Are eye injuries common? Preventable?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Are eye injuries common? Preventable?

Postby Natimage » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:35 pm

My 9 month old has been out dove hunting and goose hunting...and this past weekend I took a kid out for his first hunt and my pup's first duck hunt. She got 3 retrieves, mostly in the water but at point she was up on land running through brush and sticks and stuff...well the next I woke up and she wouldn't open her right eye...long story short, she had a 1mm long ulcer on her right eye and it was also swollen...Being that this is my first dog, and this was her first duck hunt...did we really get that unlucky or is it that common for eye injuries like this...she's stuck wearing a cone and having two different ointments being put in her eyes and they're hoping the swelling goes down so there isn't any damage to her eyesight. Is there anything to prevent this (aside from the goofy goggles)? I'm going to be worried about it now all the time though, what do you do to prevent this? Do you wash the dogs eyes out after every hunt?
Natimage
hunter

Re: Are eye injuries common? Preventable?

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:19 am

Natimage wrote:My 9 month old has been out dove hunting and goose hunting...and this past weekend I took a kid out for his first hunt and my pup's first duck hunt. She got 3 retrieves, mostly in the water but at point she was up on land running through brush and sticks and stuff...well the next I woke up and she wouldn't open her right eye...long story short, she had a 1mm long ulcer on her right eye and it was also swollen...Being that this is my first dog, and this was her first duck hunt...did we really get that unlucky or is it that common for eye injuries like this...she's stuck wearing a cone and having two different ointments being put in her eyes and they're hoping the swelling goes down so there isn't any damage to her eyesight. Is there anything to prevent this (aside from the goofy goggles)? I'm going to be worried about it now all the time though, what do you do to prevent this? Do you wash the dogs eyes out after every hunt?

Don't know how you would prevent eye injuries, short of only running the dog on the lawn. The guy I use for CERF eye exams is a big-time hunter and always notes the scarring on my older dog's corneas, pretty much par for the course. It has never seemed to affect their vision. The important thing is to check eyes right after a hunt/training session and get any injury treated immediately. It is usually pretty easy to tell when a dog has a serious injury to a cornea because it is extremely painful (I can attest to that via personal experience!), and the eye will spasm. Eye injuries can go bad real quick, they are one thing I don't mess with; if I even suspect a problem it's off to the vet pronto.
The lab and golden think: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; they must be gods."
The Chesapeake thinks: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; I must be a God."
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:48 am

we check our wee cockers eyes ears and feet after hes been out..... well I should say SWMBO does Im a bit slack. :no:
She
Who
Must
Be
Obeyed
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:39 pm

Injuries are part of the game. I always carry a bottle of saline to rinse out a dog's eyes. Seeds and dirt can quickly develop into trouble.

Anything more serious and I'm off to the vet.

Hope your pup heals quickly!
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:35 am

You mean like this?
josey1818.jpg

Frequent? I will say it's not an everyday thing.
I check for seeds and junk in the eyes when we are done hunting and when we stop for a break.
Injury is going to happen, esp. with a hard chargng dog. Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum