Introducing dog to water

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Introducing dog to water

Postby Rich- » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:03 pm

What is the most effective way to get my dog comfortable in water? I throw bumpers into water and he steps in but won't commit to swimming out to retrieve them. He stands in the water near shore and whines.
Rich-
hunter

Re: Introducing dog to water

Postby Dakota Creek » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:34 pm

If you have another older dog .... toss some bumpers and they may just follow the older dog in. If not, put your knee boots / hip boots on (depending upon the age and leg length of the dog), wade out and make it fun with a bumper for them to wade in to follow you. If you slowly move back into slightly deeper water, they will wander out and find themselves suddenly taking a stroke or two .... bingo .... they're swimming! :thumbsup:
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:47 pm

I leave the puppy on the shore, grab his favorite toy, and go swimming. Play catch with somebody else with the toy and ignore the dog, it will come in when it is ready. Then praise it and pamper it, they will enjoy it. Of course, if it is cold out you need to brace yourself :yes:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:46 pm

Just saw your location .... Watch the water temperature. Make sure that it is warm enough so the pup is comfortable ... Ie doing it now before the water temps start to drop. You do not want to try to introduce a pup to the fun of water when the water is too cold!
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:09 pm

I like creeks. I would be on one side and the pup on the other. I have my big dogs chasing bumpers and work real shallow water getting the pup to run across. Then move to deeper and deeper parts of the creek until..Whal-la. Swimming.
Cold water is a consideration, but being in Alaska, well........ Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby romeocadet08 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:53 am

Another dog is one of the most "efficient" ways..
romeocadet08
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:36 am

If u don't have any body to help u or has an older dog. Start with a couple retrieves on land right next to the water the toss the bumper just in to the water where the pups feet have to get wet but not swimming, and keep tossing it just a little farther out in to the water. But remember u are working with a pup so keep the sessions and retrieves short and put the pup up on a high note. Come back the next day and start with a few retrieves where the pup has to get wet and keep working till the pup is swimming. And keep working till the pup is just going crazy to swim. O yeah for each retrieve the pup should get tons of praise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby jpeterson117 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:18 pm

Duckdon wrote:I like creeks. I would be on one side and the pup on the other. I have my big dogs chasing bumpers and work real shallow water getting the pup to run across. Then move to deeper and deeper parts of the creek until..Whal-la. Swimming.
Cold water is a consideration, but being in Alaska, well........ Don

This worked really well for my buddies puppy. He would go in until he lost bottom then turn around and head for shore. We went took him to a small creek that was deep. My buddy went to other side and Tucker followed right behind. Totally forgot he was swimming.
jpeterson117
hunter

Postby QuackHead89 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:42 am

Grabbed my waders and waded in when I introduced my boy. He ran along the bank whining, and eventually couldn't stand it and took right to swimming towards me. Plenty of praise. He's a big water entry kind of guy nowadays.
QuackHead89
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum