Be Careful...

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: Be Careful...

Postby rivercountry » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:08 am

Hang on to those memories my friend and good luck with your next pup.
HAPPY HUNTING AND STAY SAFE :thumbsup:
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
User avatar
rivercountry
hunter
 
Posts: 841
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:25 am
Location: North Carolina


Re: Be Careful...

Postby sharris » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:19 am

Sorry to hear it. It is possible that there was an underlying medical problem that you didn't know about, especially if he was used to working under similar conditions.
User avatar
sharris
hunter
 
Posts: 954
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:23 am
Location: corn and cattle country

Re: Be Careful...

Postby lonestar_shawn » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:11 am

corncob wrote:
Duck_Popper wrote:
corncob wrote:all of you are made at me? i didnt have anything to do with the dog or his death.
i said i felt sorry for for the dog!!!! and asked if there were any trouble with his health.
i have never lost a dog do to heat,and never will
it just plain irresponsible...
you pillow biters think its fine to run your dog until the dog drops dead?
you guys into dog fighting too"


Wow mind blowing. No reason to take it this far.

just what was too far? me criticizing a mans actions in the death of his dog? or everyone jumping down my back thinking i dont care.
a dog/hunting partner/best friend is dead needlessly.
im truly sorry for that dog. he was a great dog, wanting only to please his master and did it at the cost of his life.
i know what it feels like to loose a favorite dog, happens more then i want to think about.either buy black bear,mountain lion or wild hog. i even lost a pack great hounds that ran into a wolf pack. crap happens and it sucks but this dog here didnt need to die. i never go to the dove fields with less then 3 gallons of water just to keep dogs cooled off.if the vet tells the OP there was an issue with the dog that caused the death and not a needless death due to extreme over heating then i will apologize to the OP, you and the rest of the ding dongs in here the are pissed at me
CORNCOB


At least the OP knows how to use capitals, punctuation, and grammar. :rolleyes:
lonestar_shawn
Newb
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:35 am

Re: Be Careful...

Postby Duck_Popper » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:19 am

jimmyscott wrote:
corncob wrote:im truly sorry for that dog. he was a great dog, wanting only to please his master and did it at the cost of his life.
i know what it feels like to loose a favorite dog, happens more then i want to think about.either buy black bear,mountain lion or wild hog. i even lost a pack great hounds that ran into a wolf pack. crap happens and it sucks...


First of all, I don't mind the debate that's going on in this thread. It's accomplishing my objective of keeping this thread at a place where the maximum number of guys can see this and be cautioned to be careful.

Second, last time I checked, hunting caries intrinsic risk with it. As dog owners, we should minimize that risk the best we can. Personally, I wish I could go back three days and apply the knowledge that I have today! However, I can't. The thing I can do is provide information to others so they don't make the same mistake. Corncob, I don't mean to make this personal, but I would have never put my dog in a situation where he could have been run into a pack of wolves. That's just me though. My point is that every one of us makes mistakes that we learn from.

Third, if you think my dog or any other dog goes out to hunt "only to please his master", then you don't know very much about dogs. Scout (and every other hunting dog) hunted because he loved it! We loved it together. The only time he ever did something just to "please his master" is illustrated in the picture below.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378302975.126032.jpg


Guys, thanks for your support! Happy hunting, and be careful!


Every time I come into this thread it hurts my heart. Can't imagine what you are going through. This picture is so awesome and a definite tear jerker.
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
User avatar
Duck_Popper
hunter
 
Posts: 738
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 1:48 pm
Location: Sacramento

Re: Be Careful...

Postby dogyak » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:56 am

Jimmy , first off thank you for putting all of us on alert when it comes too our dogs . Again I've very sorry for your loss . IMO I don't think this was a rookie mistake , why- cause he had hunted his dog in these conditions before . Sometimes things happen beyond our control , just look at us . We have done some things a 100 times without issue with our health , then 1 day we are sore or something and don't know why because it wasn't something we had not done before :huh: . But we can all take it as a lesson too watch with a better eye because Jimmy put it out there for us all too learn by . Tasteless remarks mean nothing to the true lesson here ! :welcome:
dogyak
hunter
 
Posts: 1030
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:18 pm
Location: FL

Re: Be Careful...

Postby jimmyscott » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:56 pm

I really appreciate all the encouragement!
jimmyscott
hunter
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:52 pm
Location: NE AR

Re: Be Careful...

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:01 am

good on you jimmy, as for the other...well Im leaving that alone.getting into a shitefight will help no one.
User avatar
Elvis Kiwi
hunter
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:16 am
Location: South Island New Zealand

Re: Be Careful...

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:40 am

real sorry about your dog, man. i hate hearing stories like this.
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
User avatar
Professor_Leakey
hunter
 
Posts: 2062
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:40 pm
Location: MASS

Re: Be Careful...

Postby jimmyscott » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:13 am

corncob wrote:(From post #35)
2nd thing they love to hunt i know very well. even my stock dogs love to hunt. but i never said only to please his master

corncob wrote:(From post #24)
im truly sorry for that dog. he was a great dog, wanting only to please his master...


You really are an idiot, aren't you?
Last edited by jimmyscott on Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jimmyscott
hunter
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:52 pm
Location: NE AR

Re: Be Careful...

Postby jimmyscott » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:57 am

jimmyscott wrote:You really are an idiot, aren't you?


From the dictionary:
Main Entry: id·i·ot
Pronunciation: \ˈi-dē-ət\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English
Date: 14th century
Definition: 1. (usually offensive) a person affected with extreme mental retardation, 2. a foolish or stupid person


I mean that label more in the sense of #2, but either way applies.
jimmyscott
hunter
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:52 pm
Location: NE AR

Re: Be Careful...

Postby rivercountry » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:01 am

You can educate ignorance but you can’t fix stupid. Don’t worry about it Jimmy some people just love to see themselves type. The rational people on this forum appreciate your purpose for posting your story and know you didn’t intentionally place your dog in harm’s way.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
User avatar
rivercountry
hunter
 
Posts: 841
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:25 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Be Careful...

Postby jimmyscott » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:12 pm

rivercountry wrote:You can educate ignorance but you can’t fix stupid. Don’t worry about it Jimmy some people just love to see themselves type. The rational people on this forum appreciate your purpose for posting your story and know you didn’t intentionally place your dog in harm’s way.

That is very true! And, unfortunately, the rational people usually go unheard. I just want you all to know that I have heard your encouragements. In addition, your comments have helped this thread stay toward the top so that more guys can be cautioned.
jimmyscott
hunter
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:52 pm
Location: NE AR

Re: Be Careful...

Postby 18javelin » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:49 am

I was always told to never put a dog up wet, if its hot they will steam themselves and if its cold they will freeze themselves... I will cool my dog down with water but always towel dry before they go to the kennel. don't know if anyone has heard that.
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
User avatar
18javelin
hunter
 
Posts: 3306
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:01 am
Location: Eckerty IN

Re: Be Careful...

Postby ibedamn » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:07 am

I wish more people would share experiences like Jimmys. I will say I have always feared heat stroke and tried to take precautions but this really got me thinking. I will be even more careful in the future. Unfortunately we learn more from our mistakes than we do sometimes from our successes and anything dangerous shared might save more than one dog. A guy's dog that trains with the same trainer I do somehow got out of his crate and ended up on the interstate. I don't know all the details but the dog did not survive. This guys mistake has made me put a double latch on my crate just from fear of the same thing happening somehow.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=276082

Also a great post on heat strokes. I have read it several times.
User avatar
ibedamn
hunter
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:06 am
Location: NC

Re: Be Careful...

Postby Edge » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:39 pm

Jim, I am very sorry to hear this. You actualy brought a tear to my eye because I lost the best dog I ever had or had even hunted with, to a drunk driver just last year. And I'm even more sorry that you had to read a comment like corn put up. You just kinda have to ignore ignorance.
User avatar
Edge
hunter
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Be Careful...

Postby Edge » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:44 pm

ibedamn wrote:I wish more people would share experiences like Jimmys. I will say I have always feared heat stroke and tried to take precautions but this really got me thinking. I will be even more careful in the future. Unfortunately we learn more from our mistakes than we do sometimes from our successes and anything dangerous shared might save more than one dog. A guy's dog that trains with the same trainer I do somehow got out of his crate and ended up on the interstate. I don't know all the details but the dog did not survive. This guys mistake has made me put a double latch on my crate just from fear of the same thing happening somehow.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=276082

Also a great post on heat strokes. I have read it several times.



I had someone come in my back gate one night and not close the gate. Sometimes there is just nothing that could have been done. It is life after all, and only God has controle over that, no matter how much we try to protect it.
User avatar
Edge
hunter
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Be Careful...

Postby Edge » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:54 pm

jimmyscott wrote:
corncob wrote:im truly sorry for that dog. he was a great dog, wanting only to please his master and did it at the cost of his life.
i know what it feels like to loose a favorite dog, happens more then i want to think about.either buy black bear,mountain lion or wild hog. i even lost a pack great hounds that ran into a wolf pack. crap happens and it sucks...


First of all, I don't mind the debate that's going on in this thread. It's accomplishing my objective of keeping this thread at a place where the maximum number of guys can see this and be cautioned to be careful.

Second, last time I checked, hunting caries intrinsic risk with it. As dog owners, we should minimize that risk the best we can. Personally, I wish I could go back three days and apply the knowledge that I have today! However, I can't. The thing I can do is provide information to others so they don't make the same mistake. Corncob, I don't mean to make this personal, but I would have never put my dog in a situation where he could have been run into a pack of wolves. That's just me though. My point is that every one of us makes mistakes that we learn from.

Third, if you think my dog or any other dog goes out to hunt "only to please his master", then you don't know very much about dogs. Scout (and every other hunting dog) hunted because he loved it! We loved it together. The only time he ever did something just to "please his master" is illustrated in the picture below.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378302975.126032.jpg


Guys, thanks for your support! Happy hunting, and be careful!



If you don't mind me saying so Jim, I don't think Scout is very happy sitting next to that Benelli..... :wink:

One more thing, the only thing that helped me was going out and getting another dog right away. I buried my dog in the back yard, and I couldn't walk outside without getting all teary. It may help.
User avatar
Edge
hunter
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Be Careful...

Postby gonehuntin' » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:45 pm

Jimmy; so sorry to hear about the dog. It happens, some dogs are more prone to it than others. A dog doesn't have to be fat to die in the heat. Anyone's remember SD several years ago when 110 KNOWN dogs died on opening week end?

It can happen so fast that you don't have time to save the dog. I had a setter that would go like Hell, then just wobble and keel over. Boom. You'd have to hold him down and cool him or he' keep on running.

I think the jerk posting now, "Corncob" came by his name honestly. Running a pack of hounds in wolf country is a Hell do a lot more irresponsible than hunting a dog in hot weather. If a dog couldn't be hunted in the heat the guys down south would be out of luck.

From what I can see of that dog, judging by his head, he sure doesn't look fat to me.

Hunting with a dog has it's hazards; mighty be hunting in hot weather, might cb hunting in wolf country, might be hunting near a road or in the ice. It's a game fraught with hazards and we just do our best. What we don't do is stop hunting because it's too hot, too cold, too near a road.

Next week end is opening of grouse and I'll be out there in the heat, in wolf country, and near some roads.
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
User avatar
gonehuntin'
hunter
 
Posts: 2389
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: Be Careful...

Postby jimmyscott » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:55 pm

Edge wrote:If you don't mind me saying so Jim, I don't think Scout is very happy sitting next to that Benelli..... :wink:


Crazy thing is I bought that Benelli the month that I got Scout, and I sold it a week before he died. If that's not a bad omen, I don't know what is! And I don't even believe in bad omens.

Thanks for the kind words and advice. It may be a little while before we get another, but I'll get back to it sooner than later.
Last edited by jimmyscott on Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimmyscott
hunter
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:52 pm
Location: NE AR

Re: Be Careful...

Postby jimmyscott » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:07 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:From what I can see of that dog, judging by his head, he sure doesn't look fat to me.


Yeah, the guy hiding behind his computer didn't know me or my dog. Scout was anything but fat and lazy, but there's no sense in trying to convince that guy. And I'm about as deliberative of a person that I've ever known. I wouldn't have put Scout in a situation that I didn't believe he could handle. He's used to hot weather, and we've hunted much harder than that. But, again, that guy just wants to have his preconceived notions of who he thinks people are. Truth is, accidents happen. My caution to everyone is just an effort to share my experience. Thanks for your helpful comments.
jimmyscott
hunter
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:52 pm
Location: NE AR

Re: Be Careful...

Postby jimmyscott » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:12 pm

ibedamn wrote:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=276082

Also a great post on heat strokes. I have read it several times.


That is a great article. Wish I had seen it before!

Here's another picture that I ran across the other day. I loved this dog!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378606329.837744.jpg
jimmyscott
hunter
 
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:52 pm
Location: NE AR

Re: Be Careful...

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:06 am

my old bitchs eyes would change colour when she was getting near her limit in the heat...kind of hard to explain but the brown got all reddish flecks through it...time to head for a creek quicksmart. my brother in law taught me early on to get your dogs to "have a drink" and "have a swm" on command...he rums 6 or so stock dogs. it sure is a handy command to have as you can be hunting up on a ridge and send your dog down to creek and get them to laydown and cool off before hunting back up to you, or just wait there till you come down. many a time they put wallabies out of the scrub down by the creek while doing it.
havent heard anyone here talk about ripping pads off their dogs feet either :huh: thats why Kiwi high country shepherds run so many dogs,one good run in shale country can tear pads clean off, they limp along beside boss then have a few days off to recover. Ive done it exercising dogs beside the pushbike on a warm day on concrete foot paths.if you guys get caught out with torn pads a couple of layers of insulation tape loosely wrapped around whole foot will keep your buddy wandering along with you.
User avatar
Elvis Kiwi
hunter
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:16 am
Location: South Island New Zealand

Re: Be Careful...

Postby Willie » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:05 pm

corncob wrote:all of you are made at me? i didnt have anything to do with the dog or his death.
i said i felt sorry for for the dog!!!! and asked if there were any trouble with his health.
i have never lost a dog do to heat,and never will
it just plain irresponsible...
you pillow biters think its fine to run your dog until the dog drops dead?
you guys into dog fighting too"

Go away clown
User avatar
Willie
hunter
 
Posts: 3811
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:52 am
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC

Re: Be Careful...

Postby dogyak » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:41 pm

Willie wrote:
corncob wrote:all of you are made at me? i didnt have anything to do with the dog or his death.
i said i felt sorry for for the dog!!!! and asked if there were any trouble with his health.
i have never lost a dog do to heat,and never will
it just plain irresponsible...
you pillow biters think its fine to run your dog until the dog drops dead?
you guys into dog fighting too"

Go away clown

Thought the same thing Willie , no class ! :thumbsup:
dogyak
hunter
 
Posts: 1030
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:18 pm
Location: FL

Re: Be Careful...

Postby copterdoc » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:22 pm

He might not have class. But, he had a valid point.
How sorry do you feel for the Parent, that loses the Baby, that they left in the car, that they parked in the hot Sun?

I'm glad that the OP testified their experience, to help educate others to avoid making the same mistake.
But, that doesn't automatically convert guilt to innocence.
User avatar
copterdoc
hunter
 
Posts: 5862
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:55 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests