classifieds today

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Re: Chesador's listed for sale on classifieds today

Postby Takem_Brewer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:43 am

CatSquirrel wrote:Just to save future readers some time:

1. Poster upset someone bred a litter of mutts and charging $400.

2. People offer opinions on said litter. Some pro...some con.

3. Assateaugue feels compelled to bless the forum with 8 pages of mindless drivel because he's a libertarian.

Got it.

Bravo! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Hiland's Talkin Bout My Girl | Vada
Eyez to the Sky Morning Teal | Teal
Ottercreek's Wake Up Little Susie | Susie
Takem_Brewer
hunter

Postby Takem_Brewer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:55 am

Another thing I do not think people are taking into account is the amount of planning it takes to make a new breed now. To start a new breed you would need to look at pedigrees and know every dog in every pedigree that you are planning to breed together.

So to breed a "Chesador" you would need to know lab pedigrees well and chesapeakes pedigrees well. Not only would you need to know each of their pedigrees, but you would need to know any other breeds you decide to include in your new breed. Like I said before, you can't just breed a chesapeake and a lab together and call it a new breed. Doing this would only end up with half lab, half chesapeake puppies with no consistency. Other breeds would need to be introduced to really get to your goal of the new retriever. There are may different types of chesapeakes and many different types of labs. The point of creating a new breed is to create a breed with traits you find necessary with consistency.

Again, no one has volunteered any information on why they feel breeding a chesapeake and a lab together would be beneficial to any hunting situation. Yes there are differences between a lab and a chesapeake, but the great thing about both breeds is that you can find the lines that create a more aggressive lab, a chesapeake not on the soft side, a large boned lab, etc..
Hiland's Talkin Bout My Girl | Vada
Eyez to the Sky Morning Teal | Teal
Ottercreek's Wake Up Little Susie | Susie
Takem_Brewer
hunter

Postby jehler » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:53 am

Indaswamp wrote:but a new breed can not be made in 1 litter, which seems to be what you are claiming.

I Haven't read that anywhere swamp, a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. That said I haven't even seen assa infer that this guy in the ad is seeking to start a new breed. He's simply stating that the labs and chessies that are considered "pure" started their lineage in exactly the same fashion as this litter of mutts, a point the smuggles won't concede
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby jehler » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:55 am

Takem_Brewer wrote:Another thing I do not think people are taking into account is the amount of planning it takes to make a new breed now. To start a new breed you would need to look at pedigrees and know every dog in every pedigree that you are planning to breed together.

So to breed a "Chesador" you would need to know lab pedigrees well and chesapeakes pedigrees well. Not only would you need to know each of their pedigrees, but you would need to know any other breeds you decide to include in your new breed. Like I said before, you can't just breed a chesapeake and a lab together and call it a new breed. Doing this would only end up with half lab, half chesapeake puppies with no consistency. Other breeds would need to be introduced to really get to your goal of the new retriever. There are may different types of chesapeakes and many different types of labs. The point of creating a new breed is to create a breed with traits you find necessary with consistency.

Again, no one has volunteered any information on why they feel breeding a chesapeake and a lab together would be beneficial to any hunting situation. Yes there are differences between a lab and a chesapeake, but the great thing about both breeds is that you can find the lines that create a more aggressive lab, a chesapeake not on the soft side, a large boned lab, etc..

Explain to me why if I wanted to breed a lab and a chessie together it's anyone's business but mine?
jehler

Postby jehler » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:00 am

That's laughable, upset, yeah right...
He was so tickled pink he found some schmuck for you all to talk down on he started a thread. He got called out by assa and all the smuggles jumped on board to try and make the thread about starting a new breed. You all are blinded by your smug cloud
jehler

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:01 am

jehler wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:but a new breed can not be made in 1 litter, which seems to be what you are claiming.

I Haven't read that anywhere swamp, a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. That said I haven't even seen assa infer that this guy in the ad is seeking to start a new breed. He's simply stating that the labs and chessies that are considered "pure" started their lineage in exactly the same fashion as this litter of mutts, a point the smuggles won't concede

John, if you are gonna start a new breed, you do not sell your first litter-you keep them as breed stock, and cull the ones that don't make the cut for what you are lookin for. You have to let the pups grow and develop to see what kind of potential they got. That is my only contention with Assa's line of reasoning.....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:05 am

Indaswamp wrote:
jehler wrote:

John, if you are gonna start a new breed, you do not sell your first litter-you keep them as breed stock, and cull the ones that don't make the cut for what you are lookin for. You have to let the pups grow and develop to see what kind of potential they got. That is my only contention with Assa's line of reasoning.....

So, that doesn't change the fact that chessies started as mutts does it, that's the point.
jehler

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:07 am

jehler wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
jehler wrote:

So, that doesn't change the fact that chessies started as mutts does it, that's the point.

right, but the guy selling his first litter of a cross is NOT making a new breed, he is selling mutts. Personally, I got no problem with a guy selling mutts....if he can get what he is asking...
My problem is breeding mutts and calling it a new breed. It just ain't so....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:09 am

...and were he to actually take on the daunting task of actually starting a new breed, I wouldn't have a problem with that either.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:20 am

Where did he call them a new breed? He called them chessadore, got to call them something, he could call them dingledorks and it's not my business
jehler

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:24 am

jehler wrote:Where did he call them a new breed? He called them chessadore, got to call them something, he could call them dingledorks and it's not my business

He may not have explicitly said it, but it was inferred by claiming that the chessie as a breed started from cross breeding, then comparing it to this litter of mutts. At least how I read it....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:40 am

Indaswamp wrote:
jehler wrote:Where did he call them a new breed? He called them chessadore, got to call them something, he could call them dingledorks and it's not my business

He may not have explicitly said it, but it was inferred by claiming that the chessie as a breed started from cross breeding, then comparing it to this litter of mutts. At least how I read it....

I didn't read it like that at all.
jehler

Postby jehler » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:41 am

Hey swamp, is it legal to anchor or pull up alongside the main pass and spend the night? Or in a little pass like where we cut willow?
jehler

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:43 am

jehler wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

Part of the push back form people on the board is from the fact that people are protective of breeds. Reason for that is that they are so damn hard to build! I can't fault them for that. Anyone can make a 1 time litter and sell the puppies.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:43 am

jehler wrote:Hey swamp, is it legal to anchor or pull up alongside the main pass and spend the night? Or in a little pass like where we cut willow?

no. pm sent.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:12 am

jehler wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

I'm referring to Assa...not the guy that bred the litter.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:24 am

Indaswamp wrote:
jehler wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

I'm referring to Assa...not the guy that bred the litter.

I know, i didn't read assa's post like that
jehler

Postby Jarbo03 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:56 am

He never said anything comparing these"mutts" to anything, just that new breeds are started by cross breeding. The biggest issue was that so called adults were so worried about what another person is doing with his own dog. Enough to start a thread about it putting this person down. Thats the general BS attitude that keeps many, including myself, from participating mire often in the dog forum.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:39 am

jehler wrote:

He was so tickled pink he found some schmuck for you all to talk down on he started a thread. He got called out by assa and all the smuggles jumped on board to try and make the thread about starting a new breed. You all are blinded by your smug cloud

I don't see what's so smug. I don't care that the guy bred a Chessie and a Lab. I hope they turn out well for the people that buy them.

Would I want one? No.
But (for me) that applies to 99% of Labs too. If a dog can't hack it in field trials, I don't want to feed it. That's just the game I choose to play.

That doesn't mean I look down on a good hunting dog. If they bring back the birds, I'm fine with that. Hell, one of my buddies has a Lab/Mountain Cur mix that's a phenomenal duck dog.
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby jehler » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:45 am

Top water
jehler

Postby CatSquirrel » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:25 am

jehler wrote:Top water

Are you speaking to me?
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:31 am

CatSquirrel wrote:
jehler wrote:

I don't see what's so smug. I don't care that the guy bred a Chessie and a Lab. I hope they turn out well for the people that buy them.

Would I want one? No.
But (for me) that applies to 99% of Labs too. If a dog can't hack it in field trials, I don't want to feed it. That's just the game I choose to play.

That doesn't mean I look down on a good hunting dog. If they bring back the birds, I'm fine with that. Hell, one of my buddies has a Lab/Mountain Cur mix that's a phenomenal duck dog.

My first retriever was a Lab/walker hound cross....6 1/4% walker hound (3 generations back). He was a meat dog. took hand signals out to about 100 yards. I was proud for the first dog I trained. He'd sit still on the dog stand, but the first duck of the morning we dropped, he'd tree howl when launched off the stand! Always did that for the first retrieve of the morning...many a guy inda blind had coffee up the nose if they happened to take a sip when I sent him, they did not know to expect it as it was so unexpected! :lol3:

Having said that, would I want another one? No. Did I pay $400 for him? No. But I did loose count of the number of ducks that dog retrieved for me. You can see the droopy hound ears.....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:39 am

CatSquirrel wrote:

Are you speaking to me?

Just pointing out you're a better fish than you are fisherman ;)
jehler

Postby CatSquirrel » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:42 am

jehler wrote:
CatSquirrel wrote:

Are you speaking to me?

Just pointing out you're a better fish than you are fisherman ;)

Damn....lmao...
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:44 am

Jarbo03 wrote:He never said anything comparing these"mutts" to anything, just that new breeds are started by cross breeding. The biggest issue was that so called adults were so worried about what another person is doing with his own dog. Enough to start a thread about it putting this person down. Thats the general BS attitude that keeps many, including myself, from participating mire often in the dog forum.

And I have pointed out repeatedly that the guy that bred the litter is not starting a new breed, He has a liter of mutts. So the point is moot IMO. Were he starting a new breed, you and Assa would have a valid argument.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum