wont pick up Goose

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

wont pick up Goose

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:08 pm

Hi,
One of my hunting partners has a 2 or 3 year old lab that wont pick up a Goose, stands there and tears at the feathers, great retriever of ducks. Mine is about same age and also a great duck retriever and as I discovered today after an early goose hunt, mine does the exact same thing.
Should we just go back to putting a Goose wing on a bumper to get them used to it or maybe try something different?

Thanks
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Re: wont pick up Goose

Postby Fatback » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:23 pm

This conversation came up today with some buddies, about some dogs not liking the scent.... interested in thoughts too!
Saying things taste "gamey" is a sign of poor taste
Fatback
hunter

Postby gonehuntin' » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:28 pm

Everyone's going to tell you to force the dog including me, but it's hunting season and that isn't an option now. Try playing with a SMALL goose. Throw it with a string on it , tease the dog, make it fun. Jealousy works wonders. Take an expweienced dog and throw a goose for it. Keep the other two on a leash. Make a big deal of the other dog when it brings the goose in. Do this a couple of times. Now keep the other dog at heel, throw the goose, and turn one or BOTH of the others loose and see what happens.

A goose is a large and intimidating bird. Don't get upset. Take it easy and let nature take it's course.
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Postby eastcoastsoxfan » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:11 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Everyone's going to tell you to force the dog including me, but it's hunting season and that isn't an option now. Try playing with a SMALL goose. Throw it with a string on it , tease the dog, make it fun. Jealousy works wonders. Take an expweienced dog and throw a goose for it. Keep the other two on a leash. Make a big deal of the other dog when it brings the goose in. Do this a couple of times. Now keep the other dog at heel, throw the goose, and turn one or BOTH of the others loose and see what happens.

A goose is a large and intimidating bird. Don't get upset. Take it easy and let nature take it's course.

Thanks, I actually kept a small goose today for training. My friends dog has been force fetched, he says going to try and get him used to scent with a goose wing, I might do same at first.
"The old school hunters shoot what they shoot and kill as many as they always have, the newbies have their 3.5."
eastcoastsoxfan
hunter

Postby Tanner01 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:17 pm

I used the other dog technique with my GSP. She was swimming around her first goose encounter, a cripple. She was unsure what to do, so I sent my griffon who swam up behind it and she just grabbed it. When she retrieved it to me I threw it out for the GSP as a happy fetch, goose tried to swim away but the GSP was not to be denied. Problem solved.
Tanner01
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:30 pm

Mine was not enjoying geese retrieves a week ago either. But I had one saved from last season to train her with.
Did like gonehuntin said. Keep it fun and exciting. It's big, heavy and intimidating the first time. Throw it out there have them fetch. When she tryed to pull feathers I told her No-Fetch! If that didnt work three fingers under her collar, and she knew what was coming next and grabbed any part of that goose she could get ahold of. Then alot of praise and good dogs. Once fetching then holding and running around with a 12 pounder she became acustom to it. She likes to hold them right at the base of the neck. But at 55 pounds can carry it fine.
Work with it for a week and keep there tail up they will get it.
20130910_171342.jpg

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:04 pm

my old dog only did it once...she was old and crook(big C we didnt know it then) it was on the ground and a couple of hundred yards from us and we couldnt get to her for ditches, looking back I believe it was frustration on her part too big and too far. never did it on water so maybe thats a good place to start...water retrieve..they cant really stand and pull feathers when swimming. Ive tried to teach our cocker to retrieve from the neck as he really struggles with big birds...saying that his first 2 retrieves were canada geese only about 5 meters to tow them to shore but tow them he did :thumbsup:
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:04 am

Remember when you started to train your puppy you introduced everything you wanted your pup to retrieve .... First a sock or paint roller, then a bumper, then went to feathers? Just because they picked up a pigeon didn't mean they would pick up a duck or a dove. Just because it has two wings and flies doesn't mean they will automatically bring the bird back if they don't know what it is ... They all smell different, "taste" different are different sizes.

They easiest way to transition your dog to different retrieves is to do your homework in the yard .... Doesn't have to be a long session .... Just a quick new bird introduction with a couple of retrieves. Will make the first new bird hunt in the field a lot more fun for both you and the dog!
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Drake's Bay Super Duty (2004 - 2013)
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:02 am

you are so right about the taste thing. starlings and magpies are two that some dogs dont like...must be too oily or some thing???
my dogs loved to retrieve blackbirds or sparrows off the lawn after they got an air rifle pellet in them but the other 2 werent so popular and got spat out as quick as she could deliver them.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:56 am

Dakota Creek wrote:The easiest way to transition your dog to different retrieves is to do your homework in the yard .... Doesn't have to be a long session .... Just a quick new bird introduction with a couple of retrieves.

Further to this .... be at a hunt test and handlers realize that the club is using a bird they have never trained on before .... like chuckars or pheasant! Suddenly you will see handlers asking if they can "borrow" a bird before the test begins to allow the dog to smell and try picking it up.

This year's Canadian National Hunt Test had handlers doing "additional" training as it was being held in Cap Tourmende, Quebec ... the snow goose capital of the world! Every handler knew that snow geese would be the bird of choice for the judges in several of the tests, so wanted to ensure their dog was familar with the smell and taste before the first test began! First test - land triple with a blind between the marks .... birds used .... snow geese! :smile:

If you are new to trying your hand at hunt tests .... the birds being used in the tests are "usually" listed on the test premium / entry information, so you can check to make sure your dog "knows" the birds before you arrive at the line!
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Drake's Bay Super Duty (2004 - 2013)
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby shane019 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:46 am

I took my dog to the field for the first time this year and he wouldn't pick up a duck or a goose. He would run to them sniff a bit then go to the next one. He did grab a couple birds and bring them part way but, would drop them and go check out another one. I guess it didn't help with 6 guys shooting either but, I wanted to get him in the field. I took a goose and a duck home and was throwing them in the River and he retrieved everytime. So I have been working on force fetch with a bumper and goose wing. Hopefully next time out I can go alone and he will preform

Shane
If it Flies it Dies!!!
shane019
hunter

Postby shane019 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:54 am

I took my dog to the field for the first time this year and he wouldn't pick up a duck or a goose. He would run to them sniff a bit then go to the next one. He did grab a couple birds and bring them part way but, would drop them and go check out another one. I guess it didn't help with 6 guys shooting either but, I wanted to get him in the field. I took a goose and a duck home and was throwing them in the River and he retrieved everytime. So I have been working on force fetch with a bumper and goose wing. Hopefully next time out I can go alone and he will preform

Shane
If it Flies it Dies!!!
shane019
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:28 am

try him on singles only or wait till the shooting has stopped and YOU have time to give dog proper attention and it might improve. thats not a criticism by the way, just a maybe better way to get desired result. my old dog would retrieve any duck goose off the water but not on land (she obviously thought stuff you boss walk over and get it yourself :yes: ) she grew out of it /we got past that. once dog has singles down pat the rest could well fall into place.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby Boatman » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:45 am

one thing you have to remember when you throw a bird in the yard your scent is on that bird ,but in the field hunting your scent is not on that bird and they just have to get over it. took my dog 3 hunts to get over the smell of a fresh goose. so when you hunt and kill that bird wear gloves and throw that bird and make the dog bring it back.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:21 pm

thinking about this today...both my duck dogs have flushed Ive shot and they have both then retrieved feral cats without being told a word!!!!! now where is the preconditioning in that senario????
plurry funny when old girl carried soggy moggy all the way back to wee wifey who went to take it off her then realised what it was let out a screech and climbed up on ute to get away :yes: :yes: we nearly fell over laughing so hard.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:03 pm

I had a sweetheart female that was beat up by a winged Honker at about 6 months of age. Prior to that day, she had retrieved about 6 honkers but from that point on she would not. She would retrieve all other geese though. Is there a chance that either of the dogs have had a similar experience? ....mauser :wink:
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum