Be careful pt. 2

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Be careful pt. 2

Postby go get the bird » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:48 pm

I'd like to remind all of those afield to watch for barb wire fences. My gal got a Little slice on one this weekend from a wire hidden in the grass. I only noticed it after she'd been back in her kennel licking at her leg. She made no sound, and kept on running like nothing happened.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379368035.102158.jpg

I was fortunate, it could have been her belly or face.

Keep an eye out fellas.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Re: Be careful pt. 2

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:25 am

Oh gosh, you're sooo irresponsible Go-Bird :lol3: :devil:

B.S. aside-
Vegetation over many years can completely engulf those old fence posts and wire. Can definately spoil a dogs' weekend if he tangles in it with some momentum behind him :eek:

Glad pup will be ok :smile:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Jarbo03 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:31 am

Dogs are tough, they don't give up their injuries easy. I deal with this a lot while upland hunting, I always keep a razor, medical tape, styptic powder and super glue in the truck.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:36 am

You must be a dog hater to allow your dogs to hunt in a field with barbed wire fences. :nana:

Hope she heals up quickly -- the hunt season is upon us, brother. :beer:
quacknstack6 wrote:L&L is right
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:41 am

Locked&Loaded wrote:You must be a dog murderer to allow your dogs to hunt in a field with barbed wire fences. :nana:

L&L-
FIFY :yes:
(And as long as it isn't over 102deg. you're ayy ok :wink: )
:beer:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:52 am

they are tuff!!! Had one run a stick through his chest couple months back!! Nice hole, hanging piece of skin... Just running around like nothing happened Took to vet, put him under, got him home... Never once acted like anything was wrong.. Never once licked it I kept him out of training for a week and he was pissed at me!!!!!!!!!!!
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:34 am

swampbilly 1980 wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:You must be a dog murderer to allow your dogs to hunt in a field with barbed wire fences. :nana:

L&L-

I initially felt that the term 'murderer' was a bit harsh ..... but if this so called fence was encountered on an especially warm day, go get the bird is a MONSTER!
quacknstack6 wrote:L&L is right
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby dogyak » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:01 am

Locked&Loaded wrote:
swampbilly 1980 wrote:

L&L-

I initially felt that the term 'murderer' was a bit harsh ..... but if this so called fence was encountered on an especially warm day, go get the bird is a MONSTER!

Corncob flashbacks :eek: :eek: :eek:
dogyak
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:43 am

you lot are just too much :help: :help:
:clapping:
another to look out for is seeds between toes or in corners of eye after being out in long grass.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby sdduckman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:08 am

i_willie12 wrote:they are tuff!!! Had one run a stick through his chest couple months back!! Nice hole, hanging piece of skin... Just running around like nothing happened Took to vet, put him under, got him home... Never once acted like anything was wrong.. Never once licked it I kept him out of training for a week and he was pissed at me!!!!!!!!!!!

My older dog did the same thing! Stick went in the side of his chest and out behind his leg. He made one little yelp but kept running and acted like nothing was wrong.
"There are only two true sports, hunting and fishing, anything else is just a game."
sdduckman
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:25 pm

sdduckman wrote:
i_willie12 wrote:they are tuff!!! Had one run a stick through his chest couple months back!! Nice hole, hanging piece of skin... Just running around like nothing happened Took to vet, put him under, got him home... Never once acted like anything was wrong.. Never once licked it I kept him out of training for a week and he was pissed at me!!!!!!!!!!!

My older dog did the same thing! Stick went in the side of his chest and out behind his leg. He made one little yelp but kept running and acted like nothing was wrong.

Amazing what they can handle. While phez hunting, at the end of a field my lab laid down and started rolling in the snow. When he got up there was a huge puddle of red bloody snow, he acted normal. Had a 1/2" hole where his leg creased while running, 4" of a stick was broke off inside.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:33 pm

Kinda like this? He never even checked up.
This sucks right before our first test!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank goodness for a good first aid kit.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum