Hunting dog transport

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Hunting dog transport

Postby Dustyra » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:10 am

I recently purchased a new truck. This truck came with a Hard Tonneau Cover. I did want a bed cover but I really wanted a roll up cover. Oh well they made me a really good deal on it. The primary thing I am concerned about is hauling my lab during duck season. My dogs are like my children so I want them to be safe. The truck will be full with hunters and the dog will be Very muddy on the way home, so putting him in the cab is not really an option. I could put the dogs in the back but I am concerned with ventilation under the cover. The hunts will be in the winter so I'm not that concerned about the heat but I am concerned about CO2 and CO buildup in the bed. I will be pulling a boat most of the time so leaving the tailgate down is not really an option either. I was wondering if you or anyone you know has ever transported there dogs under a cover? Worst case scenario I could pull the cover off but that would defeat the purpose. I also have been considering putting vents in the cover but not exactly sure how to do it just yet. I like the thought of having the lockable cover to protect our gear (when we stop for food and supplies) on long trips (4hrs) to the Texas Coast but dog's safety is #1. Do any of you have any suggestions?
Dustyra
hunter

Re: Hunting dog transport

Postby rivercountry » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:30 am

When I had my Avalanche I transported my dog under the Tonneau all the time with no trouble. I never made extremely long trips with her under it though. You can purchase co2 detectors and install in the bed if you are concerned. I believe you can get something that will work from Ray Allen Supply they sell supplies for LEO K9’s. Those units can be a little pricey though. With a little thought you could probably modify a home co2 detector to fit your needs so you could hear the audible alarm in the cab of your truck. Hope this helps
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby EvanKCMO » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:31 am

I used to have a hard tonneau cover but opted to sell it and replace with a camper shell instead because I did not want my dogs riding under there for reasons you mentioned plus it doesn't seem very fair to the dog to not be able to stand up, stretch, etc...

Now I let them ride free in the back with the vents open for short trips and strap their kennels in for longer trips. The plan for hunting this fall is to have the kennels in the back strapped in and all the rest of our gear (decoys, waders, etc...) can fit around the kennels.

The only snag I have seen in this setup is when it gets hot (80* plus) I do not feel comfortable with them riding back there due to lack of circulation so if it's too hot out the pups stay at home.

FWIW - I sold the fiberglass bed cover for $300 and bought the shell for $650 so only spent $350 for the upgrade. I can still lock everything securely in the back, my dogs ride comfortably and the cab of my truck stays clean. Craigslist is an awesome place :thumbsup:
Attachments
Camper Shell.jpg
bed cover 2.jpg
EvanKCMO
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:54 am

Evan go to Lowes and get some blue insulation board... Cut it to length and put in the top of the camper shell Might have to glue to you would be amazed at how much that will cut down on the sun/heat from coming through!!!!! Dad did this to his camper and when and Hunt test its cool under there
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Dustyra » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:55 am

Thank you guys. That is what I was afraid of. I wonder if there is a way to cleanly modify the cover to add vents? I have considered a camper shell but I not a big fan of them. I have even considered adding 12 volt fans to try to get more airflow but I would need to figure out how to add vent holes cleanly.
Dustyra
hunter

Postby EvanKCMO » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:29 pm

i_willie12 wrote:Evan go to Lowes and get some blue insulation board... Cut it to length and put in the top of the camper shell Might have to glue to you would be amazed at how much that will cut down on the sun/heat from coming through!!!!! Dad did this to his camper and when and Hunt test its cool under there

Thanks for the tip Willie! I love the camper shell setup but do get nervous even on short trips when it's warm and I don't risk it at all for anything over 10 minutes if the conditions are what I described above. I called around and for a couple hundred bucks it sounds like I can get the front window (closest to the cab) replaced with one that slides open instead of flipping down like it does now. I will likely do that next spring to help them get even more circulation for hot days in addition to the insulation board up top.
EvanKCMO
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:28 pm

Various vent configurations are available for house trailers and vans. Might find something that would work. Also, a detector should be for CO not CO2.

I went the camper top route myself. I really like the "win-doors" that ARE has for the sides.
:thumbsup:
GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum