Getting "Down" down

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Getting "Down" down

Postby dysco » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:06 pm

My lab is 16 weeks old and I started working on the Down command yesterday. I had her sit on the slippery kitchen floor and said "down" while gently pulling her front paws straight. She picked it up today without intervention, but continues the move to flop on her side, stretch out, and wait for a rib rub. :lol3:

While it's adorable, I don't want to perpetuate what may end up being a hassle. I tried correcting her several times to the down but ready position to no avail. Do I change location, continue correcting, or just go with it and wait for the side-lying position to become too much of a PITA for her when there's a bumper on the line?
dysco
hunter

Re: Getting "Down" down

Postby TrapperRob » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:17 pm

I found with my dog rolling over. I would ignore that behavior and not respond until she sat up. Then I would resume giving her the down command. Then give her praise when she layed down. Hope this helps, by the way I'm not a pro.. And have no idea what I'm dong most of the time, but she's 11 and lays down...
I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-Henry David Thoreau
TrapperRob
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:08 pm

It won't become a hassle, when she has sufficient motivation to remain "up".

I don't care if she's laying on her back when you say DOWN in a distraction free environment.
She won't be so compliant, when she has sufficient incentive to do otherwise.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:31 am

Am sure there's probably a better way, but I just give a visual signal, say the command -down, (while the dogs on a front SIT and looking at you like you're an idiot), and walk right to the dog, stand in front of it, repeat the signal and the command and take both front legs and pull them to me untill the dog is DOWN, and repeat the command again, and repeat the steps again, and again, and again , sometimes 20,000 times- (ok maybe not that many :wink:).
Make him stay down.
The fun starts here.

When you get to the point that when you give the command, and the dog doesn't comply, when you get halfway to the dog and THEN he lays down automatically, you're halfway there in this venue :lol3:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Duck Diver » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:32 pm

I introduced my pup to down with treats. Only worked so so, i have an issue that he won't go down unless my hand hits the floor. The verbal command alone doesnt seem to do it for him.
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby dysco » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:43 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try to wear her down over the next week or so and see what she does. She's been selective about what command she listens to. She's still really young, so I'm not too concerned if I have to keep a whistle by the back door to get her inside instead of using "here". :lol3:
dysco
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:20 am

dysco wrote:Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try to wear her down over the next week or so and see what she does. She's been selective about what command she listens to. She's still really young, so I'm not too concerned if I have to keep a whistle by the back door to get her inside instead of using "here". :lol3:

This changed from "down" to here....

But I'll tell you what several on this board told me. Put your pup on a check cord and don't take it off. Letting it run free in the backyard is going to make it harder on you and the pup.
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:02 am

I start training "Down" as one of the first commands. Do it on the couch, watching TV with little 10 week old pups. Then progress to "Down " on a leash, then check cord and then remote with an e-collar. When doing remote down, in the learning stage, they will return to you, that safe zone, to go "Down" at your feet. Just tell them "NO" and take them back to the spot where they were when you gave the down command, put them down and walk away. Call them, then "Down" again. Repeat until they get it. By the time they are about 6 months old they will "Down" on the run at remote distance. Once they understand "Down" you will be able to get them down a long distances, as they can hear you. Works great for when the geese are coming in and you want them down where they are, in mid retrieve.
Fun to see 3 dogs working a stubble field, whistle one time and give the hand signal and all 3 mutts disappear into the stubble.
I use a single whistle and a hand signal. When we are hunting quietly I will often just use the hand signal and they will all hit the deck.
Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby dysco » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:31 am

Duck Diver wrote:
dysco wrote:Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try to wear her down over the next week or so and see what she does. She's been selective about what command she listens to. She's still really young, so I'm not too concerned if I have to keep a whistle by the back door to get her inside instead of using "here". :lol3:

This changed from "down" to here....

But I'll tell you what several on this board told me. Put your pup on a check cord and don't take it off. Letting it run free in the backyard is going to make it harder on you and the pup.

Nahh, I'm comfortable with where she's at with "here", just making a joke.
dysco
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum