Bella and the Cone of Shame

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Bella and the Cone of Shame

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:40 pm

Bella had an itchy spot on the left side of her neck that she wouldn't quit scratching at with her hind leg. I checked for bites and other things that might be bugging her and never did see anything. She finally caught the spot with her claws and dug some hair out leaving weeping bare skin in an open patch on her neck. That did it! Into the tub she went for a good anti bacterial soap scrubbing. After the cleaning I put Hydrogen Peroxide on the area to clean it up. Then into the Cone of Shame she went. She spent all day Saturday moping and laying around with a hung head. By Monday she decided she could live with it. She has been running into every corner in the house with the edges of the cone. She dang near bowled me over rushing into the back room when she heard me pouring her breakfast in the bowl this morning. The cone has been worth the money I paid for it in amusement and is keeping her from digging at the spot. Toss in having her running her second heat with every male dog in the neighborhood camping outside my fence all day. She is all kinds of upset about life. My usual happy lab is being more than a bit of a drama queen.

Last edited by ScaupHunter on Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Re: Bella and the Cone of Shame

Postby bknilvr00 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:46 pm

My lab shredded his when he got snipped. It lasted less than a day... Bella seems to have accepted her fate.

Sent from my space modulator.
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:59 pm

Bella is a pretty mellow lab. She is home alone for the first day with the Cone. We will see how many pieces it is in when I get back to the house.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:18 pm

Best thing ever is watching a dog with a cone trying to get into a crate. :lol3:
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:40 am

I make them out of a household elcheapho bucket 10liter/2 gallon? just cut bottom out leaving about an inch around the outside then drill holes around that edge and zip tie it to dogs collar. they stand up to the knocks better than the ones from the vet. our cocker backed into his kennel when he had one on after the big snip.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby DCronk » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:18 pm

At least she leaves it on. Mine figured out how to wedge it between 2 objects and yank it off, then proceed to shred it. After 3 of them I just gave up and put and old shirt with the sleeves cut off on her so she couldn't lick (stomach surgery).
DCronk
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum