Guidance

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Guidance

Postby hockeynut » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:47 pm

This might be a dumb question -- I have two wingers out about 70 yards and are 90 degrees to one another. I have her at heel command “MARK” launch the first bumper, command “MARK” and launch the second bumper and then release her on her name for that second bumper. Once she comes back at heel, which command do I release her on – her “name” or “back” for that first bumper? I am assuming I release her on her name because it is a bumper she saw fall and not “Back” which is a command used for blind retrieves and she knows to go straight until she finds the bumper or hears a whistle.

I am just confused because when she comes to heel I line her up for that first bumper and it’s kind of like lining her up for a blind retrieve minus the “dead bird, good, back” verbage. Thanks.
hockeynut
hunter

Re: Guidance

Postby copterdoc » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:14 pm

As long as you are consistent, and she understands the situation, it really doesn't matter.

Most, send their dogs on marks (including memory marks) by their name, and on blinds with "BACK".
copterdoc
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:02 pm

As CD said, and might I add, without sarcasm, I really don't think your dog cares which you release her on. Just that you released her! It's a matter of preference to the handler.

While most handlers release for marks on the dog's name and release for blind retrieves on "back", many, including myself, release the dog for everything on their name. Makes no difference to the dog, only difference may be to a dog "honoring" when and if they hear a loud "back" and they think it's their release command. (Reason I only release on name)
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby hockeynut » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:47 am

Ok - that all makes sense. Ill keep it consistent between when I use Back and her name. Thanks for the advice!
hockeynut
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:57 am

not sure if you do but alot of people use a cue to remember where the memory bird is normally not needed but on the memory bird after i have taken the go bird out of the dogs mouth i will cue "wheres your mark" and get her to lock into where the bird is and let her sit for a second then release her. some use "remember" or "mark" but i did find it helps her focus on where the memory bird landed and she normally steps on the bird or has a short hunt. if i send her quickely and dont let her focus it can end up being bad with her running all over the place.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby hockeynut » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:41 am

I have not used a que for the memory bird – but I will start now! When we practice blind retrieves I usually que her as follows – “dead bird” to get her to look out, then “good” once she looks in the direction of the bird then “back” to release her. For the memory bird, however, once she comes back I will take the go bird, command “good” once she is looking at the memory bird then release her on her name. I hope that makes sense!
hockeynut
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:30 am

hockeynut wrote:I have not used a que for the memory bird – but I will start now! When we practice blind retrieves I usually que her as follows – “dead bird” to get her to look out, then “good” once she looks in the direction of the bird then “back” to release her. For the memory bird, however, once she comes back I will take the go bird, command “good” once she is looking at the memory bird then release her on her name. I hope that makes sense!

it does and sounds like you already have a cue just use "good" if she is looking at the direction of the fall of the memory bird.
krazybronco2
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum