Puppy Nutrition

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Puppy Nutrition

Postby jonnyp390 » Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:26 pm

Hello fellow hunters,
Last week I picked up a 12 week old German Shorthair puppy. I intend to train the dog on both upland birds and waterfowl, but most importantly as a family companion. The question I have is concerning the dog food I should feed him. The breeder had been feeding him "Nutro Max Puppy formula". Their Vet had recommended this brand. I would also like to hear from any of you that would be kind enough to share your opinions on dog food with me.

Also, I would be interested if any of you have any training books or videos that you would recommend.

thank you and good hunting
jonnyp390
hunter

Postby hounder » Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:22 am

I am picking up a black lab female from a breeder in Feb. Pup was born in Nov and breeder is jump starting her for me untill I am ready for her.
They reccommended Purina puppy pro and have consistently told me dont let her get fat. they also reccommended Richard Wolters book and videos.
I have purchases them and their methods definitely made sense to me. I got mine at Cabellas.
Good luck with the pup!!!!
hounder
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:34 pm

Richard Woltors is a joke, that's the first book I read also, but the guy is a idiot, don't wast your money, if you want a real book get the tri-tronics book, I think jim dobbs wrote it or at least he's in it, best book I've seen, by far, all the best feed pro-plan, but I'm sure that other stuff will be o.k. just make sure your dog gets vitamines.
Pro staff ~
www.MARSHMUTT.com
phillipstd
hunter

Postby huntingwidow » Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:29 pm

I was told by our vets that Purina One was the best food there was if you don't feel like spending $50 a week on Science Diet.
If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around.
huntingwidow
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:19 pm

if the puppy is doing well on nutro leave it.

I personally feed diamond lamb and rice or cosco brand lamb and rice. I have used this since my pup was 7 weeks old.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:40 pm

I fed my shorthair Purina One puppy formula. Her stool seemed to be a little loose, so I added rice to it and that seemed to help. I'm now feeding Purina One adult blend. I've been real happy with her coat and performance in the field.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby brucemacp » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:43 pm

I think it's all pretty even when you get to the higher priced feed but Purina One is pretty hard to beat for price and product.
Kobie the wonder dog says" Hunting seasons over? Wake me up around noon"
brucemacp
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum