need info on jr hunt test

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

need info on jr hunt test

Postby Bcarroll » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:29 pm

I want to run my dog in hunt test. Dont know where to start. Do I have to be in retreiver club? Ive never been to one.
Bcarroll
hunter

Re: need info on jr hunt test

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:21 am

are you looking at an AKC Jr test. because all i think you need is to make sure the dog is registered with the AKC and sign up for an event you want to attend as early as possible.

not sure if i answered your question.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:35 am

No, you do not need to be a member of the club hosting the event.

If you state where you are located there is probably someone from your area who can tell you about the tests you are looking to enter.
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:32 am

"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Ecardona » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:50 am

Test is real easy make sure the pup delivers to hand doesn't have to be steady to shots you will do 2 land and 2 water marks no more then 35 yards the main key is delivery to hand. I have seen ppl jump to catch a bird form the pups mouth
Ecardona
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:09 am

If you are serious about entering and running the pup/dog in hunt tests or trials with the AKC, HRC, it would be helpful if you went ahead and got signed up on ENTRY EXPRESS which makes life easier on entering. They will take your credit card info initially and bill your card for each hunt test or field trial you wish to enter. They also have listings of all the tests and trials. Just make sure you have handy your AKC registration number for the pup, the registered name, call name, etc.
Check em out:

http://www.entryexpress.net/
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby dogyak » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:15 am

Ecardona wrote:Test is real easy make sure the pup delivers to hand doesn't have to be steady to shots you will do 2 land and 2 water marks no more then 35 yards the main key is delivery to hand. I have seen ppl jump to catch a bird form the pups mouth

It's more than 35 yds for a JH test in the AKC . Also the dog will have a shot flyer , just because your pup is picking up dead birds now doesn't mean he will pick up a fresh shot bird . I've seen many young dogs blink a fresh shot bird because they never had any . If you have never done any hunt test , I would find a club close by and attend their club training day and see how your pup does . A lot is happening at a test and if your dog is not used to it , seen dogs shut down or get real shy due to being confused . But if you just want to spend 55 and up to find out , it's up to you . Remember this ,we train too not let the dog fail .
dogyak
hunter

Postby Phild » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:52 pm

Well I did my first CKC Jr, Hunt test and here were my thoughts and then what really happened. I to thought ok no more that 100 yards on land and 70 on water. Thought it would be nice nad calm walking to the line and stand there and wait for the bird to be launched into a nice pretty light cover field. Dog goes and gets a nice easy mark.

First the my dog was so hyped from having 20 other dogs around my well behaved great listening dog went out the door and was replaced with this tear your arm off to get to the line lab. Holding blinds people say train with them well they are okay to train with but if you can not reproduce the "action" that a dog will hear, smell and see you will still have a dog that wants to just get the bird instead of sitting in a holding blind.

Mine was a 3 day even with 3 tests Day one I would say was easy but you and your dog are very nervous, trust me I am not a nervous guy but I was on my first day. Mine were 40 and 65 on land in deep grass cover and 35 and 55 maybe on water. Day to they introduced decoys, wooden guns, duck calls, holding blinds, buckets to sit on make the dog exit water and then come back in for a water mark. Day three test was in a location with deep deep cover and dogs that ran last lost sight and picked up scent from drag by and got confused. Water was out to 85 yards with a cross wind blowing duck to shore into a cove, but there were 4 or 5 other coves for the dog to go into first.

Bottom line is the judges have only so much to work with when it comes to land and they have to use it as well they can add any hunting impliment that they feel is releven to a hunting situation within reason. At least that was what I was told about the CKC, and yes it is true you will see people dive for birds before the dog drops them if the dog is not FF lol. I made mine come to a heel and hold untill I made the call to drop just like we train. I tried grabbing for a bird on the first test and scared my girl and had to tell her to fetch it up anyway so I thought hell she is FF why bother.

Saying all that I was under prepared as a handeler but Gauge was more than ready, we didn't train with alot of the added stuff or with other dogs much. Only thing she could have done better was have been a bit more calm going to the line but she pulled and we had to go slow. We did however get three passes and a title in the weekend. Best of luck try to get soem traing tools and other dogs to train around that will really help if your pup is ready it's ready.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:04 pm

as ten fingers said go to entry express but...... most hunt clubs have "picnic" tests. these are like practice games! alot less formal and most are willing to help out a newbie. go find one and have fun
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby Bcarroll » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:07 pm

Thanks for all the info! My dog is 1year 4 months. He spent 6 months with Chris Akins and is doing wonderful. I never planned on any hunt test so I never inquire about it. I got my dog back from Chris with 10 days of season left last year and he finished out with pu 47 ducks. Like I said never wanted to hunt test but ive worked with this dog monday through friday and have really enjoyed watching him progress. Now hes on whistle stopping and hand signals 70% of the time. Running full t with 10 dummies and will do perfect 8 outta 10. Dcheat is going decent just wanting to hug bank but staying in water on way back. People tell me dont bother with jr test but I dont want to skip. 2 water and 2 land delivery to hand not problem. I really injoy working with the dog more than I thought I would. Iv started working him with other dogs around to try to prepare for bunch of dogs and detractions.I'm located in Arkansas.
Bcarroll
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:04 am

then to be honest my recommendation for you (because you are a hunter) is to find an HRC test and run started. same concept but normally cheaper and can move up the ranks faster (title). also like that you get to shoot a gun and it is more of a team thing because you can cause a failure.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Phild » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:17 am

Bcarroll wrote:Thanks for all the info! My dog is 1year 4 months. He spent 6 months with Chris Akins and is doing wonderful. I never planned on any hunt test so I never inquire about it. I got my dog back from Chris with 10 days of season left last year and he finished out with pu 47 ducks. Like I said never wanted to hunt test but ive worked with this dog monday through friday and have really enjoyed watching him progress. Now hes on whistle stopping and hand signals 70% of the time. Running full t with 10 dummies and will do perfect 8 outta 10. Dcheat is going decent just wanting to hug bank but staying in water on way back. People tell me dont bother with jr test but I dont want to skip. 2 water and 2 land delivery to hand not problem. I really injoy working with the dog more than I thought I would. Iv started working him with other dogs around to try to prepare for bunch of dogs and detractions.I'm located in Arkansas.

Sounds like your pooch is ready, mine was doing doubles as well but I didn't skip either. In CKC if you start Sr and get one pass you can't go back but if you start Jr. get titled you can do both till you get your Sr title. As well it adds more time and tests you get to do with your pup.
Phild
hunter

Postby SoupSandwich99 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:09 pm

Bcarroll wrote:People tell me dont bother with jr test but I dont want to skip. 2 water and 2 land delivery to hand not problem. I really injoy working with the dog more than I thought I would. Iv started working him with other dogs around to try to prepare for bunch of dogs and detractions.I'm located in Arkansas.

If you have never handled your dog at a hunt test before, would encourage you to run JH or started in HRC (or both) because you need the line time to get over your nervousness. And the first thing I would do for each venue is get a set of the rules and learn them. It's hard enough to pass without getting tossed on some easily avoidable technicality.

Go back and read phild's post, and then read it again about 100 times. The dog that comes off the tailgate the day of the hunt test will likely not resemble the dog you are used to working with in the backyard. I could water ski behind my dog coming out of the blinds.
SoupSandwich99
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:43 pm

SoupSandwich99 wrote:
Bcarroll wrote:The dog that comes off the tailgate the day of the hunt test will likely not resemble the dog you are used to working with in the backyard.

X's 2!
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Phild » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:00 pm

Dakota Creek wrote:
SoupSandwich99 wrote:
Bcarroll wrote:The dog that comes off the tailgate the day of the hunt test will likely not resemble the dog you are used to working with in the backyard.

X's 2!

X's 3

ha ha haaa too funny, Gauge is 52 lbs soaking wet and heels and sits amazingly alone.....I was a skier that day. Two steps and 3 heels then sit, wait two more steps and sit people must thought I was nuts sitting my dog so much but that was the only way she would go with out pulling me.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:37 pm

Phild wrote:
Dakota Creek wrote:
SoupSandwich99 wrote:

X's 2!

X's 3

ha ha haaa too funny, Gauge is 52 lbs soaking wet and heels and sits amazingly alone.....I was a skier that day. Two steps and 3 heels then sit, wait two more steps and sit people must thought I was nuts sitting my dog so much but that was the only way she would go with out pulling me.

Later
Phil

I learned quickly that when getting ready to be called to the line go and air the dog good but away and have a short come to Jesus meeting before even getting to a holding blind. with the slip lead get away from every one to air and walk at heel anytime she got out of line a quick snatch on the lead walk some more get out of line another quick snatch fixed everything just to let her know I was still the boss. doing it just gets a lot of the nerves for her and me out of the way and makes life at the line a lot better.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby skelso98 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:26 pm

krazybronco2 wrote:
Phild wrote:
Dakota Creek wrote:
SoupSandwich99 wrote:

X's 2!

X's 3

Later
Phil

I learned quickly that when getting ready to be called to the line go and air the dog good but away and have a short come to Jesus meeting before even getting to a holding blind. with the slip lead get away from every one to air and walk at heel anytime she got out of line a quick snatch on the lead walk some more get out of line another quick snatch fixed everything just to let her know I was still the boss. doing it just gets a lot of the nerves for her and me out of the way and makes life at the line a lot better.

I agree with all the above. I will also add when you go into the holding blind, turn the dog so it's facing the gallery, not the blind itself. They are much less curious when they can look out and see something other than a fabric wall in front of them. The next thing i do is make the dog lay down in the holding blind. This re-establishes control right before you go to the line.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD
skelso98
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum