Starting Gauge in the real hunting situation??

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Starting Gauge in the real hunting situation??

Postby Phild » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:30 am

Well it is 11 days till opener in Alberta, we will mostly see Teals which is fine by me to start the season. This will be Gauge's first season hunting but I want to be sure that I do things right even though she is marking doubles heck even short tripples on land. She is pretty steady (when not super amped up) and great with having guns fired over top of her, but has never hunted. I mean really field hunted. My plan was to have a friend come along for the first week and start out by me just handling her and shooting 2 or 3 birds on the first hunt and let her get a feeling for it and then for that week work her up to a limit. Which for two of us would be 16. Would 16 retrieves in a days hunting be too much to expect? She will be 19 months old and has her jr title (not that titles matter in the blind) but I would hope she would be good for 16 retrieves.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Re: Starting Gauge in the real hunting situation??

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:01 am

Go for it! Should have no problem with what I've seen of Gauge on your videos etc. I would make sure that on the first few birds that you have only your buddy shoot, and restrain her with a light trailing check cord with slight pressure just to be assured she doesn't break. Easier to prevent and condition rather than to correct. Then if you want to shoot, which will be more of a tempation for her, have your buddy apply the tension to the check cord, praise her, and walk over and heel her and send her on the retrieve. Gradually release the tension on the cord until she's steady with either one of you before you both go to shooting at the same time. That's when you get to find out if all this year's worth of work has paid off perfectly. I bet she passes with flying colors 'cause you've done it right!!

Put 'em on the water (leave her a cripple or two, as well)!

She'll make you proud!

Teal are mighty good eating, lets hear the results. Take your camera.

TFG
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:09 am

Phil

Just be careful you don't do a big volley of shots over her head the first few birds in the blind. Another concern is that she is in the blind, can't see out, the space in enclosed and that bunch of shots hammers over her head. Once she gets thi idea you should be good to go. Just my opinion.

Check your private messages.

Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby Phild » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:49 am

Thanks, I am hoping that Richard my buddy will be able to do the one shot one kill deal for me, he is always bragging what a great shot he is :lol:

Don I shot ya a PM back

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:02 pm

Shooting teal, you'll be able to find out real quick how good a shot he is! :crying:
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Phild » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:36 pm

My best, and yes this is a slight brag was an 8 limit with 9 shells. :no: should have just been 8 but those suckers are fast.
Phild
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:42 pm

Yours reads like a good plan to me.

She'll tell you if she's getting overloaded by acting up, in which case just slow down and get it right. Some pups go "one toke over the line" so to speak from too much opportunity, while others mellow with more work.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum