First seasoned test today

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

First seasoned test today

Postby krazybronco2 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:45 pm

today Belle and I ran our first seasoned test ever well come to find out she was not ready for the test like i thought she was. so what i learned today is if you think your dog is ready to run a test dont run it till you KNOW your dog is ready for the test.

we did have a positve for the day watched the test dog run and the go bird on the land double was landing on a dam right down the middle. Get belle to the line set her up looking at the memory bird to focus on it. watch the first bird go down switch the gun so i can shoot left handed (not have belle move just her head) and the go bird goes up and lands right in some high nasty cover. at that point in time i was worried but she got in there and hunted for a good while and comes up with the bird comes back and straight to heel and slams the memory bird. so at least we did good on the marks.

the blind is what got us lined her up and release her goes about 30-40 yards out and catches a wiff of something and goes dead right hit the sit whistle and nothing barely slows down hit the whistle again and finally get her to stop give her a left over cast she takes and starts to scallop a little back but then gets a wiff of something again and again some more whistle refusales 2 or 3 more times so i called her back in thank the judges and head back to the truck judges didnt even have to tell me i was done (might not have been out of it just yet). i just didnt want her thinking she could ignore whistles like a crazy person so like i said live and learn but if there is any advise i can give a new person to running hunt test dont run your dog till you KNOW your dog is ready.

tomorrow we will run but will be out of contention and just run everything except for the blinds. (one of the reasons i like the HRC)
krazybronco2
hunter

Re: First seasoned test today

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:36 pm

Sorry to hear Bronco.
But you know where you stand now and what to work on, To me thats a great positive for both of you.
And your advise is solid I will use it thanks.

Good Luck
Spry
Today is Pearls birthday the terrable 2s are here :wink:
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:07 am

Sorry Bronco, you will get her there I am sure. I will be in your shoes next week as far as Gunners first hunt test. Already nervous but, I am going out there and do my best to to do my part as a handler and let him do what he was trained to do and have fun.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:07 pm

Ended up running the marks in seasoned and got the honor of being the by dog and honor dog for a finished flight. Maybe the 2nd or 3rd true triple she had ever seen in her life. She did really well picked up all three stayed in the area really well and u talking about a happy handler after she picked up that 3rd mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:11 pm

Time and experience. ;-)
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:27 pm

CatSquirrel wrote:Time and experience. ;-)

yes a lot of experience was learned this weekend from personal to watching the finished flights. but got a lot of work before we get to the finished level the biggest is blinds and the second would be the good old happy feet at the line as birds are dropping.

funny story from the second time belle was the by dog the second time. guy bearly made it to the honor bucket so belle got to run again, all she had to do was pick up one mark so the honor dog could watch her work. well it ended up being a competition between me and the honor dog handlers of who could command sit the most time (think Belle won) but every one was laughing because it was none stop sit here heel sit sit SIT heel sit here sit. so needless to say we have some work to do because if there has been one of the many things I have seen/learned this weekend was a bouncing dog at the line is going to break just don't know when.

also Cat squirrel did read the breaking dog thread will start putting some of that to work at our next training day with the club because she doesn't get excited as much when we train with a pro and defiantly by ourselves just gets way to amped in a test like environment.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:02 am

test motto... When you can run a finsihed test at home your ready for seasoned test.. When you can run a qual at home your ready for finished.. Like you said go to the line KNOWING your dog can do this

It will come with time brother! :thumbsup: You and your dog will learn more and grow more in this time from seasoned to finished more than any other time
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum