Freezing Mallards?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Freezing Mallards?

Postby Rich- » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:17 pm

How long will a mallard last for training purposes, before it starts getting nasty/a foul odor when freezing it for training and letting them thaw for training?
Rich-
hunter

Re: Freezing Mallards?

Postby copterdoc » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:57 pm

Once you thaw them, don't re-freeze them.

Keep them as cool as you can during the day, and put them in the fridge at night.
They'll last about a week during the summer.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:28 am

i have 4 or 5 ducks in my kitchen freezer that have been thawed and refrozen 3 or 4 times over the summer and they have not stunk up the the freezer but they do have a nice little smell when they thaw out but nothing to bad and im guessing i have just a few more uses before i have to get rid of the oldest ones.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Gulfcoast » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:44 am

If used only on land, and allowed to fan dry for a few minutes before refreezing, I can get about 6 sessions from a duck before it starts falling apart. The "falling apart" bugs me, it does not phase the dogs.
So many ducks, so little time . . .

HRCH Ellie Mae MH
Tipsy Puppy
Gulfcoast
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:21 pm

Land use, just 1 dog, can get 4-5 refreezes out of them! Like said let them air dry a little.. Wrap them in newspaper to soak up moisture.. Put in frig for a while if you can. (I have spare frig so Mrs. doesnt kill me!! :wink: plus they sink) then put in freezer! I have about 30 in the freezer and just roatate which ones i get out to use that day.. BUT would caution using older ducks on young pups!!!!! I always use the freshest or new ducks on the pups and older birds on the older dogs!

Water use, just 1 dog, maybe can refreezer once...
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby tubbalowski » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:50 pm

Typically about 2 - 3 times. I use the foodsaver to vacuum seal after thawed before putting back in the freezer. I think it helps a little at least.
tubbalowski
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:49 am

I dont use food saver bags!!! I want them to breath and let the moisture out!! Food saver bags hold everything in
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby tubbalowski » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:29 am

You trapping moisture either way if you freeze, so that's a non-starter. Food saver bags keep air out.
tubbalowski
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:50 pm

tubbalowski wrote:You trapping moisture either way if you freeze, so that's a non-starter. Food saver bags keep air out.

keeping them wrapped in news paper draws alot of moisture out before the it freezes and i will unwrap the bird when it comes out of the freezer and wrap it in new newspaper to help draw any extra moisture out as it is thawing. for birds used in the water i let them hang dry and before i go to bed pat them as dry as i can with news paper and repeat the same process as i did for birds used on land and they come out looking pretty good normally missing more feathers but still dry and fluffy. works pretty good just have to have alot of newspaper laying around (helps that i get old news papers from the rents once a week)
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby tubbalowski » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:18 pm

krazybronco2 wrote:
tubbalowski wrote:You trapping moisture either way if you freeze, so that's a non-starter. Food saver bags keep air out.

keeping them wrapped in news paper draws alot of moisture out before the it freezes and i will unwrap the bird when it comes out of the freezer and wrap it in new newspaper to help draw any extra moisture out as it is thawing. for birds used in the water i let them hang dry and before i go to bed pat them as dry as i can with news paper and repeat the same process as i did for birds used on land and they come out looking pretty good normally missing more feathers but still dry and fluffy. works pretty good just have to have alot of newspaper laying around (helps that i get old news papers from the rents once a week)

:thumbsup: I'll try it.
tubbalowski
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:48 pm

I got a huge stand up freezer out of The Shopper for $100 about 10 years ago. It's still going strong.

When I run a FT, judge, work a trial/test...I grab every bird I think I can get a session out of...as long as the club allows to part with the bird.

You can re-hab marginal birds by hanging them and fanning them in front of one or two simple box fans. Then, freeze them.

My best "score" was 60 birds from a hunt test I judged. They were throwing them away, but I took them and salvaged almost all of them by fanning and freezing. I put the marginal birds on the top freezer racks knowing I might get only one session out of them, but hey....birds are birds...lol
CatSquirrel
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum