frusterated

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

frusterated

Postby Johnyd883 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:26 pm

im in the process of force fetching my dog but she can not transition to the ground no matter what i do she wont pick a bumper off the ground, any suggestions?? :mad:
Johnyd883
hunter

Re: frusterated

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:46 pm

might help some people help you if you can explain what you did before you went to the ground with the dog and the bumper.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Ecardona » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:37 pm

If you are frustrated put the pup up walk away give a day or 2 and focus on OB the pup can sense the frustration if nit you will do more damage then good crawl, walk then run
Ecardona
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:59 pm

66.6% of the posts so far are right on. If your dog is not understanding it's because you have not made yourself clear on what ou want it to do. Back up, go slower, don't get frustrated and try again. Like I tell my dogs...eazy boy.......Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby Tanner01 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:44 pm

I transitioned my dogs from ear pinch to E-collar and for fetch off the ground I found low steady pressure worked well and when the pup was stuck a little movement by pushing it or kicking it helped a lot for them to pick it up. Hope it helps, off the ground is the last big hurdle in force fetching your almost there.
Tanner01
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:33 pm

Assuming you've taught a good steady hold already and have the dog fetching with a pinch from your hand.

Some dogs don't understand when you go to ground and your hand is removed from the "picture".

Generally, when I have a dog reliably driving to a hand-held bumper at the furthest distance I can hold it from them and pinch, I will transition to the bumper close up again supported by two 2x4's with my hand holding the string. Then I remove one of the 2x4's with my hand holding the string....then no 2x4's still with my hand holding the string.

Eventually, I then step on one end of the bumper with my foot to have one end tilted up...no hand in the picture.

Then, go completely to ground. Make sure you're doing this in a clean place. Young dogs don't like grit from a sandy place.

Just some suggestions.
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby Ecardona » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:53 pm

Would I would do is find a HRC near by or a dog trainer to help on FF if FF is not done right or you make shortcuts it will be harder on you and take longer
Ecardona
hunter

Postby Bcarroll » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:41 pm

Man I'm not a dog trainer but my dog can defintley pu on me be aggrevated or flustrated. So I try to keep my cool
Bcarroll
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:28 am

Johnyd883 wrote:im in the process of force fetching my dog but she can not transition to the ground no matter what i do she wont pick a bumper off the ground, any suggestions?? :mad:

Questions(?):
How long has the dog been in FF on the table.
Did the dog understand concepts on the table.
What have you done to help the dog transition to the ground-
no matter what i do

What training material/methods are you using.

Some dogs transition easier than others. No reason to get fustrated, your dog picks up on that and all you'll be doing is adding more apprehension or confusion.
If you're having this much trouble you should go through the SAME progression as you did on the table, and that includes pinching an ear while the dogs' on the ground. You're "hammering home" the same concepts of what the dog learned on the table.

If you went to the ground and simply asked the dog to FETCH without any pressure, then this could be a big part your problem.
Hopefully you didn't prematurely go to the ground before the dog understood everything on the table.
If things aren't right on the table, they're not going to be "right" on the ground.
Don't forget-
Praise for success.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dogyak » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:44 am

swampbilly 1980 wrote:
Johnyd883 wrote:im in the process of force fetching my dog but she can not transition to the ground no matter what i do she wont pick a bumper off the ground, any suggestions?? :mad:

Questions(?):
How long has the dog been in FF on the table.
Did the dog understand concepts on the table.
What have you done to help the dog transition to the ground-
no matter what i do

What training material/methods are you using.

Some dogs transition easier than others. No reason to get fustrated, your dog picks up on that and all you'll be doing is adding more apprehension or confusion.
If you're having this much trouble you should go through the SAME progression as you did on the table, and that includes pinching an ear while the dogs' on the ground. You're "hammering home" the same concepts of what the dog learned on the table.

If you went to the ground and simply asked the dog to FETCH without any pressure, then this could be a big part your problem.
Hopefully you didn't prematurely go to the ground before the dog understood everything on the table.
If things aren't right on the table, they're not going to be "right" on the ground.
Don't forget-
Praise for success.

Right on point Swamp . It's just like teaching sit , he learns in the yard in a controlled setting . Once you taught the dog and you know that he understands , you take it to the park , training days , etc . You cannot rush FF and depends on the dog . Can you please tell us what FF program you are using , that would help to address your issues .
dogyak
hunter

Postby hockeynut » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:31 am

I am no expert at all with training dogs and defiantly no expert when it comes to FF. I FF my first dog over the winter and the one think I learned (as a beginner) is TAKE YOUR TIME and PRAISE when compliant and also call as many pro’s for any help and guidance.

Assuming “HOLD” is ingrained in the dog’s mind it sounds like you may need to throw the pup back up on the table and work on “fetch off the table” before tackling “fetch off the ground.”

When working on “fetch off the table” I started out holding the bumper with my right hand about 2 inches off the table and have my left hand ready to pinch. I would work on that for a week then move the bumper, with it still in my right hand, resting on the table. Again, did that for a week, and then I removed my right hand from the bumper and just worked on fetching off the table. If she baulked I would just hit the bumper with my right hand to reminder her and apply pressure while saying “fetch.”

Once I was satisfied she understood what was being asked of her I would then split the amount of time working on “fetch off the table” and working on “fetch off the ground”. Do 10 minutes of “fetch off the table” and then take her off the table and work the other 10 minutes working “fetch off the ground.” I also worked on “fetch off the ground” in the same room as working on “fetch off the table” so she could easily make the association between working off the table vs. ground. I am not expert by any means and you might think of what I suggested as totally BS but wanted to give you my insight. Your almost there and good luck!

If you’re not following a program – highly recommended that you do!
hockeynut
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:02 am

I'm in the same boat. Following "duck dog basics" w/a meeting with a pro once a week
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum