to old to teach new tricks?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

to old to teach new tricks?

Postby walker00 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:35 pm

hi i am new to this site and duck hunting period for that matter i recently received a black lab that is said to be pure breed and from good lines but he was free he is close to 8 months old and i was curious if he was to old to teach how to hunt. he has not been worked with much other than just being a household dog. the man i got him from was going to train him but his son was to afraid of the dog so he had to give him away. any help would be much appreciated.
walker00
hunter

Re: to old to teach new tricks?

Postby dogyak » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:22 pm

By no means is that pup to old at all . First off , what kind of drive does it have - have you've thrown an object and did it run like a bat out of hell or just trot out like a sunday drive . Does it retrieve at all , this would help too know if the dog has it in him or her to be a gundog . If so , get a program and start it just like it was a 8 wk old pup . Even if the dog knows sit , follow that program to the Tee and enjoy the ride .
dogyak
hunter

Re: to old to teach new tricks?

Postby walker00 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:01 am

He loves to go after anything thrown but he don't always want to bring it back but anywhere he goes he is in a hurry.
walker00
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum