Duckhill kennels

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Duckhill kennels

Postby SDMF » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:02 am

hey folks, was doing some reading in one of my duck magazines. read an article by Robert Milner. I found it to be a good read so I looked up his kennel online. Duckhill. He sells British Labs. Seems to have a slightly different outlook on trials and lab breeding than some. He also advertises Legacy Labs? Dogs with a direct lineage/ pedigree back to the St. Johns Hounds of Newfoundland. So I guess my question is does anyone here own a dog from Duckhill? ever hunted with a dog from that kennel? and Being a hessie guy, is there that much difference in US Labs and Brit Labs? Thanks!
Jason
Team Rasputin: NEVER SAY DIE
SDMF
hunter

Re: Duckhill kennels

Postby OmegaRed » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:06 am

SDMF wrote:hey folks, was doing some reading in one of my duck magazines. read an article by Robert Milner. I found it to be a good read so I looked up his kennel online. Duckhill. He sells British Labs. Seems to have a slightly different outlook on trials and lab breeding than some. He also advertises Legacy Labs? Dogs with a direct lineage/ pedigree back to the St. Johns Hounds of Newfoundland. So I guess my question is does anyone here own a dog from Duckhill? ever hunted with a dog from that kennel? and Being a hessie guy, is there that much difference in US Labs and Brit Labs? Thanks!
Jason

oh jeez
Locked&Loaded wrote:
Ohio- what would it run me to have you drop by to rape my dog and set this boat on fire?
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Ecardona » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:34 am

And here we go
Ecardona
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:12 pm

Just quit while you're ahead!
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Chaws » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:41 pm

Puppy mill. I don't understand how people can't see that with the pure volume of litters produced on premisses every year.
Are you concerned about the future of hunting and access to land? Let your voice be heard. Visit http://.
Chaws
hunter

Postby vance80 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:55 pm

Chaws wrote:Puppy mill. I don't understand how people can't see that with the pure volume of litters produced on premisses every year.

Yup!!!
vance80
hunter

Postby labman63 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:34 pm

All I can say about this is from the little direct experience I have had with them. I have had two in for training and I sent the first one back after a couple weeks and told the owner to find him another dog(no drive, not interested in birds,hated to work,etc etc) They other one was not much better but I did get him somewhat started.
labman63
hunter

Postby SDMF » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:24 pm

Dayum fellas had no clue I was throwing sparks on gas! I was just bored at work and doing some reading.Some articles he wrote for a magazine. So I did a little researching and found his website. didn't look at breedings, so wouldn't have noticed all the litters.so I guess another question would be. are most Brit labs not as birdy as US labs?? is there a distinct difference In prey drive and enthusiasm in Brit labs? Again I don't have but a very small amount of knowledge about Labs (Chessie guy). just was curious. Thanks guys !
Team Rasputin: NEVER SAY DIE
SDMF
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:42 am

Pretty sure most of Milner's dogs go to the military for EOD work these days, so "puppy mill" would seem a misnomer. But he's painted a bullseye on his forehead by being critical of the American way with regard to retrievers.

Re: British vs US Labs, individual breedings are much more telling than where they took place. My all time favorite guest Lab was "Brittish," but so was one of the sorriest squirrels to darken our lodge. Good ones and bad ones, just like US Labs.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby HUNT24/7 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:10 am

I don't personally own a duckhill lab, but I do have some experience hunting over one. My friend & hunting buddy owns a female from there, she is 1.5 years old, amish trained & working on her master title. Last year she hunted from 6 months to almost 8 months old & was steady from the first hunt, she did amazing making over 550 retrieves last season, can't wait to hunt over her this season! She is birdy & has tons of desire to retrieve, she just doesn't act like a retard that can't sit still & shut up.

I know Milner catches a ton of S#*t, I haven't really looked into it though, but my personal experience with Otter has been awesome!
Heres a vid from her first ever waterfowl hunt, she is in lots of our other videos as well.
HUNT24/7
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:21 pm

I don't have a DH dog either, but I do have a Britt. Anyone who thinks they don't have drive doesn't know what they're talking about. The difference is when they are at home they have an OFF switch and are relaxed. I'll never own anything but a Britt. I love all labs but that doesn't mean they're all created equal. They each have there good and bad. Don't get sucked into having a certain kind of lab, get one that fits YOU regardless of where it's from. Mr Milner does not have a puppy mill and to say such is just wrong.
Nothing Runs Like a Lab...
SD/SHR, DixieBrit's Waterdog "Dream" Come True.
Member: Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby dogyak » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:58 pm

I frankly don't care weather a lab is british or American if it has the right characteristics .
dogyak
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:37 pm

HUNT24/7 wrote:I don't personally own a duckhill lab, but I do have some experience hunting over one. My friend & hunting buddy owns a female from there, she is 1.5 years old, amish trained & working on her master title. Last year she hunted from 6 months to almost 8 months old & was steady from the first hunt, she did amazing making over 550 retrieves last season, can't wait to hunt over her this season! She is birdy & has tons of desire to retrieve, she just doesn't act like a retard that can't sit still & shut up.

I know Milner catches a ton of S#*t, I haven't really looked into it though, but my personal experience with Otter has been awesome!
Heres a vid from her first ever waterfowl hunt, she is in lots of our other videos as well.

No bugs on that pup.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby GarDuck » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:57 pm

Dogyak nailed it there are stars in U.S. lines and many many terds the same is true of the brits. The on off switch is true for some brits and some americans. Personally I own a Brit that has an off switch after doing several 400+ yard retrieves and thats about the only time. I currently own one pretty fiery dog by British standards and am training two of his litter mates at our facility. One of his siblings is a perfectly tame house dog the other is a bit of a bozo. All of them are "birdy" and have more than adequate drive. All of them will be working in American tests and trials. What i'm getting at is there are no gaurantees and like with any hunting companion British, American, Chesapeake, or bearded dog the best thing you can do is watch the parents work look for proof of healthiness and working capability. Then hopefully pick the puppy and train them to be the companion you desire. A good trainer can make even the nuttiest dogs solid companions in the house and field. In fact one of the top Master National hall of fame dogs sleeps with her owner in bed after winning.
GarDuck
hunter

Postby boykinhntr » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:22 am

Love Duckhill dogs. I've hunted over several and owned 2. My current dog, Rooster, is extremely driven. In fact he is a little much in the drive department for what I like.

Mine is from TeX/Breeze, my hunting buddy has a boomer/Tara, another friend has a otter/Fiona dog, and there are several other local HRC people running theirs.

All very driven and talented.

Milners breeding program has gotten better over the years. You won't go wrong.
boykinhntr
hunter

Postby JC523 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:33 pm

I have one from there. Just turned 7 mos. old. As others have said, there are many different varieties in both strains. This male I have doesn't have an "off" switch. At least if he does, I haven't found it yet. He has been just short of a holy terror in the house (the worst "play-biter" I have ever seen and sometimes stubborn and hyper)......but I wouldn't trade him for anything. He's been a lot of fun.....sometimes annoying......but seems super smart. I would struggle to shoulder the title of even an amateur trainer at best, but to date, I have not had any problems getting him to do what I ask. Only in the house is he super crazy (but he is calming down some now.....just recently with the help of my 'ol friend Tri-Tronics). When we started training, much to my surprise, he was quite easy to work with. As of right now, I am working to polish him up on doubles....though he was able to pull it off on his first attempt (Friday).

I'm going to continue to work with him......and may have him ready before the 2013-2014 season ends. Mainly, he will be a goose getter in the fields. Our duck hunting is rather marginal at best.....so we spend more time chasing honkers. If I can just get him to remain steady, like he does while training, and pick up a goose or two.......I'll be happy.
JC523
hunter

Postby Gulfcoast » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:30 pm

Buy a breeding, based on the qualifications and characteristics you can observe in the parents. Don't buy a "kennel" name, don't buy a "geographic designation." Don't just buy a blending of "alphabet soup." Buy a puppy's genetics from the parents. Buy those genetics from a breeder who combined them for a reason other than to make a buck, and can tell you how they each compliment the other and compensate for the other. Beware of puppy mills. Beware of breeders that market by denigrating someone else's game.

Don't believe the BS that all UK FT line dogs are soft, or they all naturally deliver to hand, or train themselves, or are little angels in the house.

Don't believe the BS that all US FT line dogs are fire breathing psychos that will eat your couch and have to be trained with 2 x 4's, and lightening rods.

I have a HRCH MH "british dog" about to hit 500 and get her UH, and a SRSA HRCH MH*** x FC/AFC bred youngster. I love 'em both. I would kill to have my old brit dog over as a puppy now that I know more about training. If you are looking for a UK FT line dog, there are at least two places that have a history of producing dogs that run US tests and trials in addition to the UK driven stuff. I would look there first if I were in that market.
So many ducks, so little time . . .

HRCH Ellie Mae MH
Tipsy Puppy
Gulfcoast
hunter

Postby cfmckinn » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:44 pm

Chaws wrote:Puppy mill. I don't understand how people can't see that with the pure volume of litters produced on premisses every year.

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:
II Timothy 1:7
cfmckinn
hunter

Postby jerdogg » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:05 pm

Just don't buy a dog from a kennel name. Look at which pair you like, and do research on them. There are other good breders of British labs out there. My year old lab is the fastest dog I've been around. To the bumper or bird and back. His nose is super and he does deliver to hand. Crazy in the house if the kids are running, but settles down nicely when told. I trained him myself and I can say he has done everything thing to my liking. Good luck and get what YOU want.
jerdogg
hunter

Postby boykinhntr » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:24 pm

From a duckhill dog owner here is what I recommend.

Duckhill is a great place to buy a dog if you are going to train without an ecollar. That has nothing to do with their dogs but you get unlimited support from the kennel in this area. Mr Milner wants you to succeed and will help you with anything. Therefore you get a lot of post purchase support. I went by there for a game fair a few weeks ago. It got rained out but Milner grabbed Rooster and said let's see what we got. He worked with us on a few things then we sat under a tin shed and talked for 30minutes about dog training and the direction his kennel is going. I always like to hear him talk about his training. He tries to produce dogs that are easy for a novice to train. That means strong drive, off switch, smaller, and smart. He has done a pretty good job of doing that but in a liter not every dog will be calm.

Now Do not buy a dog from there if you plan to run FTs or get serious in Hunt Tests. Not because the dogs can't do it but because you won't get support from the kennel. If you buy a dog from a FTer they want to see their dogs excel. Therefore you get a lot of help throughout your training. DH dogs dont run those events so you will not be buying a proven FT dog. Buy a dog that represents what you want. Don't get a DH dog if you like larger labs. These dogs are small. 40-50lbs for female and 50-60lbs for male.

As far as characteristics of DH dogs, they are smart, athletic, small, and driven. In fact the ones I have seen have been a little hotter than many of the British dogs. Tex, Otter, And Angus produce extremely driven dogs. Boomer tends to throw more laid back "typical" British type pups. I don't know much about some of the newer ones. Sailor is an up and coming dog that Milner has been impressed with. I have seen him work and he is very nice. Big water entry and big runner but good manners. And Jake is supposed to be a rock star but I've never seen him.

The females were a bit of a mystery for a few years. Now he has culled them to the ones he prefers. They are smaller in the range of 40-50lbs. Generally soft and calmer.

If you want a good duck, pheasant, dove dog then I think most ppl will be pleased with a duckhill dog. Like any kennel, getting a pup is always a gamble. The good thing is there are a billion good labs to choose from. No excuse for not choosing a litter that is likely to produce what you want.
boykinhntr
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:59 am

corncob wrote:i love my big drown lab but he isnt not close to being the fastest dog i have

I'd expect a drown Lab to be quite slow.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby jerdogg » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:15 am

corncob wrote:
jerdogg wrote: My year old lab is the fastest dog I've been around.

you havent seen many dogs then.. i love my big drown lab but he isnt not close to being the fastest dog i have

I'm sorry I thought that I said that I have been around not THE fastsest dog YOU have been around..... :fingerhead:
jerdogg
hunter

Postby JC523 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:00 am

boykinhntr wrote:
Don't get a DH dog if you like larger labs. These dogs are small. 40-50lbs for female and 50-60lbs for male.

As far as characteristics of DH dogs, they are smart, athletic, small, and driven. In fact the ones I have seen have been a little hotter than many of the British dogs. Tex, Otter, And Angus produce extremely driven dogs.

How big is Rooster? Isn't he slightly over a year now?

My dog is out of Tex. I think he's gonna push 80-85 lbs at full maturity. The dam is Lucy. From what I understand, she is rather crazy.......which is likely why I can't find my dog's "off switch". Lol!
JC523
hunter

Postby boykinhntr » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:22 am

That's the biggest DH dog I've heard of. Rooster is 65lbs and 17 months. He's a very athletic dog. Lean and muscular.

He didn't have an off switch at that age either. He's just now calming down. But is pretty focused while hunting. Once he figured out the game he became pretty calm in the blind. Before that he was a pita.
boykinhntr
hunter

Postby JC523 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:31 am

boykinhntr wrote:That's the biggest DH dog I've heard of. Rooster is 65lbs and 17 months. He's a very athletic dog. Lean and muscular.

He didn't have an off switch at that age either. He's just now calming down. But is pretty focused while hunting. Once he figured out the game he became pretty calm in the blind. Before that he was a pita.

I was surprised at how big Tex was. He was also very lean and athletic looking. Mine is pretty lean now. I weighed him the other day.....but not sure how accurate my scales are. The last time I did that......there was a pretty significant difference with the vet scales. Right now, I'd say he's between 60-70 lbs. I'm hoping he doesn't get too much bigger. If he does.....that's ok too......just as long as he doesn't have hip problems. That's my main concern right now.

Mine is only wild in the house. I can take him somewhere.......and he is as calm as can be. At the vet office, he acts like an old dog around all the strangers and other animals. He also rides in the cab of my truck just fine too. I can't wait until he relaxes a little more inside though. I have noticed a big change in him over the last few months. Not nearly as bad as he was.
JC523
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum