Duckhill kennels

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Re: Duckhill kennels

Postby AnonymousDuck » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:11 am

corncob wrote:
rlvallee wrote:I don't have a DH dog either, but I do have a Britt. Anyone who thinks they don't have drive doesn't know what they're talking about. The difference is when they are at home they have an OFF switch and are relaxed. I'll never own anything but a Britt. I love all labs but that doesn't mean they're all created equal. They each have there good and bad. Don't get sucked into having a certain kind of lab, get one that fits YOU regardless of where it's from. Mr Milner does not have a puppy mill and to say such is just wrong.

north american labs dont relax?? :no: also you duck hunt with a Britt? or a British Lab?? huge DIFFERENCE

I guess if your being have OCD then differentiating between British and Britt is important. A Britt lab is the same, it's just slang, which I'm sure most people know. I had to get use to people calling British labs English labs up here, very wired. Samething though. I shouldn't have generalize about American labs, but I have never met one that wasn't a spaz or hot, at least till they're 8/9 years old. I'm sure there's a mellow one out there.
Nothing Runs Like a Lab...
SD/SHR, DixieBrit's Waterdog "Dream" Come True.
Member: Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:52 pm

corncob wrote:
rlvallee wrote:
corncob wrote:
rlvallee wrote:I don't have a DH dog either, but I do have a Britt. Anyone who thinks they don't have drive doesn't know what they're talking about. The difference is when they are at home they have an OFF switch and are relaxed. I'll never own anything but a Britt. I love all labs but that doesn't mean they're all created equal. They each have there good and bad. Don't get sucked into having a certain kind of lab, get one that fits YOU regardless of where it's from. Mr Milner does not have a puppy mill and to say such is just wrong.

north american labs dont relax?? :no: also you duck hunt with a Britt? or a British Lab?? huge DIFFERENCE

I guess if your being have OCD then differentiating between British and Britt is important. A Britt lab is the same, it's just slang, which I'm sure most people know. I had to get use to people calling British labs English labs up here, very wired. Samething though. I shouldn't have generalize about American labs, but I have never met one that wasn't a spaz or hot, at least till they're 8/9 years old. I'm sure there's a mellow one out there.

are lazy house cats too wound up for you?
hunted over Britts since i was 5 not a one was a lab
i was hoping your were man enough to buck the system and had a retrieving orange and white dog...

Well, I see somethings never change, you're still as obnoxious as I remember you on the refuge forum. So only Brittany's are allowed the slang term Britt? Amazing you personally can throw that slang rule out there. Why don't you just be honest with people and tell them you hate "BRITISH" labs, that is your MO after all. :moon:

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby Gulfcoast » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:02 am

The kool-aid is getting deep. Anyone who believes "British" FT labs won't run like a bat outta hades if trained to do so is nuts, ignorant or dishonest. Anyone who believes that US FT labs are housewreckers and spazes is nuts, ignorant or dishonest.

I have a HRCH MH about to be 500 point dog from UK field trial lines, and have spent much more time around British dogs than most of the annoying "UK dogs are the shizzle, US dogs are crazy folks" who populate internet forums, and I have NEVER heard UK line dogs called "Britts," and never heard a UK style trainer that had actually accomplished anything in that game in the UK or over here insult US dogs. I am willing to learn from ANY style trainer, as long as they can show me the dogs they have trained have the chops.

Dogs don't care where they are from, they care how they are trained. When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
So many ducks, so little time . . .

HRCH Ellie Mae MH
Tipsy Puppy
Gulfcoast
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:59 pm

corncob wrote:
rlvallee wrote:
corncob wrote:
rlvallee wrote:
corncob wrote:

are lazy house cats too wound up for you?
hunted over Britts since i was 5 not a one was a lab
i was hoping your were man enough to buck the system and had a retrieving orange and white dog...

Well, I see somethings never change, you're still as obnoxious as I remember you on the refuge forum. So only Brittany's are allowed the slang term Britt? Amazing you personally can throw that slang rule out there. Why don't you just be honest with people and tell them you hate "BRITISH" labs, that is your MO after all. :moon:

i have never been on the "FUGE" i dont see two T's in british so yes only Britts be Britts
you havent spent much time around other breeds if you think labs are high strung or dont have a off switch

The chances of someone having this same screen name has to be astronomical, so okay If you want to argue over slang regarding Brit(t), then fine, live the drama. Yes, you're correct about the double T's, it's just slang, who cares, if it makes you feel better then I'll acquiesce. But, you are taking me out of context with my original post. What i was trying to say was that British labs are "generally" more relaxed at home than the average American lab. It wasn't met as an insult. I'm sure there are many American labs that are relaxed around the house (again, generalities). The slang and generalities are just that. I know nothing about Brittney's, but I wasn't speaking of them, you brought them up because I put an extra T in a slang word, oh my the travesty. The point I was trying to make and will stand by is the issue of drive. Both American and British Labradors have the drive and for people to say one has less then the other is wrong. I further stated I love both, American and British labs, but I'm partial to British labs, my choice and opinion. People should get whatever dog that suits them.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:52 pm

corncob wrote:and my screen name there is not Corncob. out of the millions of people on BB's im sure there are more then 1 corncob its not like its a unheard of word.

I'm guessing that the majority of those with the name served time and got the nickname for a reason...
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Locked&Loaded » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:02 pm

corncob wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:
corncob wrote:and my screen name there is not Corncob. out of the millions of people on BB's im sure there are more then 1 corncob its not like its a unheard of word.

I'm guessing that the majority of those with the name served time and got the nickname for a reason...

let me guess you have a United Kingdom bred Lab.does corncob mean something to you Mike? you like playing with them?
and my prison name is Mike Vick

I own a Chessador -- from a planned breeding of a British lab and Yankee Chessie. It's the best of both worlds really.

Something about you makes me think your prison cell mate referred to you as 'the homecoming queen.'
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Nate_C » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:05 pm

This whole UK versus US labs is a joke. There are very good UK dogs out there sure. However, there are some realities though. First the US breeding stock of field labs is 10 times larger. Second the number and types of competitions and the variety of skill sets they are looking for are many times larger and much more diverse then the UK. From All-Age field trials that are looking for drive and out of this world marking ability to HRC Grands that are looking for control. That allows breeders to better manage traits. If you want a fire breather go FC to FC, if you want a calm hunting dog you can breed to low key Grand dogs or you can mix them.....ect..... Lastly, there are 20 times more wild bird hunters (not shooting ducks that someone threw from a tower) in the US then in the UK that breed and train real working dogs and know what is needed.

So with that I would say why do people give any stock to UK bread dogs? I think it is marketing. It sounds cool and you throw up some pictures of a guy with a Barbor jacket and wool pants and everyone wants to be the cool sophisticated British guy. If you cannot be the guy then at least you can own his dog.

Places like Duckhill, and wild rose spend a lot of time and money on this marketing but the reality is they are puppy mills. Not in terms of treatment I am sure they treat all their dogs very well and I have never heard otherwise. I am just talking numbers here. I saw on a Duckhill article that they produce 2-300 dogs per year. Almost all those breeding are with his own studs. Can you really maintain quality with those numbers? I am sure many people have solid dogs from all the UK breeders in the states but is pretty good the goal? I have trained/hunted with 3 of them and they where all just fair hunting dogs. I have seen a good number also going to traditional american style trainers to be fixed. Why pay top dollar for a fair dog. Do yourself a favor, rather then go to these UK breeders and pay 1000-1200 for a average pup just because the kennel was in GQ magazine. Go on the boards like this one and hunt test boards and find a solid MH to MH breeding with all the health clearances for 700.00 and you will end up with a better dog.
Nate_C
hunter

Postby J-WOW83 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:46 pm

My brother in law and another friend of mine has 2 dogs from duckhill. The dogs are as advertised and they have been satisfied customers. Really smart, really calm house pets and great in the field. The support you get and training method is great. He does breed a lot of dogs but it is not a puppy mill in the sense that we all picture as a horrible unsanitary place. Do your research on breeders, look at their operation and feedback from customers, and then make your decision on a where you get your dog. It's all about what fits you. For me personally- I have a free lab that is "American" and she's badass. But my next dog will come from a British bloodline type kennel from a reputable breeder because I have seen several nice dogs that have come out of that ideology and it fits me. Good luck!
J-WOW83
Newb

Previous

Return to Hunting Dog Forum