Be Careful...

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Be Careful...

Postby jimmyscott » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:09 pm

These topic threads are a dime a dozen, but unfortunately I have to add mine to the list. I lost my hunting buddy yesterday on a dove hunt. I didn't run him hard, but it was just too hot. Let my loss be another lesson to everybody to be careful on these early season hunts.

Here's to Scout, the best dog I could have ever asked for!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378145374.354152.jpg
jimmyscott
hunter

Re: Be Careful...

Postby Grey Dog » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:35 pm

Very sorry to hear of your loss. Any way you slice it our buddies are with us for way too short a time but it is especially tragic when one goes too soon.

Thanks for the reminder.
GD
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby Rutin » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:39 pm

Hate to hear that.... sorry bud
Sargent Taylor's Hevi-Shot (Sarge)
Great Ballz of Fire (Maverick)
Rutin
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:00 pm

Sorry to hear it, but good of you to put your sad experience out there for others to learn from.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby dogyak » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:33 pm

Man that's tough , so sorry for your loss
dogyak
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:11 am

corncob wrote:i feel bad for the dog....was there something wrong with him? or just an irresponsible owner.

Im too polite to print what I think of this post :mad: :mad: :mad:

very sorry to hear you lost your buddy, good on you for sharing so we can all learn from your loss
go get yourself a pup soon and get back in the saddle...nothing as sad as an empty kennel in the yard.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:48 am

Sorry to hear that!!!!! Sucks learning a lesson that way

I never take my dog dove hunting anymore!! NOrmally just far to hot!! Not worth it
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:18 am

Sorry to hear. I always carry a cooler of ice water in for my dog and every retrieve check het mouth for feathers. Its tougg losing a friend. I'm sure u never realized or u would have stopped.
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:27 am

jimmyscott wrote:These topic threads are a dime a dozen, but unfortunately I have to add mine to the list. I lost my hunting buddy yesterday on a dove hunt. I didn't run him hard, but it was just too hot. Let my loss be another lesson to everybody to be careful on these early season hunts.

Here's to Scout, the best dog I could have ever asked for!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378145374.354152.jpg

Jimmy, sorry for your loss. I know it hurts. Could you tell us a little about what happened, like the temperature, how much did the dog do, did you see any signs, just some detail that might help us know what to look for and what not to do.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:35 pm

corncob wrote:i feel bad for the dog....was there something wrong with him? or just an irresponsible owner.

what an a**h*le.....

Ya details please, did he die while yall were hunting or after the hunt, signs? Do not let this discourage you as a hunter, know to many guys that have quit hunting after loosing a dog, my cousin included saw it first hand eventually he got back in it and got a new dog.
txhunter90
hunter

Postby razorback » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:34 pm

Jimmy sorry for your loss.

Assuming he was hunting near where he lives the temps were in the mid 90s for a high.
razorback
hunter

Postby boykinhntr » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:50 pm

Man that sucks and is a big concern. If you were hunting in Arkansas the conditions were brutal. High heat with really high humidity. It was a double whammy. I hunted early with Rooster and I was drenched bc of the humidity.

I am sorry for your loss. Every year a few good ones go down during dove season. Easily the most dangerous of all hunting and once you notice the signs it's usually too late.

Prayers to you and your family.
boykinhntr
hunter

Postby Raves24 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:56 pm

Corncob,

A man just lost his best freind and hunting companion and this is how you treat him. I'm sorry to say that you are what is wrong in this world.

Jimmy i am sorry for your pain. I hope myself or my family never have to go through what you have.
Raves24
hunter

Postby jimmyscott » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:23 pm

ibedamn wrote:Jimmy, sorry for your loss. I know it hurts. Could you tell us a little about what happened, like the temperature, how much did the dog do, did you see any signs, just some detail that might help us know what to look for and what not to do.

It was nice outside when we left the house, but the temperature rose while we were out there. I think the thing looking back that I noticed was heavy panting. Honestly, I didn't run him hard. He made a couple retrieves before he seemed tuckered and I didn't send him anymore. I did give him some water while we were out there. I did everything that we've done plenty of times together before. Another sign that I didn't know in the moment is he seemed to be sluggish with his back legs. I rubbed his legs and hips pretty good to see if he might have injured them, and it didn't seem to bother him. I just thought he was exhausted. When we got home, I ran some water over him, and he went and laid down. I brought the water bowl to him to drink and he drank some. By the time I realized he had had a heat stroke, it was too late.

Was I an irresponsible owner? I guess some will make that judgment. However, in the moment I did everything I knew to do. I would never have done something that I thought would hurt my buddy! Of course I feel the guilt because it was my decision to take him hunting. Though, the only reason I took him dove hunting is because I felt he would enjoy it and it would get him ready for teal season. I personally hate dove hunting! I hate even more now!!! I wish with everything inside me that I could take back that decision! The advice I would give people, and that I will heed myself, is to refrain from taking your dog on days that are over 85ish degrees. And if you do, make sure it's on a day when your regular veterinarian is open!
jimmyscott
hunter

Postby jimmyscott » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Thanks to each of you for your kind words! The impetus for my being vulnerable to the judgement of others in submitting this thread is simple concern for you and your dogs. I don't want you to feel this pain!
jimmyscott
hunter

Postby pk38 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:50 pm

I havve had mine a few weeks and my wife and I couldn't imagine a tragedy like this.....sorry bud
DU Chapter Sponsor at Morris Innovative High School
Hoping to bring duck hunting to disadvantaged youths
pk38
hunter

Postby boykinhntr » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:27 pm

jimmyscott wrote:
ibedamn wrote:Jimmy, sorry for your loss. I know it hurts. Could you tell us a little about what happened, like the temperature, how much did the dog do, did you see any signs, just some detail that might help us know what to look for and what not to do.

It was nice outside when we left the house, but the temperature rose while we were out there. I think the thing looking back that I noticed was heavy panting. Honestly, I didn't run him hard. He made a couple retrieves before he seemed tuckered and I didn't send him anymore. I did give him some water while we were out there. I did everything that we've done plenty of times together before. Another sign that I didn't know in the moment is he seemed to be sluggish with his back legs. I rubbed his legs and hips pretty good to see if he might have injured them, and it didn't seem to bother him. I just thought he was exhausted. When we got home, I ran some water over him, and he went and laid down. I brought the water bowl to him to drink and he drank some. By the time I realized he had had a heat stroke, it was too late.

Was I an irresponsible owner? I guess some will make that judgment. However, in the moment I did everything I knew to do. I would never have done something that I thought would hurt my buddy! Of course I feel the guilt because it was my decision to take him hunting. Though, the only reason I took him dove hunting is because I felt he would enjoy it and it would get him ready for teal season. I personally hate dove hunting! I hate even more now!!! I wish with everything inside me that I could take back that decision! The advice I would give people, and that I will heed myself, is to refrain from taking your dog on days that are over 85ish degrees. And if you do, make sure it's on a day when your regular veterinarian is open!

Hearing this I really don't think you could have seen this coming. I hunted my dog in the same conditions as did all of my friends.
boykinhntr
hunter

Postby razorback » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:15 pm

jimmyscott wrote:

Do you train regularly? I think a lot of these issues arise when both hunters and dog spend months sitting around and once season hits they jump in with both feet. Not saying that was the case here, just an general observation.
razorback
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:40 pm

WOW I am sorry for you and your bud :sad: It almost happened to me too. It had been raining all night went for some pheasants the next morning I just figured there would be enough water for him to keep cool but the ground just sucked it up. When I realized he was overheating we were still a couple of miles from the truck had my boy run to the truck to get his water while I just got him in the shade. Got some water in him then carried him the rest of the way. Whew that was close and I never go without bringing water now. Not your fault!! Sorry again for you and you family :sad:
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby fax6202 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:59 pm

You and your companion are in our thoughts and prayers!
fax6202
hunter

Postby Duck_Popper » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:36 am

corncob wrote:all of you are made at me? i didnt have anything to do with the dog or his death.
i said i felt sorry for for the dog!!!! and asked if there were any trouble with his health.
i have never lost a dog do to heat,and never will
it just plain irresponsible...
you pillow biters think its fine to run your dog until the dog drops dead?
you guys into dog fighting too"

Wow mind blowing. No reason to take it this far.
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:35 am

this "ding dong" is pissed at your insensitivity.
if you carry 3 gallons of water with you for your dog...well good for you, when you lost your "pack" must have been 3 of more dogs to wear that title...so that makes 9 gallons...man you must have a blue cape and wear your undies on the outside :no:
this fella made a judgement call that turned to custard and cost the life of his buddy he then had the balls to openly say what had happened to help others to not make the same mistake. good on him. I believe he needs support from fellow hunters not finger pointing and being called an irresponsible owner.
Ive had a dog go very slow and not come when called up hunting wallabies on a hot day,got her into a creek and cooled off walked her out and took to vet(he said shed been beaten up by a wallaby)
as for asking if others are into dog fighting???? where do you get off dude :huh:
NO ONE here has accused you of child molestation just because you watch coronation street....have they???
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:31 am

jimmyscott wrote:

Jimmy, I want to thank you for sharing that. I'm sure your story here will prevent some future tragedies. It sure has made us all think about the dangers of summer heat. Over the years I have also made the mistake of taking the dog because I knew they wanted to go, even when maybe it was best they didn't go. I think I'll wait till Oct. to take mine back out. And again sorry for your loss.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:59 am

Jimmy sorry to hear about your loss and thanks for sharing your tragedy. I think we can all learn something from this and maybe it will save someones dog in the future. Keep your head and goood luck to you.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby jimmyscott » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:59 am

corncob wrote:im truly sorry for that dog. he was a great dog, wanting only to please his master and did it at the cost of his life.
i know what it feels like to loose a favorite dog, happens more then i want to think about.either buy black bear,mountain lion or wild hog. i even lost a pack great hounds that ran into a wolf pack. crap happens and it sucks...

First of all, I don't mind the debate that's going on in this thread. It's accomplishing my objective of keeping this thread at a place where the maximum number of guys can see this and be cautioned to be careful.

Second, last time I checked, hunting caries intrinsic risk with it. As dog owners, we should minimize that risk the best we can. Personally, I wish I could go back three days and apply the knowledge that I have today! However, I can't. The thing I can do is provide information to others so they don't make the same mistake. Corncob, I don't mean to make this personal, but I would have never put my dog in a situation where he could have been run into a pack of wolves. That's just me though. My point is that every one of us makes mistakes that we learn from.

Third, if you think my dog or any other dog goes out to hunt "only to please his master", then you don't know very much about dogs. Scout (and every other hunting dog) hunted because he loved it! We loved it together. The only time he ever did something just to "please his master" is illustrated in the picture below.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378302975.126032.jpg

Guys, thanks for your support! Happy hunting, and be careful!
jimmyscott
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum