help

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

help

Postby drakedog2012 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:48 pm

what is the easiest way to teach wistle sit. any tips or pointers?
drakedog2012
hunter

Re: help

Postby cn44 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:07 pm

Sit *whistle* sit
cn44
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:57 pm

x2 for above
Dog is on a 4' lead and knows verbal command "Sit" prior.
Lots of reps.
Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:50 pm

i had my pup sitting on a whistle at 8 weeks. :lol3: (he is the second one at the same age) sit whistle sit whistle etc etc the next night whistle sit whistle sit then on day three whistle whistle whistle with a little pressure on his bum and a little lift on his chin BAM done deal :clapping:
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:58 pm

drakedog2012 wrote:what is the easiest way to teach wistle sit. any tips or pointers?

There's a lot of ways to teach it, but it depends on the pups'/dogs' age as to what tools, training history, and how you'd want to teach it.
And-
Re-enforce it.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby OmegaRed » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:02 am

O.D.Lid wrote:i had my pup sitting on a whistle at 8 weeks. :lol3: (he is the second one at the same age) sit whistle sit whistle etc etc the next night whistle sit whistle sit then on day three whistle whistle whistle with a little pressure on his bum and a little lift on his chin BAM done deal :clapping:

well done
That rug really tied the room together...
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby drakedog2012 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:52 pm

thanks guys i really didnt know. he'll sit if i tell him too but when he goes to retrieve he wont stop he seems dead on where to go but that was the only issue i was having
drakedog2012
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:40 pm

drakedog2012 wrote:thanks guys i really didnt know. he'll sit if i tell him too but when he goes to retrieve he wont stop he seems dead on where to go but that was the only issue i was having

from this can you explain why you want the dog to sit out in the field? im wondering because it sounds like you are trying to handle on a mark.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cfmckinn » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:51 am

Sit him down in front of you and walk backwards 15 yards. Hide a bumber behind your back. Call the dog to you and when he starts to come blow the whistle and walk towards him with your hand open ( stop motion.) When he sits, immediately reward him with a fun bumper. Alternate between sitting him and letting him come all the way back to you. This will prevent him from sitting without blowing the whistle. Slowly extend the distance between the handler and dog. Next, throw a mark and stand between the dog and the mark but give the dog some room to run by you. Send the dog on the mark, blow the whistle, step out in front of him, and make sure he sits. Then, Immediately after the dog sits send him to the mark. Alternate this to prevent him sitting without the whistle. Work closer to the dog until he is at heal. This is just one way... there are lots of others. *** Highly recommend doing obedience before the drill and work sit at heal with a whistle.
cfmckinn
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum