HIPS

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

HIPS

Postby O.D.Lid » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:22 am

My dog is 7 1/2 years old and starting to show discomfort in his hips after a days work. In the water not so much but after field training he has a hard time in the evening. Is there a recommendation on some hip and joint glucosamine type pill or powder? I take the pills myself and they really don't seem to help all that much! His parents and grandparents(fc afc rebel with a cause and fc afc watermarks the boss) are normal/good and excellent so it isn't in his breeding. My brother says it isn't the age but the miles! Any help would be appreciated,thanks.
Last edited by O.D.Lid on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Re: HIPS

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:02 pm

O.D.Lid wrote:My dog is 7 1/2 years old and starting to show discomfort in his hips after a days work. In the water not so much but after field training he has a hard time in the evening. Is there a recommendation on some hip and joint glucosamine type pill or powder? I take the pills myself and they really don't seem to help all that much! His parents and grandparents(fc afc rebel with a cause and fc afc watermarks the boss) are normal and excellent so it isn't in his breeding. My brother says it isn't the age but the miles! Any help would be appreciated,thanks.

There is no OFA hip rating "normal", and you can still get 25% HD from 2 OFA Excellents; best guarantee against HD is pedigree depth.

If you are sure it's hips (has he been xrayed?), google Adequan. I have used it for over 15 years now, for everything from partial cruciate tears to a blown collateral to an arthritic elbow, clients have also used it with great success for HD. I never had success with supplements, including Dasuquin, and I am a professional skeptic, but Adequan has been used for years in race horses, and is the closest thing to a wonder "drug" (it is not a drug) I have ever seen; and I've seen plenty :yes:.
The lab and golden think: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; they must be gods."
The Chesapeake thinks: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; I must be a God."
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:29 pm

Thanks for the reply. His pedigree has depth ie: nafc nfc candlewoods supertanker,afc fc wilderness harly to go, 26 titled on mothers side and 22 on fathers side. My vet gave me Ribnodul 100, it definitely helps but I don't like giving him it so much, only after an extreme work out. This dog has always had "the go!" Every judge has commented on his eagerness to the bird and back. He just doesn't understand he is now 7 and not 2 anymore. This dog does everything 100% :scooter:
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby TrapperRob » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:15 pm

When my dog turned 8 she started to have trouble even walking up stairs after running around. I gave her some glucosamine pills and they didn't seem to work. So, I talked to my vet, she said my dog didn't have dysplasia or any abnormalities. The vet recommended that I switch her food to "science diet healthy mobility". I fed it to her and in about 3 weeks she was like a puppy again, she didn't have any discomfort or stiffness. Hope this helps...
I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-Henry David Thoreau
TrapperRob
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:28 pm

Thanks for more info. I have always fed pro plan so i can't blame it on the food. Any other input would be greatly appreciated the hunting season is near and I am worried especially when it starts to freeze up.
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby TrapperRob » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:09 pm

PM Sent...
I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-Henry David Thoreau
TrapperRob
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:37 am

O.D.Lid wrote:My dog is 7 1/2 years old and starting to show discomfort in his hips after a days work. In the water not so much but after field training he has a hard time in the evening.

My first Chessie was diagnosed with moderate dysplasia during an OFA prelim prior breeding before the 2yr-old limit for certification, which not only aborted his breeding career and ended his hunt testing but changed our training regimen. Both my vet and the one most area trialers used recommended limiting land work and emphasizing water work to prevent unnecessary pounding on the bad hip and strengthen the muscles that act as shock absorbers for it. So that's what we did: very little land work and tons of swimming between seasons. That dog went on to hunt 10 commercial club seasons at a time when we were hunting large white spreads and killing geese "by the truck load". All a roundabout way of suggesting a change in your off season practices.

Adequan injections yielded mixed results in his case, sometimes seeming to help, sometimes showing little or no difference.

Have a vet friend who's been recommending a product called Glyco Flex, because of good results with some dogs, but it and other such glucosimine combos that work to slow, halt or even reverse cartilage loss, requires long term use to show results.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:06 am

Rick Hall wrote:
O.D.Lid wrote:My dog is 7 1/2 years old and starting to show discomfort in his hips after a days work. In the water not so much but after field training he has a hard time in the evening.

My first Chessie was diagnosed with moderate dysplasia during an OFA prelim prior breeding before the 2yr-old limit for certification, which not only aborted his breeding career and ended his hunt testing but changed our training regimen. Both my vet and the one most area trialers used recommended limiting land work and emphasizing water work to prevent unnecessary pounding on the bad hip and strengthen the muscles that act as shock absorbers for it. So that's what we did: very little land work and tons of swimming between seasons. That dog went on to hunt 10 commercial club seasons at a time when we were hunting large white spreads and killing geese "by the truck load". All a roundabout way of suggesting a change in your off season practices.

Adequan injections yielded mixed results in his case, sometimes seeming to help, sometimes showing little or no difference.

Have a vet friend who's been recommending a product called Glyco Flex, because of good results with some dogs, but it and other such glucosimine combos that work to slow, halt or even reverse cartilage loss, requires long term use to show results.

Rick, when I first used Adequan there wasn't even a canine version, we used the equine adjusting the dose There was also no such thing as a loading regimen, which is the current recommendation. The worst cases I have used it on came sound after 5 injections of the loading dose, most were sound after 2 injections. My current dog has a partially blown cruciate as of last December, finished the loading doses and had a maintenance shot a month later and is currently sound, still trying to figure out a maintenance schedule for him. Did you do the loading deal with your dog?
The lab and golden think: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; they must be gods."
The Chesapeake thinks: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; I must be a God."
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:21 am

My vet was/is primarily a large animal vet adjusting a horse regimen that never produced what I'd call a "sound" dog. Was in the mid '90s, and I don't recall what the regimen was, other than a closer series followed by less frequent shots. Finally went to a pretty expensive pill that seemed more effective in terms of pain relief, but danged if I can recall what it was.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:19 am

I have an older bitch that at 2 developed stenosis. She would be fine and then walking along would just yelp. Needless to say training was out.

I brought her to the LSU vet school and they wanted to go in and pop her spine in half and roto-root out her nerve openings.
Here I was with a 2 year old dog whose career was essentially over.

A friend of mine recommended putting her in Synovi (glucosamine and msm) so I tried it out. What did I have to lose?

It worked like a charm. She's since picked up over 6,000 birds and hasn't ever had another episode.

YMMV
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby labsforme » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:35 pm

I kept pick pup out of Cosmo ( OFA Excellant) and my gal Patty (OFA Good ) that turned out to be dysplastic.Had her hips done and used GlycoFlex 3.She hunted great until about 10 and then got arthritic and slowed down. I agree with using a supplement as they get older.Even do with my 5 year old AA dog.

Jeff
labsforme
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum