Live birds for training?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Live birds for training?

Postby Congareelabs » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:39 pm

Hello,

I was wondering where if anyone knew where to find live birds for retriever training near Jacksonville FL? I just recently moved here from SC (there was a pigeon plant there i used to buy them from.) I already asked the local feed stores and they were no help. If anyone is from around this area and could point me in the right direction id appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
Congareelabs
Newb

Re: Live birds for training?

Postby highflyer82 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:17 pm

try craigslist. just dont tell them what there for. thats where I get mine
highflyer82
Newb

Postby dogyak » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:01 pm

Jeff , sent a PM to you . We have a local retriever club here in your backyard :yes: .
dogyak
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:49 am

highflyer82 wrote:try craigslist. just dont tell them what there for. thats where I get mine

^^ This!!! I'm always buying ducks, pigeons for my kids (dont have any!! :lol3: ) or my mom.... If they were smart enough they'd put 2 and 2 together and notice the duck stickers on my truck, and the dog box in the back..... But they dont! or dont care really..
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby crackerd » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:47 am

Congareelabs wrote:was wondering where if anyone knew where to find live birds for retriever training near Jacksonville FL? I just recently moved here from SC (there was a pigeon plant there i used to buy them from.)

Planted plenty of pigeons in my day, but never knew there was a plant for turning them out. Was it in the squab market?

Just joshing you, Jeff - but would be keen to hear about a pigeon plant. And down your way, for using live birds, you're more likely to come across duck flyers than pigeons. Any of the north Fla. retriever clubs could probably help you out with sources for them.

MG
crackerd
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:53 am

i_willie12 wrote:
highflyer82 wrote:try craigslist. just dont tell them what there for. thats where I get mine

^^ This!!! I'm always buying ducks, pigeons for my kids (dont have any!! :lol3: ) or my mom.... If they were smart enough they'd put 2 and 2 together and notice the duck stickers on my truck, and the dog box in the back..... But they dont! or dont care really..

haha i normally put the live ducks in my dogs crate in the back of my car. i did tell one guy what i was doing with them and he didnt care but he keeps asking how the ducks tasted since i told him i normally eat them after we are done training with them (yeah right) but they are free so i keep going back and telling him they were good with a little bacon. not the prettiest duck but they work.

krazybronco2
hunter

Postby dogyak » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:01 pm

crackerd wrote:
Congareelabs wrote:was wondering where if anyone knew where to find live birds for retriever training near Jacksonville FL? I just recently moved here from SC (there was a pigeon plant there i used to buy them from.)

Planted plenty of pigeons in my day, but never knew there was a plant for turning them out. Was it in the squab market?

Just joshing you, Jeff - but would be keen to hear about a pigeon plant. And down your way, for using live birds, you're more likely to come across duck flyers than pigeons. Any of the north Fla. retriever clubs could probably help you out with sources for them.

MG

Already contacted him about the club . He would be able to get birds with the club . We are not going to supply to anyone out there birds . If he became a member , he could get chukars , quails , ducks . We have a local breeder that supply's birds for the clubs close by . Northeast Florida HRC
dogyak
hunter

Postby imateamroper2 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:07 pm

They call those Runner ducks.
they make great pets and people show those birds in competition at fairs and bird shows.
They make good pets cause they can't fly to well.or choose not to! :lol:
imateamroper2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:25 am

imateamroper2 wrote:They call those Runner ducks.
they make great pets and people show those birds in competition at fairs and bird shows.
They make good pets cause they can't fly to well.or choose not to! :lol:

i know what they are and make great crippled birds because the cant fly but man can they run when they want to which really gets the dog going.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Congareelabs » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:35 am

Thanks for all the good info. I have been debating getting into a Retriever club very seriously as well. Ive found a few around here on the net. (just been busy with alligator and deer season coming up..) Crackered, yea Ive never seen but this one plant but it was a legit plant that bred and sold pigeons for consumption. They were located in Sumter South Carolina and it was about a 30 min drive for me. There were thousands there all in individual coops. Google palmetto pigeon plant and they have a website! I thought they were bred for dog food or something, but i could get them for 3 bucks a pop.

Anyway ill be checkin craigslist, and checkin more into getting into a club!

Jeff
Congareelabs
Newb

Postby crackerd » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:24 pm

Thanks for that report, Congaree - seems funny to call you that, having trained with a fellow whose Chessie had that very name. Love to train with pigeons and love me some squab too - sometimes the twain meets, last weekend for example when we shot "dinner" as flyers for the dogs. I will have to look up the Sumter pigeon plant, and good luck in getting birds out of north Florida/south Georgia.

MG
crackerd
hunter

Postby Jake88 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:03 pm

It's a little bit of work, but we catch our own pigeons. They pile up in highway overpasses around here once the sun goes down. We use a flashlight and a big dipnet usually but have used traps thru the day as well. If you have overpasses near you it's probably worth checking out. Me and a buddy have caught over 50 a night a few times
Jake88
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum