Speaking of heat stroke . . .

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Speaking of heat stroke . . .

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:58 am

Yesterday at the pheasant preserve: Temp 64 degrees, southwest breeze, ten and a half year old dog quartered 100 yards, made one 40 yard retrieve. I saw him appear to stumble once just before the bird flushed and thought he got hung up in the cover. He took off after the bird like a rocket, when he did not come back with the bird I went after him and found him down with the bird in his mouth. Got the vet on the phone as I hosed the dog down for 20 minutes and then went to the vet who was 5 minutes away. He had started to recover after hosing and tried to go back to the field. Temp at the vet was 103.5, don't want to know what it was in the field. Gave him fluids and put him under a fan, and when the temp came down took him home, he appears to be OK today.

This boy had some serious issues back in February that we think were caused by recalled dog food. I suspect that the reason he went down so fast (yes, it really did happen that fast) was tied to those issues despite the fact that we got him through them with no apparent after-affects, will be investigating that. I have no doubt that I would have lost him if this had happened where there was no access to cold running water, and if I did not have a 40 year relationship with a vet who was 5 minutes away and does his own emergencies 24/365 (God bless him!). I can't tell you how priceless it is to have a good vet who is there every time I have an emergency, day or night, instead of having to truck across town to see some stranger at the emergency clinic.

Like Jimmy said in the other thread, be careful; your whole life can change in the blink of an eye.
The lab and golden think: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; they must be gods."
The Chesapeake thinks: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; I must be a God."
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Re: Speaking of heat stroke . . .

Postby aclumpkin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:53 am

Great info and hope the dog is still doing ok / better!
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:06 am

aclumpkin wrote:Great info and hope the dog is still doing ok / better!

Thank you aclumpkin. This is the third time this year this boy has tried to die on me, after being incredibly healthy his entire life. It's getting old real fast (to say nothing of expensive!).
The lab and golden think: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; they must be gods."
The Chesapeake thinks: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; I must be a God."
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:21 am

I had a GSP pup, about 6 months old that was out training. Got spooked, by a dog sled team no less.... and ended up over heated. He was down for the count when I found him. I had a lake about 2 miles away. Took him there, got in the water with him and held him there for maybe 30 minutes before he could get control of his legs enough to walk. He is now over 10 and still getting around fine. Temp that day was mid 70's, humid and very heavy tree cover. I live in Alaska so you would not think heat stroke/exaustion would be a problem. Happens very fast. Good Luck Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum