Wont fetch?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Wont fetch?

Postby Jesse Minish » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:36 am

I have an almost 8 month old black lab male that will not retrieve at all any more. He was great for a while but since about 6 months old kind of quit... He is smart and does all other comands great. I can hold a steak in front of his nose and he wont touch it untill I give him the "OK". He will run to it and find it but will not pick it up. I am VERY fustrated. I have tried making it fun, using sents, treats, make him hold but wont, ect. :fingerhead:
I dont know anyone that bird hunts and am just getting into it myself so I spent good money on him. He comes from a great pedigree. Any advice?
Jesse Minish
hunter

Re: Wont fetch?

Postby Labs » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:43 am

Force Fetch....research it, learn it, love it, practice it. If you are not able to handle this yourself, take him to a local trainer and get the FF done. At 8 months, he should already have all his adult teeth in, correct?
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:48 am

He probably quit about the time his permenant teeth started coming in. Check and see if they are all in and his gums are not inflamed. If that is the case FF him.
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby Jesse Minish » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:00 am

Thanks for the replies! Yes his adult teeth are in and no inflammation. I have called some trainers but nobody wants to tell me anything they just want me to have them train him. I will try reading more on FF but I got a little confused before... I do have a training day with a respected trainer but its not till October and really want him retrieving when I get there. Thanks
Jesse Minish
hunter

Postby Labs » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:09 am

If you do this process yourself for the first time, make darn sure you read everything before starting. I used Smart Fetch, by Evan Graham....step by step instruction....
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:42 pm

I am not familiar with all the FF programs out in the market today. I have taught a group FF class for the past 20 years for our gun dog club, and if you can get some experienced hands on help I highly suggest it.
The biggest problem you will have as a first time trainer is reading the dogs intentions in the process. ie: is he blowing me off or does the dog not understand. Also, until you get in to the process you will not know if you have a drama queen that will make your life miserable during the process.
Also, many people fight going back and reteaching a certain aspect of the process in order to move foward.
As you can see it is a simple process that can become complicated. I am not saying don't attempt it, but as labs advice says, read and understand the whole process before getting started.
Teach, Train, Test and Hunt
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:20 pm

Force Fetch wrote:I am not familiar with all the FF programs out in the market today. I have taught a group FF class for the past 20 years for our gun dog club, and if you can get some experienced hands on help I highly suggest it.
The biggest problem you will have as a first time trainer is reading the dogs intentions in the process. ie: is he blowing me off or does the dog not understand. Also, until you get in to the process you will not know if you have a drama queen that will make your life miserable during the process.
Also, many people fight going back and reteaching a certain aspect of the process in order to move foward.
As you can see it is a simple process that can become complicated. I am not saying don't attempt it, but as labs advice says, read and understand the whole process before getting started.
Teach, Train, Test and Hunt

Excellent post. Like the way you think. Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby olclamman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:19 pm

sounds like tooooo much pressure he is a pup back off for awhile get a ball play get the ball for a while no PRESSURE
get a clipped wing pigeon loet him maul it throw it here and there he will start to retrieve
remember you can take the drive out of a pup but cannot put it in don't ff at this time again tooo much pressure
retired less money more wife
olclamman
hunter

Postby Jesse Minish » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:16 pm

Thanks guys. I will read and understand FF before I start maybe get a DVD on it also.
Jesse Minish
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:13 pm

Thank you Don. Maybe I have learned some things in 40 years of training, now on to the next dog. Happy Hunting.
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:46 pm

Timing of his shutdown was certainly coincidental with permanent teeth coming in and it is highly common for a dog with tender gums to be less than completely enthusiastic about retrieving during this period.

I am a huge advocate for force fetch training regarding if a dog is perceived to be a "natural retriever" or not. Force fetch training and solid obedience are the cornerstone foundation of all more advanced retriever training. If you are not upntonthe job, pay a pro to do it for you and it will be money well spent. :thumbsup:

My retriever was well on it's way to being force fetched trained 3 days into it, with very little "pressure" needed to accomplish the desired response. Regular reinforcement for about another week after starting FF and it was on to a firm foundation for other retriever related training.

Good luck with your retriever. :thumbsup:

Cheers Mate,
Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby Jesse Minish » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:08 am

Thanks Irishwhistler!
Jesse Minish
hunter