More Help!

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

More Help!

Postby hockeynut » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:09 am

As opening day approaches I have some questions for proper technique in setting up gear with a dog. This is my first season ever with a dog and I am still learning! When you guys set up the decoys, blinds, etc. do you guys allow your dog to walk or run in the water as you set up the decoys or do you put the dog in the truck while you set up or command the dog to stay in the blind (or dog blind) while setting up?

I only ask this because as the colder temperatures approach I don’t want my dog to start out the hunt waiting in the dog blind freezing from being in the water cuz she was running around while I set up the decoys. I have vest for her and will be using that for every hunt.

Thanks
hockeynut
hunter

Re: More Help!

Postby QuackHead89 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:41 am

First thing I do if I'm hunting in the swamp is put the dog's stand on the tree and have him get on it. Doesn't matter if its warm or cold. Now I tend to move with a greater sense of urgency if its cold, I don't want the dog standing in water or swimming because I'm taking my sweet time. Vest or no Vest. He sits there while I set everything up. If hunting one of my other spots where I'm not hunting in water, I place hime where he'll be during the hunt and he just sits there while I do my set up shindig.
QuackHead89
hunter

Postby sharris » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:52 am

I keep my dog sitting on shore while I set up, but it really doesn't matter what you do. If your dog can handle multiple retrieves and then sitting in the blind, it can handle a quick pre-hunt swim. Just make sure when it gets out of the water it has a dry place to sit. And of course, all dogs should be monitored for signs of hypothermia throughout the hunting trip.
HR Annie Git Your Gun
Bird Retrieves for 2014-15 Season
Duck: 24
Dove: 4
Pheasant: 40
sharris
hunter

Postby Edge » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:04 am

I don't mind a young dog running throught the hole a time or two to help stir up the water, as long as he isn't being a pain about it. And he should already be trained with decoys before the first hunt. A trained dog will usually get on his stand as soon as it is put up.
Edge
hunter

Postby hockeynut » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:20 am

Thanks all for the help so far! Sounds like I should keep her in her dog blind once I start setting up. She is already well trained with decoys, mojo’s and whenever I set the mutt hutt up she high tails straight for it. So I should set mutt hutt up first then set decoys – makes sense.
hockeynut
hunter

Postby dogyak » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:03 am

For me , hunt out of a jon boat with no trees around in a marsh . It's still dark when setting of , so I let her do her thing , kind of like letting her air out . She's really amped up when we get there , so this lets her mellow out some :yes:
dogyak
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:17 pm

Early season i dont worry to much about it.... But once it starts getting cold dog stays in boat or they get on their stand!! Try to keep them as dry as possible
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby dogyak » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:13 pm

i_willie12 wrote:Early season i dont worry to much about it.... But once it starts getting cold dog stays in boat or they get on their stand!! Try to keep them as dry as possible

I'm in Florida Willie , don't get cold like that here :yes: , but if I was in your weather conditions , I would follow your plan :thumbsup:
dogyak
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:27 am

hockeynut wrote:As opening day approaches I have some questions for proper technique in setting up gear with a dog. This is my first season ever with a dog and I am still learning! When you guys set up the decoys, blinds, etc. do you guys allow your dog to walk or run in the water as you set up the decoys or do you put the dog in the truck while you set up or command the dog to stay in the blind (or dog blind) while setting up?

I only ask this because as the colder temperatures approach I don’t want my dog to start out the hunt waiting in the dog blind freezing from being in the water cuz she was running around while I set up the decoys. I have vest for her and will be using that for every hunt.

Thanks

If it were me, I'd try to establish a standard early on- let pup "participate" in the morning chores and begin to understand the routine without any mischief.
Gives you an opportunity in real time situations to apply, and re-enforce some understandings- like for example,..when pup trys to get into your "snack bag" after that juicy sausage bisquit while he knows you're pre-occupied with something else :wink:
Or, when you're tossing/setting decoys from the boat or shore with the young and inexperienced -
Pups' not supposed to retrieve each one you toss :biggrin:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Hunting Dog Forum