Conditioning

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Conditioning

Postby Edge » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:48 am

What do ya'll do to get the dog ready for hunting season? I run my dog two miles every day with a swim in the middle. It keeps us both in shape, well at least him.
Edge
hunter

Re: Conditioning

Postby dogyak » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:08 am

Swim swim swim :thumbsup: . Don't like to do a lot of running on surface unless doing a land set-up for training . I feel its let wear and tear on the joint's . Swimming is the best for conditioning and building muscle IMO .
dogyak
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:41 am

i just train year round almost every day with a break here and there. then you dont have to worry about the first hunt if they will remember what to do because training as much as you can keeps the dog in pretty decent shape, still working and using the old coconut. also not everyone is into running hunt test but i like running them not for the ribbons (which are fun to get) but gives me a reason to train year round and to make us a better team when hunting season comes in.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby gonehuntin' » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:20 pm

If you train a lot, a retriever doesn't have to be conditioned. Unless you hunt the uplands. If I'm conditioning an upland dog, they run 6-10 miles a nite, four times a week alongside my mountain bike at about 11-13mph. The speed doesn't matter as long as the dog is working hard.
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:40 pm

All throughout the hot summer months, I swim the heck out of my dog. As things have now started cooling off just a bit, I've been running 2-3 miles a few days per week. For us hunters and the dogs, I've learned it's a lot easier to just keep in shape all year as opposed to gettin fat and happy in the off-season and then trying to trim up just prior the hunt season.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Edge » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:30 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:All throughout the hot summer months, I swim the heck out of my dog. As things have now started cooling off just a bit, I've been running 2-3 miles a few days per week. For us hunters and the dogs, I've learned it's a lot easier to just keep in shape all year as opposed to gettin fat and happy in the off-season and then trying to trim up just prior the hunt season.

I firmly believe this, I think it helps both in hot months as well as cold months.
Edge
hunter

Postby tubbalowski » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:48 pm

About 40 min of retrieves a day (pile work, blinds, etc.).
tubbalowski
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:01 pm

Peake's penchant for game and endorphin makes him largely self conditioning, so about the only special pains we take are to get him in as much flotant similar to the marsh we hunt as we can without feeding a gator:

If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Edge » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:33 pm

That's pretty much how we are Rick, after the dog is 2 or 3 he pretty much knows the ropes and I back off the road work and training to a certain degree. When they are young however, 6 months and on I treat em like little body builders, I want em toned and fit. It also does me a world of good. Look at the chest on this dog.
Edge
hunter

Postby Edge » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:41 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:If you train a lot, a retriever doesn't have to be conditioned. Unless you hunt the uplands. If I'm conditioning an upland dog, they run 6-10 miles a nite, four times a week alongside my mountain bike at about 11-13mph. The speed doesn't matter as long as the dog is working hard.

I train 10 -15 minutes a day, that is not enough conditioning for me. I have to ad running and swimming. But I am also training while we run and we do some water drills, so I guess it adds up.
Edge
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:43 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Peake's penchant for game and endorphin makes him largely self conditioning, so about the only special pains we take are to get him in as much flotant similar to the marsh we hunt as we can without feeding a gator:

I like the exit from the "launching pad", Rick. :thumbsup:

Excuse my ignorance because I don't live in gator country, but I'm just curious, what kind of checking do you do in that type of terrain to verify it's gator-free and safe for pup?

And to think my biggest concern is mosquitoes.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Griffdom » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:54 pm

Not to hi jack the thread but I was told by a guy I plan to hunt with in arkansas that it might be best to leave my dog at home and retrieve my own ducks when I come down due to the gators. Do they not go into hybernation?

I run my dogs at least 30 minutes most days during the week and about an hour on weekend days. The dog in question is a GSP and she puts on some miles in this amount of time. My griff stays closer and is just a pup.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby dogyak » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:54 pm

Griffdom wrote:Not to hi jack the thread but I was told by a guy I plan to hunt with in arkansas that it might be best to leave my dog at home and retrieve my own ducks when I come down due to the gators. Do they not go into hybernation?

I run my dogs at least 30 minutes most days during the week and about an hour on weekend days. The dog in question is a GSP and she puts on some miles in this amount of time. My griff stays closer and is just a pup.

Well you just Hi-Jacked it :biggrin: . To answer your question though , I myself don't used my dog on early teal season . I don't know where your hunting at , but I'm in northeast florida and the place we are hunting at got some big gators . I've seen some bigger than my jon boat , so not worth the chance . Gators love dog by the way , saw one get a dog a few years ago and not a pretty sight :sad: . I highly recommend you don't use your dog .
dogyak
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:05 am

Locked&Loaded wrote:Excuse my ignorance because I don't live in gator country, but I'm just curious, what kind of checking do you do in that type of terrain to verify it's gator-free and safe for pup?

Unless they're males dragging the ditches for tail during their Spring breeding season, big gators are generally going to want to be near deep, fairly open water for security and ease of hunting. Meaning shallows well away from deep water, where they can't hide, and deep water, like that in the video, carpeted with flotant, that precludes effective hunting, are generally safe from those big enough to see dog on the menu. But it's still wise, I think, to avoid anything much over 4' in those big gator free spots, just because they're unpredictable and may injure a dog out of curiosity or cussedness. Here's a little "farm release" that turned right around and bit the air boat after I let him go:

So you just don't know when they'll do something surprising. And most dogs seem to be lost around boat launches and such one might think gators would avoid because of all the human activity. There are very few, well studied, deep waters I'll work my dogs in until water temps hit the low 60s and the gator's metabolism slows to the point they quit eating. Also have to be careful during teal season while hunting safe flooded rice or other shallows that Pup doesn't chase a crip into trouble. We caught this plenty big enough fellow in a maybe 20' wide rice drainage yesterday morning:
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:08 am

:eek: That thing is huge!
At least the rattlesnakes we try to avoid leave us a body.
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:37 am

Thanks, Rick. I'll admit it, I'm nowhere near as tough as you guys who hunt the same marshes as gators. I'd wet my pants if I saw that thing in my duck pond!
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Griffdom » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:51 am

Rick Hall wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:Excuse my ignorance because I don't live in gator country, but I'm just curious, what kind of checking do you do in that type of terrain to verify it's gator-free and safe for pup?

Unless they're males dragging the ditches for tail during their Spring breeding season, big gators are generally going to want to be near deep, fairly open water for security and ease of hunting. Meaning shallows well away from deep water, where they can't hide, and deep water, like that in the video, carpeted with flotant, that precludes effective hunting, are generally safe from those big enough to see dog on the menu. But it's still wise, I think, to avoid anything much over 4' in those big gator free spots, just because they're unpredictable and may injure a dog out of curiosity or cussedness. Here's a little "farm release" that turned right around and bit the air boat after I let him go:

So you just don't know when they'll do something surprising. And most dogs seem to be lost around boat launches and such one might think gators would avoid because of all the human activity. There are very few, well studied, deep waters I'll work my dogs in until water temps hit the low 60s and the gator's metabolism slows to the point they quit eating. Also have to be careful during teal season while hunting safe flooded rice or other shallows that Pup doesn't chase a crip into trouble. We caught this plenty big enough fellow in a maybe 20' wide rice drainage yesterday morning:

Impressive Gator!! So, if the water is below 45-50 you would not have a problem hunting any water where you live?
Griffdom
hunter

Postby dogyak » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:24 am

Rick , they say a gator won't mess with anything that's bigger than them . That little fellow in your picture didn't look too scared to me !
dogyak
hunter

Postby Edge » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:42 am

He just roled him over and rubbed his belly, he'll be out for an hour at least......... :wink:
Edge
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:21 pm

Griffdom wrote:So, if the water is below 45-50 you would not have a problem hunting any water where you live?

By the Louisiana big duck season in mid November, I'm swimming my dogs everywhere unless, perhaps, there's an extended period of unseasonably warm weather. The low 60s or below water temperature being enough to shut their metabolism down beyond hunger came from Texas Parks and Wildlife and seems about right, so 45-50 should be quite safe. Gators don't hibernate and will be out sunning on nice winter days, but shouldn't be eating, so I'd think a dog would have to get close enough for a defensive strike to be in any danger.

The coyote will be teal hunting in the marsh with us starting tomorrow, but he'll be ferried across deep water and only be used to retrieve birds on heavy flotant well away from open water. I'd not risk that with a dog that's OB wasn't rock solid.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:28 pm

dogyak wrote:Rick , they say a gator won't mess with anything that's bigger than them.

I don't know who "they" is, but I know they don't know pecans about alligators. Right after snapping this photo, I hit this old gal with a stick for trying to come over the side of a running airboat. She sat back and watched while we picked her eggs, but something about cranking the engine flipped her switch, and here she came...
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Edge » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:38 am

Not much out there that is bigger than a gator. We have to wait on the tee box sometimes for them to cross the fairway... :eek:
Edge
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:31 am

Rick Hall wrote:
dogyak wrote:Rick , they say a gator won't mess with anything that's bigger than them.

I don't know who "they" is, but I know they don't know pecans about alligators. Right after snapping this photo, I hit this old gal with a stick for trying to come over the side of a running airboat. She sat back and watched while we picked her eggs, but something about cranking the engine flipped her switch, and here she came...

HOLE - E - CHIT!
quacknstack6 wrote:
I'm as good once as I ever was isn't your theme song OG. I hate to burst your bubble.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Return to Hunting Dog Forum