Introduction of new dog

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Introduction of new dog

Postby bhroberts1 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:47 am

We are "adopting" a new dog, the owner can no longer take care of the dog. The new dog is a 3 year old male black lab who is a slim 92 pounds. My current dog is a 3 year old female black lab, she does fine with other dogs in the yard, but once they try coming in the house she gets territorial. She never gets overly physical or dangerous just enough to put others in their place. They are both hunting dogs. I am looking at recommendations on how to introduce them to each other at the house and potentially hunting situations.

Suggestions/things that have worked for others........

Thank you.
bhroberts1
hunter

Re: Introduction of new dog

Postby go get the bird » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:39 am

Put them in a room, let them sort it out. Lol.

We are watching my brother-in-laws dog. She's a corgi-blue heeler mix. She thought she would lay down on one of our dogs beds, but our husky wasn't about to let it happen. They tussled for a minute, and all was good. Boundaries were set and understood.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby Dawnsearlylight » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:42 am

A lot of this will depend on how the new dog reacts to your female's attempts to be the boss. Take the female with you when you go to pick up the new dog and stop on the way home to introduce them on neutral ground. I generally do not interfere in dominance battles unless they start to incur vet bills, which will happen when you have two animals which consider themselves to be equals in the Alpha department, and in that case the dogs are separated for life.

Other problems occur with dogs which, for whatever reason, lack social dog skills, and invite dominance displays because of their rude behavior. I see this a lot in young labs; I had a client whose rude pup wound up with a stitch job to the head; he was more respectful for a couple of months and then started soliciting a thrashing again, so I set him up with one of my bitches to remind him of his manners. She gave him a real CTJ, totally bloodless but very effective, problem solved.
The lab and golden think: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; they must be gods."
The Chesapeake thinks: "My humans give me food, shelter and love; I must be a God."
Dawnsearlylight
hunter

Postby bhroberts1 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:24 am

The two dogs have already hunted the last two seasons together so they know each other and we went out this past weekend and did some retrieving drills together. Should I go and get this other dog and bring him home or should I have a current owner bring him to our house?
bhroberts1
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:31 am

Generally, you don't and won't have a problem since they are 2 different genders. As a rule a male and female don't get into an all out fight. The female may snap when he's checking out her stuff, but you shouldn't have a problem. If I were you, I'd pick up the male myself and bring him home. Don't attempt to make her jealous though, just let them get well aquainted on their own.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:46 am

Obviously your female feels she's the Alpha inside your home? WRONG!!! You and your family members are the Alphas, anywhere, all of the time...end of story. Sounds to me like your female needs to learn this lesson, quickly.
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby Edge » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:23 am

Most females think they're Alphas. I know my wife does. My wife just rescued a seven year old black sheppard and brought him home the same day I came home with a six week old black lab. I was a little concerned because I thought she was coming home with a puppy, not a full grown dog. The weird thing is, I think the sheppard thinks the puppy is one of his. He would actualy grab the pup by his collar and drag him out of the way when I pull in the driveway.
Edge
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum